Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 121.84551%

1967/68 Fibes COF Buddy Rich

Did a SPECIAL Mother's Day Sinatra Show at the Infinity Music Hall/Norfolk on Sunday, and brought the 1967/68 Fibes COF Buddy Rich's for their debut performance. I was able to grab some pics after sound check and thought you guys might like to have a view! I will say that the drums absolutely KILLED ... and those comments did not come from me. Both the monitor/stage sound tech and the guy mixing the house were blown away with these. As it was described to me, ... " ... incredibly dynamic yet powerful drums! ..." I would have to agree. These are 1st generation pre CFMartin, and completely hand built. I want to add that my only comment is that they are incredibly heavy! Not a lot of fun to move!, but completely worth it in the playing/sound/aesthetics department! Here are the sizes:

14X24

9X13

14X16

16X16

5X14 10 lug prototype with prototype throw/butt

I post a lot on the drum pages on FB, but thought you might want to see 'em here too! Hopefully you will ENJOY!

Tommyp

1 attachments
Posted on 8 years ago

Ok the big guns are out now !!! nice is an understatement !!! Cool1Clapping Happy2

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 8 years ago

Looks like a superstar on stage there. And I don't mean the Tama kind.

The greatest gift you can give your family and the world is a healthy you. - Joyce Meyer
Posted on 8 years ago

way kool!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted on 8 years ago

TP!

Just a beautiful Fibes BR kit! Bowing

The lighting and background look great! Must have been a fantastic show. Thanks for sharing!

-Mark

Posted on 8 years ago

Wow, Tommy. You brought out the "heavy metal" for the old Infinity in Norfolk? I'm surprised those would even need to be mike'd there. You must have blown the roof off! All that work polishing those shells really paid off, because they look absolutely radiant under those stage lights.. Beautiful portrait shot of your "new" Fibes. Looks like a catalog shot.

Thanks for sharing.

Mike

-No Guru... still learning more every day-
Posted on 8 years ago

From mchair303

Wow, Tommy. You brought out the "heavy metal" for the old Infinity in Norfolk? I'm surprised those would even need to be mike'd there. You must have blown the roof off! All that work polishing those shells really paid off, because they look absolutely radiant under those stage lights.. Beautiful portrait shot of your "new" Fibes. Looks like a catalog shot.Thanks for sharing.Mike

First ... THANKS for all the nice commets! : VM2000 ... larryz ... snaremania ... and idrum4fun! And now, let me address the miking comment Mike! :

Take note that the drums are miked in a "jazz style" miking ... NOT close miked! Big difference of course! Plus, just because they're fiberglass shells doesn't immediately mean that they are overbearing or loud! That's kind of a misconception actually. Plus, it all comes down to how they are headed/tuned , and more importantly... HOW they are played! With that all said, you wouldn't want a 6 piece band with a vocalist all miked, and the drums hung out totally acoustic as it wouldn't sound balanced .. plus .. and you've seen the Sinatra Show Mike! ... I play a few tunes/arrangements on brushes. No way that's getting out over the band without a little sound reinforcement. So! ... when you have a group that plays completely blended and with the use of DYNAMICS, you want everything miked for the room so it can be mixed like a CD! That all mentioned ...

... guys came up to the stage after the show to tell me that the Fibes sounded incredible in the room. One was a drummer!, and he said ..." incredibly dynamic yet powerful drums ..." , which just blew me away! What I have noticed about these is NOT their volume per se, but how FOCUSED they are! I think you'd have to hear them in context Mike ... or better yet, stop over and play 'em! I attached a pic from the side showing no close miking ... overheads are to capture the entire set and make it blend with the rest of the band. ENJOY!

Tommyp

1 attachments
Posted on 8 years ago

Great looking kit... thanks for adding that 2nd pic on the follow-up post!

Posted on 8 years ago

From Hoppy

Great looking kit... thanks for adding that 2nd pic on the follow-up post!

Hoppy!

Glad you enjoyed! Here's another view for ya! THANKS for the nice comment!

Tommyp

1 attachments
Posted on 8 years ago

Tommy,

Thanks for replying (and conversing) about the nature of these Fibes shells. Like a lot of drummers unfamiliar with fiberglass shells, I had always assumed (incorrectly) that the hardness and non-absorption properties of fiberglass resulted in a lot of internal "amplification" like metal shells (ringy and cold), but from what you describe, they are neither "metal-like" nor "wood-like" but rather, they are their own distinct thing. And I understand the whole overhead miking situation now. Playing in a 30-piece military band, I rarely play mike'd, because as you explained, either everyone's mike'd or everyone's acoustic. You can't have some instruments coming through the speakers and some not.

And yes, I'd love a chance to sit behind those beauties. When it's a convenient time for you, and you have them set up at home again, I'll have to sneak away from work and check them out.

Mike

-No Guru... still learning more every day-
Posted on 8 years ago
Action Another action Something else here