Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Drums

Old 07-04-2021, 09:50 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: Replacement gull-wing spurs for '68 Ludwig

check out ebay item # 392153271963

Says they are 10mm in diamter so they might not fit the Ludwig brackets which are designed for 3/8ths" (9.5mm) spurs but maybe worth a shot...
Old 07-07-2021, 12:15 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Drum Factory Direct sells 9.5 mm (3/8") gull wing replacements. Should be a perfect fit.

https://www.drumfactorydirect.com/in...ducts_id=14148

Looks like they are currently out of stock, but they usually restock inventory pretty quickly.

Drums On Sale also has them, and these are in stock. Both companies are great to deal with.

https://drumsonsale.com/ludwig-9-5mm...ing-spurs.html

Last edited by vyacheslav; 07-07-2021 at 12:18 PM.
Old 07-07-2021, 08:10 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyacheslav View Post
Drum Factory Direct sells 9.5 mm (3/8") gull wing replacements. Should be a perfect fit.

https://www.drumfactorydirect.com/in...ducts_id=14148

Looks like they are currently out of stock, but they usually restock inventory pretty quickly.

Drums On Sale also has them, and these are in stock. Both companies are great to deal with.

https://drumsonsale.com/ludwig-9-5mm...ing-spurs.html
The question is...."are those any longer than the originals?"
Old 07-23-2021, 08:32 AM
Contributing Member

Ok, I went ahead and ordered a pair of the Ahead 'Vintage Style' gull wing spurs (product ref: AHBDS) from Gear4Music which advertise them on their website as having a length of "10.5'' Length for Optimal Elevation Off the Ground". However, upon receiving them they appear far shorter than this at around 8" to 9". When I have checked on the Ahead website it is stated that their Vintage Style Bass drum Spurs (AHBDS) have a Length Range of 8.00" to 9.00" which seems to correlate with the product that I have just received. However, it isn't just Gear4Music that advertise these Vintage Style Bass Drum Spurs as having a length of 10.5", a few other companies also have this stated on their websites too. Are there 2 different length Vintage Bass Drum Spurs that this company produce, or is there an error in the specs that are being provided? Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210723_141319.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	134795   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-07-23 at 14.28.39.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	134796   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-07-23 at 14.29.00.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	134797  
Old 07-23-2021, 09:53 AM
Advanced Member

Just a guess from looking at the package and your ruler....it appears to me that the long arm is extendable from 8 to 9 inches. And if you add in the shorter angled arm that goes into the bracket on the bass drum, you have approximately 10.5 inches...approximately.

Hope they work for you.

Regards, MB
Old 07-23-2021, 01:04 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Yes and no....The rod, when straight before being bent to shape, is probably ten inches long. Call me a nit-picker. But, I think that this is probably the case.
Old 07-25-2021, 08:01 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Black View Post
Just a guess from looking at the package and your ruler....it appears to me that the long arm is extendable from 8 to 9 inches. And if you add in the shorter angled arm that goes into the bracket on the bass drum, you have approximately 10.5 inches...approximately.

Hope they work for you.

Regards, MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by leedybdp View Post
Yes and no....The rod, when straight before being bent to shape, is probably ten inches long. Call me a nit-picker. But, I think that this is probably the case.
I know exactly what you guys mean but you would think that the stated spec from the various suppliers would be consistent for the exact same product with the same product code, especially when it is clearly stated as having a length range of 8"- 9" on the manufacturers website . Anyhow, I have tried these spurs on my 24" Ludwig and they fail to raise it off of the floor at all. I'm kinda back to square one I guess so can anyone here recommend from personal experience, a set of gull wing spurs for a 24" Ludwig that will provide sufficient elevation off of the floor, or is the incorporation of the Pearl Iso feet the only option that I have available?
Old 07-25-2021, 09:58 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

It wouldn't be that difficult to create you own custom ones from 3/8ths " rod. Or have a local machine shop do it.

Have you checked out INDe spurs? They may be longer and you could replace your brackets with INDe BR2 (or BR2XL) if necessary. Or you could replace two lugs with the BR3 if you need the mounting points closer to the floor.

https://www.indedrum.com/drum-upgrades-accessories/spur
Old 07-27-2021, 08:13 AM
Contributing Member

It has been suggested to me that a pair of the vintage Hayman spurs will have the same diameter to fit into the Ludwig brackets but will be a couple of inches longer, providing sufficient elevation of the Ludwig bass drum from the floor. I have managed to source a pair of these vintage Hayman spurs and placed an order which should be with me by next week. Hopefully this should provide me with a simple solution.
Old 08-02-2021, 09:59 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

I hope these work out for you.

Another thing you can do to gain more length if you need it is this simple solution, although it would not be "Authentic" or "original", it still works, as I have done it before:

1. Find a coupling nut that's the same thread size as the threads where the rubber feet are at the end of the spur (assuming you are using the newer Ahead or replacement spur with the threaded rubber foot on the end).

2. Remove the threaded rubber foot and cut the end of the spur/pointy end so that everything below the thread is removed (keep the full length of the thread).

3. JB Weld the coupling nut on about halfway so that about half of the threads in the coupling nut are still "open" or "available".

4. Take several hex head screws of various lengths that are the same thread size as the coupling nut. Thread the screw in until it stops. Experiment with the different lengths until you find one that works for you. When you find it, JB weld that screw into the coupling nut.

5. Simply cut the head of the screw off, put a rubber tip on the end and you're good to go.

It might look a little odd, but it sure works and holds rock solid.

Last edited by vyacheslav; 08-02-2021 at 10:03 AM.