Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 114.83090%

1966 Slingerland 16 x 18 (depth x width) BDP floor tom

Hi,

I’m new to this forum. I hope I’m posting in the right place and in the right way.

I just acquired a pristine, single owner four piece Slingerland kit, including all of the standard hardware and Zildjan cymbals. The bass drum (16 x 22; depth x width) and rack tom (9 x13; depth x width) are date stamped Aug 64 with a letter P, and appear to be clear coated inside. It also has a Sound King chrome snare. What’s unusual about this kit is that the floor tom was added two years later. It is a 1966 and is 16 x 18; depth x width. Unlike the bass and rack, it is painted light brown inside and only has a P stamp (no date stamp). I know and have vetted the provenance on the kit, so I’m confident it is a 1966, or earlier, drum.

While I have some older Radio King snares, I am new to later model Slingerland kits. The two questions I have are: 1) was the 16 x 18 floor tom common? I’ve not seen it in any of the catalogue pages on the VDG website, so I assume it was a specialty item, and 2) did Slingerland start painting the inside of their drums by 1966, or is this something that was done by the previous owner?

Any insight will be greatly appreciated.

Posted on 10 years ago

The tan interior paint is factory it was used from 1966-1970, yes a 16x18" floor toms are fairly common, the P stands for a pearl wrapped shell, and a lot of Slingerland drums aren't stamp dated inside.

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 10 years ago

Thanks for the info

Posted on 10 years ago

Bass is likely 14x22. No 16x22s back then.

Posted on 7 years ago

Hi Rich, you are correct. Thank you for correcting me and setting the record straight. All the best, Don.

Posted on 7 years ago
Action Another action Something else here