Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > General Drum Questions

Old 03-31-2010, 11:39 AM
Contributing Member

Default 1970s S/S Ludwig Thunder Down Under

Yeah Gidday

Here's some before's & afters of me latest score & project, I worked my arse off on these while the family was overseas visiting family. My fingers were bleeding on more than one occasion through sanding & straightening these beasts out, I even lost 5 kgs in the process...honest!

Whata ya think...worth it ??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5.JPG
Views:	377
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	14953   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	14954   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.JPG
Views:	448
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	14955   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.JPG
Views:	374
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	14956  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	380
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	14957  
Old 03-31-2010, 05:52 PM
Advanced Member

Default Re: 1970s S/S Ludwig Thunder Down Under

Wow, they look great!! Those have got to be one the hardest wraps to deal with. Everything shows on that finish. Great job, but those luddies are truly hi maintainance.
Old 03-31-2010, 06:15 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubthumper View Post
Wow, they look great!! Those have got to be one the hardest wraps to deal with. Everything shows on that finish. Great job, but those luddies are truly hi maintainance.
They aren't wrapped, they're Stainless Steel shells that buff to a shine.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:43 PM
Advanced Member

Really ? My bad. Learned something new today.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:54 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagemore2000 View Post
DNO man what a waste of time!!!, box those tubs up and send em to me!! Of course you know my answer have you made any thunder down under yet??? well done pal!!!
Thanks man..Yeah why not give em away, after all its easter & stainless drums would last longer than eggs especially in this house! I used these last sat for a jam & from getting these & rebuilding them I only had a few minutes left to tune them before having to leave for the jam. I put clear emperors on & RMV reso's but will be goin Bonham style with coated emperors for batters & coated abassadors as reso's. I have aluminium in the process getting rolled for bass hoops, once rolled I will weld together & polish them out they will look good & set it off better then the black ones I reckon. Was it you who contacted me about the 18" floor tom kit? Have only just got this pc back, cheers.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:58 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubthumper View Post
Really ? My bad. Learned something new today.
A wrap may of saved the bleeding fingers though :-}
Old 03-31-2010, 08:03 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
yeah Dno that was me, man they sold for $2300.00 I wish you would have gotten them, if I run into the bonham sizes do you want me to contact you again??
Thanks for that I lost you when this thing blew up! Yeah mate id love a 18" & a 26" as everyone would but the postage from your neck of the woods justs smokes the project your in the UK ?
Old 03-31-2010, 08:25 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
yeah, everybody thinks that it is a chrome finish and it is a high buffed finish, ludwig stainless steel shells are marine grade stianless steel, the most expensive stainless steel there is!! that is one of the reasons they were only made for such a short period, also why they are so expensive today, and the dunnett reissues are no where in the class of the ludwigs are!! but i am also kind prejudice!!
The quality of the stainless was better back then too it had more chromium & nickel than it does today. I have had a bit of involvement in the super yacht stainless industry over the years was production supervisor of the S/S fabrication on golfer Greg Normans boat "Aussie Rules" & others. R D makes some sexy gear & no doubt is a great craftsman, I love his work but do agree...you cant beat anything original & in this case these will only go up in value, I can't see a reproduction going up in value as much as the originals.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:30 PM

I take it the sizes are 12,13,16, and 22?
Old 03-31-2010, 10:01 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Dno, I have had the great fortune to find a master stainless steel craftsman, that can do crazy things with marine grade stainless steel, I will be using him soon to buff my 26" bass back to it's former glory, also Dick Gerlach of the original Ludwig factory lives here in North Carolina, and he was the head product development guy for the entire stainless steel program, I had the good fortune to talk with him the day he retired from ludwig here in North Carolina!! I am thinking of starting the stainless steel society back, it was a group of us across the US that are steel owners and lovers. what are your thoughts about something like this??
Hell yeah! Im in.