Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Drums

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-09-2019, 03:13 PM
ardrummer ardrummer is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 773
Default DC1000 Snare Drum

I got the DC-1000 Percussion snare drum from Joe. It is the REMO Acousticon shell with a chrome wrap over it. I had read that some of the early REMO shells had issues if they were cranked down to much when tuning. Well, I experienced it first hand unfortunately. I really didn't think I went real tight at all but it crapped up the bearing edge. The DC kit I got has perfect bearing edges but I don't tune my toms/kick high at all so they will be fine. This snare is pretty rare and I got it signed and it was more of a collectors item anyway, but I wish it didn't get messed up
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	snare2.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	127421   Click image for larger version

Name:	snare4.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	127422   Click image for larger version

Name:	snare.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	127423   Click image for larger version

Name:	snare3.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	127424  

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-09-2019, 05:55 PM
OddBall OddBall is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Boston MA.
Posts: 6,408
Default Re: DC1000 Snare Drum

What'd you hit it with,....an ax ?
__________________
It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-09-2019, 07:38 PM
ardrummer ardrummer is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 773
Default Re: DC1000 Snare Drum

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddBall View Post
What'd you hit it with,....an ax ?
I didn't hit it with anything, lol. From my research, the first gen Acousticon shells were prone to damage if tuned to high and that REMO fixed the problem later on by making the shells thicker etc. I didn't tune it up very tight compared to my other snares when I noticed the shell deforming. They aren't like regular shells, material wise.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-10-2019, 06:44 AM
JimmySticks JimmySticks is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Queens NY
Posts: 601
Default Re: DC1000 Snare Drum

Ouch!

I know that had to hurt a little...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-10-2019, 07:16 AM
BosLover BosLover is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Central New Jersey
Posts: 1,282
Default Re: DC1000 Snare Drum

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardrummer View Post
I got the DC-1000 Percussion snare drum from Joe. It is the REMO Acousticon shell with a chrome wrap over it. I had read that some of the early REMO shells had issues if they were cranked down to much when tuning. Well, I experienced it first hand unfortunately. I really didn't think I went real tight at all but it crapped up the bearing edge. The DC kit I got has perfect bearing edges but I don't tune my toms/kick high at all so they will be fine. This snare is pretty rare and I got it signed and it was more of a collectors item anyway, but I wish it didn't get messed up
Although I've known about this problem for years, this is the first time I've ever actually seen an example of the issue. I thought pressure on the bearing edge of these drums just caused it to uniformly compress over time. I never realized the bearing edge actually collapses in on itself. Ouch. That's really disappointing. I don't understand how did they ever got away with selling shells made of that material.
__________________
Mark
BosLover

Last edited by BosLover; 09-10-2019 at 07:29 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-10-2019, 08:17 AM
ardrummer ardrummer is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 773
Default Re: DC1000 Snare Drum

Quote:
Originally Posted by BosLover View Post
Although I've known about this problem for years, this is the first time I've ever actually seen an example of the issue. I thought pressure on the bearing edge of these drums just caused it to uniformly compress over time. I never realized the bearing edge actually collapses in on itself. Ouch. That's really disappointing. I don't understand how did they ever got away with selling shells made of that material.
I have a REMO piccolo snare with a latter version of the Acousticon shell and it is thicker and can be cranked as tight as you want it with no issues. Like I mentioned before, the 1st gen toms and kick won't be an issue because they won't be tuned as high as the snare (at least I don't tune them high/tight). The DC kit sounds awesome in part, because of the super thin shells....resonate really nicely. It seems that if you are getting a snare, it may be wise to avoid the first gen shells (220 Acousticon SE), although...this is my only experience with one, so I can't speak for all of them.

I found this flyer/ad for newer "stronger" REMO shells that come with a warranty.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Remo_flyer-3.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	127425  

Last edited by ardrummer; 09-10-2019 at 08:28 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-10-2019, 08:42 AM
BosLover BosLover is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Central New Jersey
Posts: 1,282
Default Re: DC1000 Snare Drum

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardrummer View Post
I have a REMO piccolo snare with a latter version of the Acousticon shell and it is thicker and can be cranked as tight as you want it with no issues. Like I mentioned before, the 1st gen toms and kick won't be an issue because they won't be tuned as high as the snare (at least I don't tune them high/tight). The DC kit sounds awesome in part, because of the super thin shells....resonate really nicely. It seems that if you are getting a snare, it may be wise to avoid the first gen shells (220 Acousticon SE), although...this is my only experience with one, so I can't speak for all of them.

I found this flyer/ad for newer "stronger" REMO shells that come with a warranty.
I wonder if a picture of the damage sent to them would get a response.
__________________
Mark
BosLover
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-10-2019, 09:51 AM
idrum4fun idrum4fun is online now
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,451
Default Re: DC1000 Snare Drum

I wasn't aware of the Acousticon 220 Series. I did know about the 316 and 516 Series. Simply put, the shells were 3/16" and 5/16" in thickness, respectively. I'm not sure what the thickness of the 220 would be, but obviously thin enough to cause that collapsing bearing issue. Bummer!

-Mark
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-10-2019, 11:34 AM
BosLover BosLover is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Central New Jersey
Posts: 1,282
Default Re: DC1000 Snare Drum

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrum4fun View Post
I wasn't aware of the Acousticon 220 Series. I did know about the 316 and 516 Series. Simply put, the shells were 3/16" and 5/16" in thickness, respectively. I'm not sure what the thickness of the 220 would be, but obviously thin enough to cause that collapsing bearing issue. Bummer!

-Mark
The shell thickness is 3/16"??? Wow, that is really thin.
__________________
Mark
BosLover
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-10-2019, 02:06 PM
ardrummer ardrummer is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 773
Default Re: DC1000 Snare Drum

Quote:
Originally Posted by BosLover View Post
I wonder if a picture of the damage sent to them would get a response.
I did send a pic of the DC kit and they said "wow, those are the first gen shells and are in really good shape...not alot of those around anymore". So, they were a little surprised to see then in good shape is how I took it. The tom and kick shells are super thin...way thinner than any of the other 10 + kits I have owned.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2009 VSDwebdesign