Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 114.83090%

Star 1961 Radio King Clone

Ladies and Gentlemen, boys and girls...after owning this snare drum for almost 8 years (purchased May, 2010) I've finally cleaned and detailed it! It NEVER takes me this long to detail a drum!

The finish is very faded over much of the drum, which was originally a beautiful red glass glitter, and there is some flaking and pimpling on some of the chrome. Still I recognized the drum for what is was...an attempt by the Japanese to cash in on the Slingerland Radio King snare drum! My guess is that Slingerland found out about the drum and insisted it needed to change. By the 1963 catalog, the drum did look different. I plan to post another topic on all this, including more pictures of my drum and catalog pictures showing how the drum, No. 2256, morphed from 1961 to 1966. In the meantime, I hope you like my RK clone!

-Mark

1 attachments
Posted on 6 years ago

Very cool Mark. Congratulations on the record for holding off on detailing a drum. Now, let's see........... Where was I eight years ago?

What do you think of the sound, and do you have an actual Radio King with which to compare this clone?

Posted on 6 years ago

I dig it! I like the faded finish. Red sparkle MIJ's are plentiful, but yours is now a "custom" wrap.

Posted on 6 years ago

Very cool. I love my Star snare - these snares have a really great crack that really pokes through. This is indeed a super cool instrument you have - cheers!

thejohnlec
Ohio Valley
Posted on 6 years ago

From Dan Boucher

Very cool Mark. Congratulations on the record for holding off on detailing a drum. Now, let's see........... Where was I eight years ago?What do you think of the sound, and do you have an actual Radio King with which to compare this clone?

Hi Dan!

Yep, it took me almost 8 years. I guess that is a record! LoLoLoLo

As to the sound. Well, I never intended to play it, but to have sitting pretty in my drum room. I tapped it a few times and I can't say it's the best sounding MIJ drum I have! And, no, I've don't have a real Radio King, but would like to!

-Mark

Posted on 6 years ago

From vyacheslav

I dig it! I like the faded finish. Red sparkle MIJ's are plentiful, but yours is now a "custom" wrap.

Yes, I guess it is a "custom" wrap!

-Mark

Posted on 6 years ago

From thejohnlec

Very cool. I love my Star snare - these snares have a really great crack that really pokes through. This is indeed a super cool instrument you have - cheers!

I have about 6 Star snare drums. The best sounding one I have wears a "Revelle" badge, has the thicker shell with gray paint and has 10 lugs, which you rarely see with these MIJ drums. I should post a picture!

-Mark

Posted on 6 years ago

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery that mediocrity can pay to greatness" Oscar Wilde

Numbers wise this clone may be more rare than a real Radio King! Like it, thanks.

Posted on 6 years ago

Thumbs up, Mark!! I like the faded finish...Adds character!!

Cheers

1976 Ludwig Mach 4 Thermogloss 26-18-14-14sn
1978 Ludwig Stainless 22-22-18-16-14-13-12 c/w 6-8-10-12-13-14-15-16-18-20-22-24 concert toms
1975 Sonor Phonic Centennials Metallic Pewter 22-16-13-12-14sn (D506)
1971 Ludwig Classic Bowling Ball OBP 22-16-14-13
1960's Stewart Peacock Pearl 20-16-12-14sn
1980`s Ludwig Coliseum Piano Black 8x14 snare
1973 Rogers Superten 5x14 & 6.5x14 COS snares
1970`s John Grey Capri Aquamarine Sparkle 5x14 snare
1941 Ludwig & Ludwig Super 8x14 snare
Posted on 6 years ago

From slingerfan

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery that mediocrity can pay to greatness" Oscar WildeNumbers wise this clone may be more rare than a real Radio King! Like it, thanks.

slingerfan! I've only seen about 2 of these over the years, both on eBay. I guess that does make it a bit rare!

-Mark

Posted on 6 years ago
Action Another action Something else here