Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 114.83090%

1969 Jazzette

OOOOooooohh! SILVER sparkle! I can't wait to see that one, man!

Wow! So, that means:

mlvibes has the blue sparkle Jazzette

b.d. bop's got the black cortex B/O badge kit

I've got the two red sparkles

wflkurt has a silver sparkle

I know there is a Japanese website with a picture of a champagne sparkle Jazzette......but, on second inspection, I find this "Jazzette to be a bit peculiar -suspect, if you will. Take a look:

http://www.geocities.co.jp/Technopolis-Mars/2182/museum/vintage/ludwig.htm#top

*I have heard tell (a looong time ago at another forum) there was someone who owned a green sparkle B/O badge Jazzette -but I never saw it...it was just a legend!

*Another "legendary" one that I heard about was a walnut grain cortex B/O Jazzette -never saw it, though.

I would love to see a gold sparkle Jazzette or an old-style oyster blue pearl (not the bowling ball variety...although, that would be cool, too!)

Now...let's talk about HOW the Jazzette kit came about. I was told that Roy Haynes wanted Ludwig to build him a special smaller-sized bass drum than what was standard with other contemporary company's "bebop" kits (14 X 18). So, Ludwig obliged him by shortening the depth of the bass drum by another 2 inches. This, supposedly was touted as being easier to throw into the back of a NYC cab back in the days when drummers would "club hop" with their kits.

That story might be just a myth, but I'll go with it for now because I know Roy was an endorser for many years and he just seems like the kind of guy who would want something to be a little more unique!

I know there must be several more Jazzettes out there. I would love to see the production numbers that show just exactly how many Jazzette kits were made and with what finishes.

So, should we Jazzette owners come up with a secret handshake or something now? ;) HA!

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 17 years ago

So many jazzettes, so little time! I think that champagne "jazzette" kit is actually a Gold Coast cocktail outfit with toms added. I've been trying to do the same thing with my Burgundy Sparkle drums, but have almost given up on finding a 14x14. I've heard Burgundy Sparkle is going to be reissued by Delmar pretty soon, so we'll have to see if it matches.

I have seen a couple more on the internet...I seem to remember a Vistalite jazzette kit, but I couldn't tell if the bass drum was real or not. Also, I don't want to name anyone because I never know who gets along with who, but a member at cymbalholics has a gorgeous B/O blue sparkle jazzette kit. I'm sure you guys have seen.

Olugs - I had the same tension rod issue on my '68 Burgundy Sparkle 8x12. Very strange. Oddly, when I put a NOS Ludwig head on it that wasn't stretched, the "wrong" rods still worked, but a stretched head or new remo head made the rods bottom out.

http://www.classicvintagedrums.com
Posted on 17 years ago

Oh, yeah...I DO remember a red/white & blue Vistalite Jazzette. I don't go to Cymbalholics.com and I haven't seen the blue sparkle B/O kit, but it sounds like a nice one.

Yes, the champagne sparkle kit appears to have been a conversion. The wrap doesn't look "right" to me -it looks "new"...the hoops are wrong...the badge(?) is at the wrong end of the drum and I can't see any holes from where the railmount should have been -at least from those two pictures. My guess is that it's been heavily "worked".

RE: lug screws...Yeah, it was very strange. I actually never even noted that Ludwig made so many different lengths of lug screws. Since I always use Remo heads (or old Ludwig heads) the solution for me wasn't to change the heads... However, I do know that, in addition to the variable length of the threading/collars on the lug screws, Ludwig also made some shorter inserts -like the kind found on a Downbeat snare drum, for example. Luckily, as stated, I was able to switch out the longer collared lug screws for some shorter ones...but changing the inserts would have worked, too.

Posted on 17 years ago

Hey guys, I am honored and glad to be a part of the jazzette club. I will try and take good pics of my set and post them soon. Until then here is the link from drumforum.org with some pics of my set before and after I reheaded them. I also know a guy in the Boston area that has a jazzette in the walnut finish. His set seems like it has a crack in the wood on his bass drum, but it does not seem to affect much.

My friend Mark had the set I picked up and when I saw it I could'nt believe he had it. I am glad he sold it to me. It is a wonderful set of drums and I plan on doing all my jazz gigs with it. The silver sparkle is very nice as well. I remember seeing that C. Willoughby had a jazzette set that was vistalite red/clear/blue. I think I remember seeing a blue sparkle set once at the Boston drum show like 10 years ago. That's all I know of.

http://drumforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=21060

"wfl does not stand for world football league!"
Posted on 17 years ago

Wow! Those look gorgeous! Nice score! So, with the early 70's version of the pointy B/O badge they should have the 3-ply shells with re-rings and clear maple interiors then...correct?

Posted on 17 years ago

They do have the 3-ply shells, but the interior is the granitine paint. The serial numbers are all around 1192950. I think that is around the 1974 ballpark. I really dig the set though.

2 attachments
Posted on 17 years ago

I think it was Tommy Wells who said he once owned a green sparkle Jazzette and then sold it.

Yes, the Vistalite Jazzette was a red/white/clear (not white -as I had stated earlier) and Cherie would likely be the source of the pictures I saw. The walnut cortex one you describe may have been the other one I heard about, too.

I just find it interesting that, in all of drumforumdom, only a small handful of these kits have turned up...even fewer pictures...and not even that many "legendary" stories about someone who knows someone who KNEW someone who USED to have one! heh heh

Posted on 17 years ago

Quoted post

They do have the 3-ply shells, but the interior is the granitine paint. The serial numbers are all around 1192950. I think that is around the 1974 ballpark. I really dig the set though.

Interesting! Would you be so kind as to post pictures of the interiors when you get a chance?Burger Kin

Posted on 17 years ago

I will try to post them when I get a chance. I looked them over pretty good when I changed the heads. There are no paper tags or date stamps anywhere. I once had a standard shell that had the granite paint inside and a clear date stamp of 1976 in there. I have never seen a date stamp in a shell that late and the shell was still a 3-ply. Very odd.

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here