Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 114.83090%

1972/80 Pearl B4514 "Stewart Copeland"

Had this drum back in the day, and was also working with a band that did a few Police tunes. I was heavily influenced by Stewart Copeland and the Police back in the 80's .. and I'll bet a lot of us in this age group were! .. and played this exact snare drum set up in this way with a CAST batter hoop ala Stewart Copeland. He still has his and calls it "The" Snare. :) I even had the TAMA Octabans! I have to dig out some pics. Ah, hero worship! Another drum I completely regret selling. Been looking for the correct model for a while and finally found one. This is after a little repair and restoration. I had truly forgot just how much CRACK this drum has set up in this way, and of course being a heavy brass shell it's extremely articulate too. Take note of the very nice fully adjustable butt piece and the very cool "Gladstone" throw. Many think Stewart played a Pearl "Jupiter", but no ... it was the B4514. Truthfully, the drums are identical save the parallel throw system on the "Jupiter". That is the only difference. The B4514 is much simpler and much less finicky. Of note is that Stewart is a stalwart TAMA endorser!, but this is the snare drum he used for recordings and tours. He says he can't remember where/how he got it, but it became "The" Snare! :)

Tommyp

1 attachments
Posted on 7 years ago

... and here are some additional views ...

Tommyp

Posted on 7 years ago

Yours must be a later model than mine, as the butt end is fully adjustable. Mine has the T-shaped butt end, adjustable with 2 screws only. I love mine!!

1964 Ludwig Champagne Super Classic
1970 Ludwig Blue Oyster Super Classic
1977 Rogers Big R Londoner 5 ebony
1972/1978 Rogers Powertone/Big R mix ebony
60's Ludwig Supersensitive
Pearl B4514 COB snare ( the SC snare)
Pearl Firecracker
PJL WMP maple snare
Odds & Sods

Sabians, Paistes, Zildjians, Zyns, UFIPs, MIJs etc
Item may be subject to change!
Posted on 7 years ago

From funkypoodle

Yours must be a later model than mine, as the butt end is fully adjustable. Mine has the T-shaped butt end, adjustable with 2 screws only. I love mine!!

FP!

Yes indeed ... you have the very 1st butt piece design, as did mine back in 1979. Not totally sure when they switched to this fully adjustable butt piece, but I'll try and research it. Otherwise, everything else is the same. They are amazing .. "sleeper" .. snare drums! Outfitted with the triple flanged batter hoop as supplied by Pearl, the drum opens up even more making it suitable for any style music/playing!

An addendum: This style PEARL badge was used from 1972 up 'till 1980 .. so .. I suspect the "T" butt was improved shortly within the drums run. Interestingly, the butt piece is still the original "T", only PEARL added the adjustment knob so one didn't have to get out a screwdriver ... otherwise, same butt! :)

Tommyp

1 attachments
Posted on 7 years ago

The 6 1/2" deep is called the Pearl B4514L.

I have that one.

I like the later adjustable butte.

I have the one with the 2 screws.

BLAEMIRE DRUMS
Thanks to Mr. Jerry Jenkins
Posted on 7 years ago

From Tommyp

FP!Yes indeed ... you have the very 1st butt piece design, as did mine back in 1979. Not totally sure when they switched to this fully adjustable butt piece, but I'll try and research it. Otherwise, everything else is the same. They are amazing .. "sleeper" .. snare drums! Outfitted with the triple flanged batter hoop as supplied by Pearl, the drum opens up even more making it suitable for any style music/playing!An addendum: This style PEARL badge was used from 1972 up 'till 1980 .. so .. I suspect the "T" butt was improved shortly within the drums run. Interestingly, the butt piece is still the original "T", only PEARL added the adjustment knob so one didn't have to get out a screwdriver ... otherwise, same butt! :) Tommyp

Every picture in the VDG catalogues from 1972 to 1980 show this snare on the strainer side only, so not much help...the only difference I can spot is the air vent seems to have moved to below the lines in the shell in the 1978 catalogue pics.

Pearl Firecracker
PJL WMP maple snare
Odds & Sods

Posted on 7 years ago

From funkypoodle

Every picture in the VDG catalogues from 1972 to 1980 show this snare on the strainer side only, so not much help...the only difference I can spot is the air vent seems to have moved to below the lines in the shell in the 1978 catalogue pics.

FP!

I found it ... I have a ton of catalogs and just needed the time to search. So!, the adjustable butt piece makes its first showing in the 1973 catalog! There are more than a few pics with the butt piece showing on the B4514 snare drum. Like so many things though, who knows exactly when all the stock with the "T" butt were sold out. Still, 1973 for the adjustable!

Tommy

Posted on 7 years ago

From Tommyp

FP!I found it ... I have a ton of catalogs and just needed the time to search. So!, the adjustable butt piece makes its first showing in the 1973 catalog! There are more than a few pics with the butt piece showing on the B4514 snare drum. Like so many things though, who knows exactly when all the stock with the "T" butt were sold out. Still, 1973 for the adjustable!Tommy

Very gracious of you! I guess that makes mine from 1972(ish).

Pearl Firecracker
PJL WMP maple snare
Odds & Sods

Posted on 7 years ago

From funkypoodle

Very gracious of you! I guess that makes mine from 1972(ish).

I was able to lift two pages out of the 1973 PEARL catalog which show the adjustable butt piece on the B4514 snare drum ... have a look! The snare drum shown with the 3 piece is the STEEL shell model .. but .. the butt and Gladstone are the same as the COB B4514. Certainly suggests that the change from the "T" butt with the two screws to the adjustable happened quickly! ENJOY!

Tommyp

Posted on 7 years ago

From Tommyp

I was able to lift two pages out of the 1973 PEARL catalog which show the adjustable butt piece on the B4514 snare drum ... have a look! The snare drum shown with the 3 piece is the STEEL shell model .. but .. the butt and Gladstone are the same as the COB B4514. Certainly suggests that the change from the "T" butt with the two screws to the adjustable happened quickly! ENJOY!Tommyp

Thanks again Tommy! The proof is in the pudding. I'll grab these for posterity. Here's a pic of my 4514 on a B-714D, brothers in brass. I have my heart set on a Pearl FG kit in the near future. I love how they sound & next winter when it's -40 again I'll leave my Rogers at home and schlep the FG kit around x-mas3

Pearl Firecracker
PJL WMP maple snare
Odds & Sods

Posted on 7 years ago