Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 114.83090%

66/67 Slingerland 50N Blue Agate

it's been a minute since i've posted here i guess :P howdy!!!

i picked up a stupid clean kit this week and thought yall might like to see it- supposedly one owner,wrap and chrome is pristine and it's just plain awesome.i'm a sucker for the blue agate and just couldn't help myself....

seller says they are 66-67 50n configuration. 12,13,16,20 with brass/black badges,milky interiors and sequential serials.tuned them up today (am still waiting on the requisite coated batters to show up in the mail) and they all tuned up like champs with the exception of the kick -i'm still working on it.Other than that they sound amazing and could pass for last years model. how someone could keep these that clean for so long is just mind boggling.

Posted on 5 years ago

Nice looking kit!! One of my favorite wraps...

Congrats!!

Cheers

1976 Ludwig Mach 4 Thermogloss 26-18-14-14sn
1978 Ludwig Stainless 22-22-18-16-14-13-12 c/w 6-8-10-12-13-14-15-16-18-20-22-24 concert toms
1975 Sonor Phonic Centennials Metallic Pewter 22-16-13-12-14sn (D506)
1971 Ludwig Classic Bowling Ball OBP 22-16-14-13
1960's Stewart Peacock Pearl 20-16-12-14sn
1980`s Ludwig Coliseum Piano Black 8x14 snare
1973 Rogers Superten 5x14 & 6.5x14 COS snares
1970`s John Grey Capri Aquamarine Sparkle 5x14 snare
1941 Ludwig & Ludwig Super 8x14 snare
Posted on 5 years ago

Nice kit. Features of those drums suggest '68-'70 time frame. Could you share some serials?

Posted on 5 years ago

Great looking Slingerland kit! Blue Agate has always been a favorite of mine! Based on the bass drum T rods, which are the newer style rather than the "torpedo" style, I'd say the kit is a 1970. As slingerfan suggested, sharing the serial numbers will help to determine the year.

You did mention that the seller says it is the 50N configuration. Depending on hardware, it could have also been the 2R. Only difference was the hardware package. The "Modern Solo 2R" came with flush-base stands, while the "New Rock 50N" had "heavy duty" stands. Attached are pictures of my 1970-71 kit showing the difference.

-Mark

2 attachments
Posted on 5 years ago

From slingerfan

Nice kit. Features of those drums suggest '68-'70 time frame. Could you share some serials?

sure thing!!

226684 -226687

the other odd thing i noticed is the tom mount has "pat apldfor" stamped into the top next to the ball and the only things stamped in the shells looks to be a "p-" if any of that is any help!

Posted on 5 years ago

From idrum4fun

Great looking Slingerland kit! Blue Agate has always been a favorite of mine! Based on the bass drum T rods, which are the newer style rather than the "torpedo" style, I'd say the kit is a 1970. As slingerfan suggested, sharing the serial numbers will help to determine the year. You did mention that the seller says it is the 50N configuration. Depending on hardware, it could have also been the 2R. Only difference was the hardware package. The "Modern Solo 2R" came with flush-base stands, while the "New Rock 50N" had "heavy duty" stands. Attached are pictures of my 1970-71 kit showing the difference.-Mark

blue agate has always been one of my favorites as well along with a lot of the sparkle finishes.

aaaaah,that's interesting about the t rods. is there a rough cutoff date for the torpedoes?

that's a beautiful kit you have there - one of these days i'll have time to sit down and go through the old brochures and hopefully absorb some of these details :)

Posted on 5 years ago

sure thing!!226684 -226687the other odd thing i noticed is the tom mount has "pat apldfor" stamped into the top next to the ball and the only things stamped in the shells looks to be a "p-" if any of that is any help!

Those serials would typically be expected to be '69 but early '70 is entirely possible. Are any of the set-o-matic (tom mount) parts aluminum? Are the hoops COB or COS? The "P" stamp (pearl) simply means the shell was destined to be wrapped. Transition of BD T-rods occured in early 70 according to Dr. CJ Wenk.

Posted on 5 years ago

From slingerfan

Those serials would typically be expected to be '69 but early '70 is entirely possible. Are any of the set-o-matic (tom mount) parts aluminum? Are the hoops COB or COS? The "P" stamp (pearl) simply means the shell was destined to be wrapped. Transition of BD T-rods occured in early 70 according to Dr. CJ Wenk.

they look aluminum to me - i've attached pictures of the setomatic head. the receivers on the drums themselves are made of the same material (a magnet does not stick to either them or the hoops).

Posted on 5 years ago

Based on all the aluminum mounts, I'd say your kit is a 1968, possibly early 1969. The aluminum Setomatic wasn't around very long. However, it's odd that it would have the newer style bass drum T rods. There's always the possibility that the torpedo rods where changed out for the newer style. Still, with Slingerland, anything is possible!

-Mark

Posted on 5 years ago

From idrum4fun

Based on all the aluminum mounts, I'd say your kit is a 1968, possibly early 1969. The aluminum Setomatic wasn't around very long. However, it's odd that it would have the newer style bass drum T rods. There's always the possibility that the torpedo rods where changed out for the newer style. Still, with Slingerland, anything is possible!-Mark

aaaah okay. that's kind of what i was figuring on the date - i found the chart last night with badges/serial number range vs date range and kind of figured they were probably late 68 early 69.

the t rods very well could have been changed - when i unpacked it all i initially thought a lot of the hardware was repro stuff due to it being so clean. then on closer inspection found little things here and there - there's a small piece of chrome missing off one of the floor tom legs and the bottom floor tom hoop, the kick hoops have obviously been touched up in a couple of spots and i think the handle on one of the t rods is slightly bent.little things like that but,overall, they have obviously been really well cared for and they sound absolutely warm and gorgeous with fresh heads.

what did surprise me was how rough cut the rerings and edges were. all my other slingerlands have been 24 inch kick,mostly mid to late 70's 5 ply drums and these look relatively primitive internally in comparison.almost like the rerings were cut with a knife or something :)

either way, it's been a few years since i've had a nice slingerland kit and i'm stoked to be back in the old drum nerd fold. thank you guys for the help!!

Posted on 5 years ago
Action Another action Something else here