Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 114.83090%

Ludwig NOB 2-piece

I was recently able to get my first Ludwig 2-piece brass shell snare. It's actually my first brass shell snare. I've got to say, it's hard to find a bad tuning on this one. It's got a few dings on the shell, but the sound is something else. I tried it with a triple flange NOB hoop on the batter, but I preferred the original single-flange hoop. So far I'm liking it tuned to a medium tension to get a nice punch and some honk with rimshots. Cranked up a bit though, it can really rip. I know high tension can be an issue on these - so I hardly play this one cranked - but it's nice to know it can go there.

Posted on 1 year ago

Be careful with the tension if you are using plastic heads. Those claw hooks are made from brass that were made with calfskin in mind. They will eventually bend or crack under duress from unforgiving plastic.

Nice drum!!!

1974-75 Rogers Starlighter IV New England White 13/16/22 (w/Dyna)
1964-67 Rogers Blue Glass Glitter 12/14/16/20
early Oaklawn Camco Blue Moire 12/14/20
1926 Super Ludwig 5x14
1960-ish Ludwig COB 5x14 Super Sensitive
1960-ish Ludwig COB 6.5x14 Super Sensitive
1970 Ludwig COB Cut-Badge 5x14 Supra Phonic

Looking for a Camco Aristocrat SD in Blue Moire!!
Posted on 1 year ago

Worldmax makes very nice repros of the hoop clips. Get some of those and store the originals away.

https://www.drumfactorydirect.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2451

Posted on 1 year ago

From thin shell

Worldmax makes very nice repros of the hoop clips. Get some of those and store the originals away.https://www.drumfactorydirect.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2451

Thanks! Do you think the original tension rods will fit through these? I see this: Vintage 1920s Ludwig Black Beauty tension rods will not fit all of the way through this clip. I know this isn't technically a 1920's Black Beauty - but it sort of also is. I'd just hate to have to send all the clips back if the rods don't fit...

Posted on 1 year ago

I don't know the answer to that question, however, tension rods are inexpensive, so I would probably get the same length tension rods and use them.

Posted on 1 year ago

Yup, I'll get new clips and tension rods along with them. Thanks for the heads up!

Posted on 1 year ago

For my 20's Ludwig NoB, yes the DFD clips are a little snug for the original rods. But running a dremel or drill through the clip to open it up slightly is an easy solution. Just make certain you are gripping the clip in a vise so it doesn't fly off.

John/Levelpebble

Tama Superstar 81 Aqua bop
Rogers Cleveland BDP (x2), Silver bop, Champagne, Black/Gold Duco, WMP, Blue sparkle; Dayton Red Onyx;
Camco Oaklawn 12 14 20 5x14 Tuxedo WMP
LW 59 SC Blue Sparkle, WMP
WFL Gold Sparkle SC, WMP Compacto
Gretsch 49/50 Broadkaster WMP
Fibes Copper Forte
Remo MasterEdge Bop, Gold Crown, Mondo
Slingerland Conway Black Satin
70's MIJ Del Ray, my first and fav ok I'm lying here
Way Too Many Snares, She Says
Posted on 1 year ago

Last night I put my 8-hole Acrolite COB hoop on the batter side of the NOB snare. I love the single flange look, but it was tearing up my sticks - and I'm slightly afraid of tightening it up and leaving it tight and what that will do to the clips/claws. Once I get the replacement clips I'll probably go back to the original hoop. I will say adding the COB hoop and giving it a few more quarter turns - it really came to life. I like how these shells respond to medium tuning or even medium-low - and usually I can't stand the lower tunings on snares. But cranking it up some - not a ton - it just pops now and has some killer rimshots. I do have an 8-hole NOB hoop on a '48 WFL Super Classic snare that would have matched better, but I just got that snare sounding better with a new head - so the COB will have to do for now.

2 attachments
Posted on 1 year ago
Action Another action Something else here