Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Drums

Old 09-13-2020, 10:44 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Slingerland Yellow Jacket question

Hey all,I am looking for some different bd pedals,currently I am using Tama Iron Cobra power drives,but I want some thing that has a lighter feel
that does not accelerate so quickly at the end of the stroke,looking for speed and response more than power.

I saw this at MG for 89.00 Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	132302

It needs a spring and tension attachment.The only direct drive pedal I have ever used is a speed King.Anyone here familiar with this pedal? Is it worth 89.00 as it sits?

Any recommendations on floating type pedals in the 50.00 to 100.00 range?
Old 09-13-2020, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

Default Re: Slingerland Yellow Jacket question

I've gigged a yellow jacket for 23 yrs before it broke. It took a while for parts but finally got it restored. I also have a DW and Iron Cobra but still love the slingy.

Dave
Old 09-13-2020, 11:23 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Hi eamesuser!

I've had a Yellow Jacket pedal some years ago. It builds on Slingerland's Tempo King pedal, but uses dual springs and a direct metal linkage to the rocker. There is also a nylon bushing at the rocker and footboard to eliminate noise. The biggest improvement was the use of the ball bearings that the "S" hooks connect to, which connect to the same cams that were used on the Tempo King pedal.

In all honesty, I didn't find the Yellow Jacket to be anything special. Like the Tempo King, the tolerance of many parts can be sloppy. What I do like are those "S" hooks around the ball bearing! I use them on many of my Tempo King pedals. Pictured is my uber-modified Tempo King that I purchased some years ago. It's light, fast and quiet!

-Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tempo King.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	132308   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yellowjacket Bearing.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	132309  
Old 09-13-2020, 11:51 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

The price is too high considering there are parts missing.
Old 09-13-2020, 12:39 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingerfan View Post
The price is too high considering there are parts missing.
Exactly!! Lots of good pedals can be found, in better condition and for less money. Just keep looking!

-Mark
Old 09-13-2020, 08:27 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

I agree with both Slingerfan and Mark. I've had two of the yellow jacket pedals did nothing for me. Just not that great of a pedal, Both of the ones I had were very nice examples, Just not my cup of tea.
Old 09-13-2020, 09:46 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagemore2000 View Post
I agree with both Slingerfan and Mark. I've had two of the yellow jacket pedals did nothing for me. Just not that great of a pedal, Both of the ones I had were very nice examples, Just not my cup of tea.
vm2k is correct, too! He's had nice examples and they just weren't that special. But, then again, I feel the same about the Ludwig Speed King. While many rave about it, I found it unacceptable for my playing. I did like to have them with all my vintage, and newer, Ludwig kits! It's nice to have choices, though!

-Mark
Old 09-14-2020, 08:48 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

I will always champion the Rogers Swivomatic pedal with the Slingerland Tempo King and Gretsch Floating Action as equally acceptable back-ups. The old Squeak King has always been a major turn off to me. This just goes to show that there are (literally) different strokes for different folks.
Old 09-14-2020, 11:27 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by leedybdp View Post
I will always champion the Rogers Swivomatic pedal with the Slingerland Tempo King and Gretsch Floating Action as equally acceptable back-ups. The old Squeak King has always been a major turn off to me. This just goes to show that there are (literally) different strokes for different folks.
You are correct, sir!

My 60's Swivomatic, with new bearings, is fantastic! I also have a selection of Tempo King pedals that are above average in build quality and performance. I've never owned the Gretsch Floating Action, but have always heard good things about it.

-Mark
Old 09-14-2020, 02:48 PM
Advanced Member

Interesting discussion! I've never tried the Rogers, Slingerland, or Gretsch pedals, but I'll look for them.

I'm one of the old **** Speed King disciples. I've tried the Tama Iron Cobra and a couple DWs, but was not impressed.

Modern pedals seem - to me - to be waaaay over-engineered. Too many adjustments, too many complications and moving parts. I have always believed in the K.I.S.S. principle. Simpler is better.

I've got 3 vintage Speed Kings, all of which were "de-squeeked" by Jesse (I forget his last name), and more recently Vince Leef (who took over Jesse's business). Vince's business is VitalizerDrums.com

Those pedals fly and I wouldn't want to play anything else! And they will certainly outlive me!

Different strokes for different folks!

Regards, MB