Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 114.83090%

Possibly Good, Maybe Garbage? 1964 Ludwig Kit

I'm actually a bit confused about it. In my original post, I thought the drums were lacquer. However I thought maybe it was not lacquer for a few reasons. 1) The finish didn't seem to have much gloss to it, and 2) There is a really noticeable seam on the floor tom, which I thought was indicative of a wrap. I might be wrong on both counts. One of the reasons that I joined this forum, is that I never really payed a lot of attention to this stuff before, and my knowledge of vintage drums has been cobbled together from things I've seen on the net. So I fully admit that I'm late to the party. Is there another explanation for that seam?

Posted on 7 years ago

Just read K.O.'s post. That might clear things up for me a bit.

Posted on 7 years ago

There would be a visible seam for either finish. In the case of lacquer you'd be able to see the seam where the wood of the shell laps into itself. The outside of a vintage Ludwig 3 ply shell isn't perfectly smooth all around like a modern shell, you can see/feel a vertical seam in the wood. Also the lacquer finishes were not super glossy like on modern drums.

Look at the edge of a shell and it should be apparent whether it's a layer of plastic wrap on top of the wood of just a layer of paint on the outside ply. If it is a wrapped drum (depending on when it was made) the wrap will go into the scarf joint where the two ends of the plywood overlap (the wrap was put on the plywood before it was bent into a shell up until roughly 1968).

Posted on 7 years ago
Action Another action Something else here