Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Drums

Old 03-23-2014, 11:12 PM
Advanced Member

Default So I bought a Round Badge kit today...

And I'm so excited I just had to share. 60s RB with 6-ply shells, original blue sparkle... paper tags intact, all original everything as far as I can tell, except maybe a couple of tension rods. minor pitting on some hardware, should polish up very nicely. ALL internal mufflers are intact, including the Pratt BD muffler. Newly outfitted with Aquarian Vintage heads (medium on top, thin on bottom). I've only spent a few minutes fiddling, but they sound really good.

The kit is unfortunately missing a few things... here's what I need to make it complete:

1 - bass drum spur washer (the chrome washer that sits on the exterior of the shell under the spur itself.
1 - cymbal holder
2 - bass drum hoop inlays - any suggestions on which supplier would sell an acceptable substitute?

Been waiting a long time for a kit like this!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rbkit1.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	68502   Click image for larger version

Name:	rbkit2.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	68503   Click image for larger version

Name:	rbkit3.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	68504   Click image for larger version

Name:	rbkit4.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	68505  

Click image for larger version

Name:	rbkit5.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	68506  
Old 03-23-2014, 11:26 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: So I bought a Round Badge kit today...

WOW! Sweet!

I've got no Gretsch parts, sorry. BD Hoop inlay; maybe look for a Ludwig? In the pics it looks very similar, but then it might not be in person.
Old 03-23-2014, 11:39 PM
Advanced Member

The channel in the Gretsch hoops, to my eye, looks wider than the Ludwig inlays. I'll have to pull my Ludwig BD out of it's case and see them close together. I'm hoping the blue sparkle from Precision Drum Co. doesn't look too obviously different.
Old 03-24-2014, 12:10 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Nice drums.
I bought my bd inlay from these folks and I'm very happy with the inlay and the service.

Scroll down the page close to the bottom and you'll see Inlay information
http://www.precisiondrum.com/html/bo....html#sparkles

Sorry - I see you're already ahead of me.

Last edited by Kona; 03-24-2014 at 12:12 AM. Reason: added teext
Old 03-24-2014, 12:11 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

You should be able to pick up the other parts you need on eBay or some members here may have what you'e looking for.

Gary
Old 03-24-2014, 07:04 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

I'd suggest you contact Precision Drum and ask them to send out a sample of their blue sparkle wrap for your in-lays so that you can compare it to what you've currently got on your drums.

GREAT looking kit, BTW!
Old 03-24-2014, 08:33 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

very nice i love old gretch

once the brass ceases to glitter, and the drum looses its luster, and the stage remains dark, all you have left is the timbre of family.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:43 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Bass drum hoop inlays on a set from the factory tend to age differently than the same wrap on the bass drum and other drums in the set. Why? I have no idea. Maybe consider using silver sparkle inlays for a nice contrast. I see that the rail consolette looks complete. Please don't remove it. If those drums were mine, I'd use that consolette for the "mounted" tom.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leedybdp View Post
Bass drum hoop inlays on a set from the factory tend to age differently than the same wrap on the bass drum and other drums in the set. Why? I have no idea. Maybe consider using silver sparkle inlays for a nice contrast. I see that the rail consolette looks complete. Please don't remove it. If those drums were mine, I'd use that consolette for the "mounted" tom.
That's not a bad idea! I could also use chrome wrap for inlays as Slingerland did. I think I'll get some samples and see which will work the best.

I would be willing to bet the difference in aging comes from the difference in adhesive - I've had a few kits where the only thing holding the inlays on the drum were a couple of staples. I've had others where the inlays were glued in place with what looks like a carpenter's glue.

I have no intention of removing the rail consolette, but I tried setting the kit up using it, and I found I couldn't get the tom high enough for my liking... I need to play around with it a little more - I was just excited to get the kit set up and playable so I could bang on 'em.
Old 03-24-2014, 11:10 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

PrecisionDrum sent me small samples. Also, I asked them if they had the inlay that has the small 'Hexagon" peices in the Sparkle wrap just like what Gretsch used. They did and I bought Silver, Gold and Green....in case I want to switch them out for variety. You also have to be careful about measuring the width...exaclty, because they custom cut it for you. They made an error on my first order but were very good about recuting and sending me new inaly...free with no charge for the shipping. Very good service!

Regarding the rail mount and tom height. I ran into the same problem as you and I bought a new longer 'tongue' for my rail mount...works fine. I got mine from Jim Petty.

Gary

Tags
6 ply , 60s , gretsch , roundbadge