Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 114.83090%

Helicoil question

I was able to repair my stripped Slingerland bass drum spur bracket and floor tom leg bracket. Since I’m wanting to gig with these, should I go ahead and install helicoils in all of the brackets even if they aren’t stripped (yet)?

Posted on 2 months ago

Hi pristono!

In regards to installing helicois on all your brackets, my advice would be to take a good look at all the threads and see if there are issues. I've got four vintage Slingerland kits and have a helicoil repair on only one bracket! Unless I see physical damage that won't allow the wing screw to properly tighten, I leave them alone until such time as a repair is warranted. That's just me. YMMV!!

-Mark

Posted on 2 months ago

I agree. Also, the most important thing you can do is make sure that the threads are all clean and turn freely. Also important, it to put a small amount of grease on the threads and run them in and out a few times. The combination of the two should prevent galling which leads to the diecast threads stripping.

Posted on 2 months ago

+1 with the above posts.  These two members know their business.

Posted on 1 month ago
Action Another action Something else here