Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 114.83090%

1965/66 Ludwig Club Dates in BDP

Long time no post! After a long dry spell (during which I gave the drums a break and started learning guitar and mandolin--lots of fun to be had there), I finally put the band back together and took my '65/'66 Clubbies out to a gig last weekend. When I bought them five years ago, they were in terrible shape: missing parts, peeling lacquer finish, and full of potting soil! I spent the next few years restoring them and refinishing them in BDP. I just need to find the time to add the bass drum inlays and they'll be all done. They sounded great at the gig, even unmiked. A joy to play.

The 14x20 bass and 8x12 tom are stamped with a 1965 production date. The bass has a stamp inside reading "Faust Music, Milwaukee, Wisconsin." Anyone know the store?

The floor tom is a 1966 12x15 marching snare that I converted to a floor by replacing the rims and heads, refinishing to match the kit, and drilling for legs. I had originally hung it from an ISS mount, but added the legs for looks and convenience. I used Gibraltar floating floor tom feet and was pleased to find no loss of resonance over the ISS mount. I'd been worried that the snare beds would cause tuning problems but they haven't been an issue. The drum sounds great tuned low the way I like it.

The snare is a six-ply maple 6x12 that Donoho Drums custom-built for me back in 2004. I have an Acro to go with the kit, but for the funk-and-prog-influenced rock that our band plays, I find that the 6x12 has just the right mix of fatness and brightness.

I'm thrilled with the way the kit turned out. And let me tell you: having spent years lugging heavy Gretsch and Vistalite kits to shows, it's a real treat to carry these tiny, super-light, single-lug drums. Now I know why they call them Club Dates!

1 attachments
Kits:
1950s Gretsch Name Band in Midnight Blue Pearl (13/16/22/14sn)
1965/66 Ludwig Club Dates rewrapped in Black Diamond Pearl (12/15/20)
Posted on 9 years ago

I had a kit with this exact same wrap I sold on ebay it was a good looking kit. I like yours also !

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 9 years ago

Very cool kit and great save! I like the combination of the deep 12" snare with the drum sizes of a Club Date kit, it's a good match-up. And yes, the last time I worked with a band was three years ago, but I had stripped down my gigging set-up to a Club Date kit with a 12"x15" floor tom. Once I mic'ed it up, it held it's own in a Blues Band with horns, keyboards, etc. Quick and easy load-in, load-out and it played great. Club Dates are just a smart choice for any bar/club/hotel type gigs.

Welcome back...

John

PS - Hey man, SMILE! You'e playing drums!!! :D

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 9 years ago

They look great.

Were they a duco finish originally?

BLAEMIRE DRUMS
Thanks to Mr. Jerry Jenkins
Posted on 9 years ago

Thanks! The bass and 12" tom were originally a solid red lacquer. No duco. The floor tom was a blue sparkle that had some serious fade by the time I got it, so I didn't feel too badly about rewrapping them.

Kits:
Posted on 9 years ago

From Purdie Shuffle

PS - Hey man, SMILE! You'e playing drums!!! :D

Hee! Funny thing about that photo: I was grinning ear to ear throughout the whole gig, and then they snapped this one pic... :D

Kits:
Posted on 9 years ago

Beautiful kit!! Yea, I know about the wrong timing with photos,HAHA!!

Posted on 9 years ago

Nice kit, I'm sure it sounds great!

Faust Music was a Milwaukee eccentricity, I stumbled on it while lost trying to find my way to the highway! Mr. Faust was known to be a crummudgeon and you had to make an appointment to get in, I had heard of the place and knocked on the door, I think he only let me in because of being sweet on my wife!! He had some really great gear in there and I grew to really dig this guy. He sadly passed last year. If you google it there are some great stories about that place!

Posted on 9 years ago
Action Another action Something else here