Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Cymbals

Old 11-23-2015, 02:46 PM
Advanced Member

Default The cymbal cleaning question...again

Up until yesterday I had never cleaned a cymbal in my life. In fact, I was always a vote for, "No! Don't do it! You'll change the sound!!"

I scored a super thin little 8 inch splash that had a stain I just couldn't live with. I kind of thought there's not real danger in losing "The mellow overtones blah, blah, blah" on an 8" splash so I jumped in with both feet.
Now...I kind of want to clean EVERYTHING!!
I feel like I've been looking at tarnished cymbals long enough...I might have to make 'em shiny!

So, VDF...what's this week's prevailing opinion on cleaning cymbals?
I'm really thinking of scrubbing the crap out of my whole set up (50's As)
I mean, yeah sure, I still think the sound changes...but really...I can't imagine it will sound bad...ya know?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Splash1.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	91946   Click image for larger version

Name:	Splash2.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	91947   Click image for larger version

Name:	Splash3.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	91948   Click image for larger version

Name:	Splash4.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	91949  

Last edited by Richie; 11-23-2015 at 04:50 PM.
Old 11-23-2015, 03:26 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: The cymbal cleaning question...again

Ritchie what did you use to clean them with.? My to go to cymbals are all vintage 2002's and 602's but I keep them clean.
Old 11-23-2015, 03:40 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

I use the Zildjian brand cleaner/polish on my Sabians, but I've also used Brasso before too. Polishing makes mine sound brighter, but I like them that way.

I've heard that some use ketchup. I guess the vinegar in ketchup is the key ingredient.
Old 11-23-2015, 03:54 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

I cleaned a 50s A zildjian ride, it sounded nice and mellow but I thought cleaning might make an improvement in projection and just a little bit more brightness, instead it just lost its nice mellow tone and the thing that realy spoiled it was it just sounded totaly washy. I suppose though with a splash cymbal you could want that though.
Old 11-23-2015, 04:28 PM
Advanced Member

vintagemore2000, I did that with Barkeeper's Friend.
Like I say, I've always been dead set against cleaning cymbals and this is the first one I've ever done. A friend swears by the stuff (and keeping them shiny in general) and it worked pretty well.

Olddrumgeek, losing the dark mellowness of my other cymbals is what I am afraid of. (Er...as dark as an A can be anyhow)
As much as I think I am getting sucked in by the look of shiny clean cymbals, the prospect of scrubbing something like a 24" ride isn't so appealing.
Old 11-23-2015, 05:29 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Tonkie View Post
I've heard that some use ketchup. I guess the vinegar in ketchup is the key ingredient.
I've done this the past two times I was trying to sell something. I feel that the ketchup method is good because it's A.) cheaper B.) easier (requires a rag and a bath tub or deep sink) C.) more eco-friendly D.) is a good middle of the road between the patina and original brilliance.

Ketchup won't make your pies look brand new, but does help brighten then up a bit, which to me is a good compromise.

Smear, soak, rinse, dry, done.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20131030_105125_460.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	91955   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20131030_131104_918.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	91956   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20131031_123635_942.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	91957  
Old 11-23-2015, 06:22 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

I've only ever used the Paiste Cymbal cleaner and never had issues. But for me I have always based it cymbal to cymbal. My newer cymbals with the shine get routinely cleaned. While my older Zildjians I tend not to clean. Heck I have a pair of New Beats that are roughly 10 years old. I've been letting them oxidize. I can't explain it, but A's have a way of aging well.

- Jay
Old 11-23-2015, 06:57 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie View Post
vintagemore2000, I did that with Barkeeper's Friend.
Like I say, I've always been dead set against cleaning cymbals and this is the first one I've ever done. A friend swears by the stuff (and keeping them shiny in general) and it worked pretty well.

Olddrumgeek, losing the dark mellowness of my other cymbals is what I am afraid of. (Er...as dark as an A can be anyhow)
As much as I think I am getting sucked in by the look of shiny clean cymbals, the prospect of scrubbing something like a 24" ride isn't so appealing.
Don't know if you are aware but they have a creme paste now that is super awesome for fine metal surfaces. Not just the powder any longer !?
Old 11-23-2015, 08:21 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

I use the Paiste cleaner on the newer cymbals. It's very good. Finish it with the clear coat too. I cleaned an old cymbal once to new condition and recorded it before and after. There was no discernible difference to me. I think a cymbal would have to be green to make a difference but everyone hears differently I suppose.
Old 11-23-2015, 08:31 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutstudio View Post
I use the Paiste cleaner on the newer cymbals. It's very good. Finish it with the clear coat too. I cleaned an old cymbal once to new condition and recorded it before and after. There was no discernible difference to me. I think a cymbal would have to be green to make a difference but everyone hears differently I suppose.
Paiste cymbal cleaner is the only cleaner I have ever used on my paiste cymbals !