Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 114.83090%

1966 Leedy Shelly Manne Outfit #11 in Grey Agate Pearl

Latest addition to the collection: A pristine 1966 Leedy Shelly Manne Outfit #11 in the not often seen Grey Agate Pearl. A matched set all dated Oct 66. 20/13/16 & matching 5.5x14 Broadway snare. I'm the 3rd owner and I'm a huge fan of the Leedy lugs & hardware even though at this point in time the drums were manufactured by Slingerland. Its still an amazing sounding time capsule to the past. 🇺🇸🎶

First gig comin up..

Posted on 6 years ago

more pics of the wrap & interiors

Posted on 6 years ago

That's a beautiful Shelly Manne set. I love that wrap. SlingerLeedy drums are my favorites. I always favored Slingerland drums throughout nearly thirty years of gigging. When I became aware of the Leedy drums made by Slingerland, they became my number one choice because of the most beautiful lugs I have ever seen. And, I say that even though I owned Camco drums back in the early 60's. My 1963 Black Diamond Pearl Shelly Manne set is configured exactly the same as yours except the snare is listed as a Shelly Manne snare. I also have a Pink Glass Glitter Shelly Manne snare that is estimated to be from 1958 or 1959 because of the badge and that wrap being limited to those years.

No matter how far you push the envelope, it is still stationery.
Posted on 6 years ago

Mark -

What a beautiful kit to add to your collection, and in fantastic shape! I bet it will really sound killer on your first gig with it. The Agate Perl's are my favorite wraps of all. I have a May 66 snare in Blue Agate Pearl. Sorry for the old pictures, I changed the hoops for original ones and cleaned it up but haven't had a chance to retake any pictures.

Enjoy !

Michael

No Guru - I just love collecting & learning about vintage drums!

Some of my favorites from the kits in the collection
58 WFL New Yorker Blue Sparkle
67 Ludwig Hollywood Red Psychedelic
69 Ludwig Standard Red Ruby Strata
70's Ludwig BOP "Ringo" Kit

A few of my favorite snares
20's Leedy Black Elite
51 Leedy & Ludwig Knob Tension
58 WFL Buddy Rich Classic Blue Sparkle
63 Walberg & Auge Sea Blue Agave Green Pearl
66 Leedy Shelly Manne Blue Agate Pearl
Posted on 6 years ago

Mark!

Didn't realize you had this separate thread! Your kit looks great! I always loved the Slinger-Leedy drums, especially the Slingerland-designed snare lug.

I only have 1 Leedy drum in my collection... a 1965 Frank Capp snare drum, wrapped in original Green Satin Flame, AKA, Aquamarine.

-Mark

4 attachments
Posted on 6 years ago

Thanks guys!

I don't know what it is about these lugs I love so much. They are addicting!

This is my 4th Leedy kit. I looked at the catalog scans & they show the snares to be the Broadway models however, I am wondering if the Shelly Manne snare is the same drum?

You all have some real beauties there!

Posted on 6 years ago

One of my former SlingerLeedy sets. Purchased from the nephew of the original owner. It had sat in the uncle's garage un-played for years...

1 attachments
Never play it the same way once.
Posted on 6 years ago

Shelly favored the unwrapped natural or stained wood shells for most of his endorsement years with Leedy. He was quoted as saying he preferred the tone of unwrapped shells. He probably went along with Leedy honchos to feature him pictured with wrapped drums in promotional pictures. That made for better pictures. He also experimented with different sizes of drums in four piece outfits.

No matter how far you push the envelope, it is still stationery.
Posted on 6 years ago

Singer-Leedys are beautiful drums; a nice collaboration between 2 historic drum companies. The lugs may be the best-looking ever made. Really like the steep Slingerland-style spurs; look rock-solid. You should be very happy............marko

Posted on 6 years ago

By far Shelly's best promo pic IMO :)

Posted on 6 years ago
Action Another action Something else here