Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 114.83090%

1970/71 Ludwig Citrus Mod Rock Duo

This is my "new" Ludwig 1970/1 Rock Duo in glorious Citrus Mod! 12-13-16-20-20 5X14? The cool thing about the set is that it has 2 virgin 20" bass drums.

Posted on 2 years ago

Beautiful set of drums!! Enjoy them!!

Cheers

1976 Ludwig Mach 4 Thermogloss 26-18-14-14sn
1978 Ludwig Stainless 22-22-18-16-14-13-12 c/w 6-8-10-12-13-14-15-16-18-20-22-24 concert toms
1975 Sonor Phonic Centennials Metallic Pewter 22-16-13-12-14sn (D506)
1971 Ludwig Classic Bowling Ball OBP 22-16-14-13
1960's Stewart Peacock Pearl 20-16-12-14sn
1980`s Ludwig Coliseum Piano Black 8x14 snare
1973 Rogers Superten 5x14 & 6.5x14 COS snares
1970`s John Grey Capri Aquamarine Sparkle 5x14 snare
1941 Ludwig & Ludwig Super 8x14 snare
Posted on 2 years ago

Thanks Grantro!

Posted on 2 years ago

Very nice. Curious as to model of the snare . Is it wood? Enjoy

Posted on 2 years ago

Yes it is a wood snare - 8 lugs - jazz fest. There have been questions raised regarding the fact that the strainer & the butt are in reverse positions on the drum but that is how it was made - there are no extra holes in the shell.

I have created a shared photo album that I’m going to put out there with pictures of the snare drum to be scrutinized until I get it checked out in person- but as far as I can tell it appears to be an authentic original snare drum from the factory.

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0mGrq0zwGq2gsI

Posted on 2 years ago

MJ!

The "Rock Duo" is one of those iconic catalog sets! To have it in a rare finish, and a matching Jazz Festival, can't be beat! I followed this over at DFO, where we did discuss about the misplaced muffler and badge/grommet. It never occurred to me that it was really the strainer and butt that are in reverse position! A real one-of-a-kind Jazz Festival!

-Mark

Posted on 2 years ago

From idrum4fun

MJ!The "Rock Duo" is one of those iconic catalog sets! To have it in a rare finish, and a matching Jazz Festival, can't be beat! I followed this over at DFO, where we did discuss about the misplaced muffler and badge/grommet. It never occurred to me that it was really the strainer and butt that are in reverse position! A real one-of-a-kind Jazz Festival!-Mark

Thanks Mark! I am really enjoying this drum set!

I did send pics to Jack Lawton after Bun E had told me that Jack had done some repro Jazz fests from a 38” citrus mod marching bass drum he had gotten and this is what he said in reply to me….

On Sun, Mar 13, 2022 at 2:59 PM Lawton Drum wrote:

Hey Mike,

It's good to hear from you! That certainly is a nice looking outfit in a relatively rare wrap. The snare drum looks legit...even though the throw-off and butt are reversed. It is quite possible that it could have been a custom ordered snare drum for someone who wanted the throw-off and tone control next to each other.

As for the Citrus Mod bass drum that I stripped down, it was actually an 18" x 40" concert bass drum that had factory installed Black Panther over Citrus Mod. It was a huge nightmare removing the Black Panther and it's glue residue from the Citrus Mod, but well worth the time and aggravation.

Unfortunately, a 40" bass drum had to be wrapped in 3 pieces of the Citrus Mod, and all 3 pieces were just a couple of inches short of being able to wrap around a 14" shell. So, all of the Jazz Festivals that I rewrapped had to be done in 2 pieces, and I believe we could only actually do 6 snare

drums total. I don't believe that your snare drum would have been from that wrap, especially if there is only one seam. From the pictures, your snare drum looks to be "factory".

Hope all is well with you and yours!

All the best,

Jack

Posted on 2 years ago

Hi Jack!

Excellent information from JL! I have some pictures of a Citrus Mod Jazz Festival that was on eBay some years ago. It does have two seams, so it's obvious it was wrapped by Mr. Lawton! If I can track it down, I'll post it.

-Mark

Posted on 2 years ago
Action Another action Something else here