Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 106.81420%

I need help idenifying an old Ludwig snare drum

Hello...I'm new on here and I thought maybe someone on here might be able to give me a hand identifying an old Ludwig snare drum. I've been a working drummer most of my life and I've loved playing this drum but last year I was diagnosed with colon cancer, and not having any insurance I have ridiculoous medical bills. So, I'm forced to sell most of my stuff. I have a feeling this drum is worth something substantial, and I don't want to get ripped off.

I'm not the original owner, so I can't verify that everything (or anything for that matter) on it is original, but here is what I have:

It's a 6.5x14 chrome over wood Ludwig snare drum with a pointy blue and olive badge. It's has a P-87 throwoff with the matching butt plate and die cast rims. It has classic ludwig lugs. I'll put up a pic or 2 and maybe that will help. Thanks in advance :)

Posted on 13 years ago

It's a Rock/Concert snare drum. Here is a maple one in the 1978 catalog:

[IMG]http://www.vintagedrumguide.com/images/ludwig_snaredrums/1978_LUDWIG_SNARES5.jpg[/IMG]

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 13 years ago

Thank you so much! :)

ok...now for my next question..lol. I have to sell it...any idea what it's worth and what a fair price would be?

Posted on 13 years ago

Best thing to do is to check Ebay for completed auctions for same/similar items.

I know it wasn't a popular drum, so the value will likely not be very high compared to some other models.

My guess would be probably something between $200-$400. Yours appears to be in nice condition from what I can tell.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 13 years ago

cancerdude;93437

I've loved playing this drum but last year I was diagnosed with colon cancer, and not having any insurance I have ridiculous medical bills.

Wishing you the best with that. Don't ever stop fighting.

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 13 years ago

Sorry to hear of your health concerns,will have a good thought for you,Welcome to the forum by the way.Some others will probably chime in on your drum.Nice drum by the way,I love the vibe of the classic strainer and I think ludwig makes good snares whether metal or wood,some one will want to get that one to play for sure.Hope you stay and hang out with us.

Posted on 13 years ago

I love that P87 throw-off, undoubtedly my favorite out of any Ludwig and just about all the newer offerings of today as well. However, the butt isn't... I never cared for the "individual" snare tuning once I finally got it home and started living with it no matter how cool I may have thought it initially (maybe I just never really gave it a fair shake) . I ended up changing out the butt and the snares on my drum and it's been my favorite ever since.

If prospective buyers are a bit leary of the snares just make mention that it's an easy swap out to a less complicate solution.

Sending good vides to >>>>> CD, hope things work out for you.

Posted on 13 years ago

Thanks for all the help and the good thoughts...I really appreciate it. And I couldn't agree with you more about the P-87 butt plate too. When I got the drum at the drum shop I ordered a wire and a gut replacement snare for it....it set me back over a hundred bucks for the gut one and I'm thinking it was probably fifty bucks or so for the wires. This is in older money too, because I bought it in '92 I think. I wasted my money though because I never needed them and they're in the other room still in the box, lol.

I've been contemplating selling this guy for a while now but I've never seen one like it for sale. That's why I came here to pester you guys :) I'm gonna stick around a bit though til you guys get tired of me hehe. Who knows, I might even be able to help one of you guys out with some info some time.

At any rate, thanks again for the info, and thanks for making me feel welcome as a newbie.

Posted on 13 years ago

Hey CD, I would consider unloading just the extra snares if you decide to keep the drum; I'm sure somebody, somewhere will want them for their drum/project ... eventually. If not, it's a component that can be used as extra incentive if you sell the entire rig. Good luck on the decsion.

Posted on 13 years ago

Hoppy, I've been thinking that exact thing. But, I'm torn whether I should try to sell the extra snare wires/guts separately or as a buying incentive to include with the drum. Having had no idea what the drum is worth (I know what it's worth to me and no one will ever give me that much for it, lol) I've been hesitant to list it on ebay since I know people are so sensitive these days about asking prices for gear and so forth what with the economy being what it is...and comparing prices of gear like this with newer dDrums in fluorescent green and so forth lol.

I do need to make up my mind and do something though.

Posted on 13 years ago