Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 114.83090%

Neil Peart Slingerland 3-Ply Artist Snare.

Hi Dr. I am new to this forum and have just a few questions regarding what seems to be a confusing/mystery among drummers. I have been a Neil Peart/Rush fan for many years now and have always loved the sound of Neil's Slingerland Artist Snare. Like most drummers, I had read that his Slingerland Artist was a 1960's 5.5x14 Solid Maple Shell with Maple Reinforcing Rings. Just five years ago I had learned that his Artist Snare was in fact a 5.5x14 3-Ply/with Maple Reinforcing Rings, Copper over Wood Slingerland Artist from the Mid 70's with a Zoomatic Strainer, 8 Sound King Lugs, Black and Silver Niles, Ill Badge and tone control. He has said in several interviews I have read that he bought this Artist Snare second hand for $60.00 in the mid 70's, about 74-75 ish or so, from some Drumstore in the US. Every drummer I have ever talked to has said that his Artist was the Solid Shell version. I guess the term Artist Snare throws everyone off, because Slingerland made 3 different types, the Solid Shell, the 3-Ply, and the 5-Ply without Rings. And Neil had said many times in Modern Drummer Interviews that his Slingerland Artist was not the Top of the Line model which means that his was the 3-Ply with Maple Reinforcing Rings. The only confusing part that I am trying to figure out is what 3-Ply Wood Composition make-up was his Snare? Someone had told me that his Artist Snare had an Inner Ply of Philippine Mahogany and not Maple! Did Slingerland ever by accident use Philippine (Luan) Mahogany wood as an Inner Ply for their 3-Ply Artist Snares during the mid 70's? My theory for the other two plies are-thick Poplar ply for the middle, and African or Honduras Mahogany ply underneath the Copper plated Metal Wrap. Thank you so much for time! Any info regarding this would great. Phil Cormier Fitchburg, Mass 01420

Posted on 17 years ago

Have you looked through the Doctors history pages? Excellent source! Here's a couple of his shell descriptions that might help:

http://www.vintagesnaredrums.com/drcjw/article_3_shells9.html

http://www.vintagesnaredrums.com/drcjw/article_3_shells10.html

Posted on 17 years ago

Hi, I have already read and looked at the Dr.'s Slingerland Shell history page as well as the photos of all the Shells but none of the info answers my question. Did Slingerland ever use Philippine Mahogany-AKA-Luan which looks similar to Basswood, for the Inner Ply for their 3-Ply Artist Snare Drums during the Mid 1970's? To what I have heard Slingerland was not interested in quality at this point, so they were using whatever they had available. Someone also told me that with Slingerland anything was possible when it came to their Shells. Thanks for your response. Phil Cormier

Posted on 17 years ago

[COLOR="Navy"]Phil:

No, Niles Slingerland did not use Luan. The first time Luan appeared on a Slingerland-branded shell was in 1989, well after the end of Chicago-land Slingerland, when the new Gretsch owners began marketing its imported Spirit line. But we'll discuss Gretsch Slingerland in future articles.

As stated in the Slingerland shell article referenced by btnkbndt, from the middle of 1963 through the end of Niles Slingerland in 1986 the Niles 3-ply shell was thin maple interior, thick poplar middle and either thin maple or thin red mahogany exterior ply. When reinforcing rings were used, they were solid maple.

I am afraid you are the unfortunate recipient of either some weak historical analysis or perhaps some creative revisionist history, by whomever. Competitive and fiscal pressures notwithstanding, Niles Slingerland was always very concerned about the quality of its product. And no - when it comes to Slingerland shells, "anything" is not possible.

We'll have a lot more to say in upcoming Slingerland articles - there is so much, and we've only just begun.

In any case, you may rest assured that the interior of Neil Peart's #153 was maple. And Neil is correct - in the mid-1970s the top-line Slingerland wood snare drum was no longer the #153 Artist - it was the 10-lug 5-ply Buddy Rich TDR.

DrCJW[/COLOR]

Posted on 17 years ago

Hi Dr. Thank you so much for clearing up all of the false info that I had been told, by someone who I know of that did not do their homework when it comes to vintage Slingerland Artist 3-Ply snare drums! All the best to you and I love all of the info you have so far on this site on Slingerland! Thanks again so much. Phil Cormier Fitchburg, Mass 01420

Posted on 17 years ago

Here are some pics of a gold Niles badge 3 ply " Artist " snare for sale here in Japan . I thought Artist drums of this era were all SOLID shell ? I also thought that the 3 ply shells were painted beige inside . Someone please educate me on this . Thanks .

3 attachments
1963 Gretsch Progressive Jazz Champagne Sparkle
1967 Ludwig Super Classic Oyster Blue Pearl
Yamaha Birch Custom Absolute Burgundy Spkl. bop
etc...
Posted on 15 years ago

While on the topic of Slingy 3-ply shells, what's the difference between the 3-ply Artist model and the Hollywood Ace model? I've never been able to pinpoint that bit of info.

...oh, and sorry about the brief thread hijack!

1970 Ludwig Downbeat
1965 Ludwig Hollywood
1970 Ludwig Jazzette
Posted on 15 years ago

caddywumpus!...

The main difference between the two, the "Artist" and the "Hollywood Ace"... is the strainer/butt! The 3 ply shell w/rings are identical between the two as are the 8 lugs, but the "Hollywood Ace" model has the "Rapid" strainer with stamped butt, while the "Artist" features the "Zoomatic" and extended butt w/snare bar... otherwise, the drums are essentially identical. The price difference between the two back in the day: $14.00 more for the "Artist".

Tommyp

Posted on 15 years ago

Hey,

The snare in question was put to rest within the past six years. I believe it was ID'd as 3 ply Maple/Poplar/Mahogany with solid maple rings. It was purchased used, yes, but the edges had been touched up prior to purchase. The edges were the only thing that had been changed from factory. He has since painted it, but it is the same snare as when purchased. Hope this helps.

Posted on 15 years ago

From Tommyp

The main difference between the two, the "Artist" and the "Hollywood Ace"... is the strainer/butt!

Thanks! The Artist/Hollywood Ace that I have came re-drilled with a Ludwig P-83 strainer, so I guess I'm back to square one about knowing what it is!

It still has the original butt, so I guess I'll do some research. Thanks Tommyp!

1970 Ludwig Downbeat
1965 Ludwig Hollywood
1970 Ludwig Jazzette
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here