Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Drums

Old 09-06-2021, 12:53 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: Odd Marketing at Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by leedybdp View Post
Does anyone here know anyone who has bought and received one of the new Rogers drum sets?
I don't. I can imagine some of the serious Rogers collectors would buy a kit to have a representation of its rebirth. But plenty of folks must be buying them or they would have folded by now. I'm thinking some of the hardware might be selling well too.
Old 09-06-2021, 04:44 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Even when the bands of color are perfectly installed at the factory, the edges of the individual bands tend to shrink which causes the gaps through which the shell is visible. The "Salesman's Sample" drums that were a limited Ludwig issue used a more modern concept. The black lines between the colors were applied between the top and bottom layers of the wrap. There are no individual bands of color--just one sheet with all of the colors. That way there will be no shrinkage of individual bands of color.
Old 09-07-2021, 09:49 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by leedybdp View Post
Even when the bands of color are perfectly installed at the factory, the edges of the individual bands tend to shrink which causes the gaps through which the shell is visible. The "Salesman's Sample" drums that were a limited Ludwig issue used a more modern concept. The black lines between the colors were applied between the top and bottom layers of the wrap. There are no individual bands of color--just one sheet with all of the colors. That way there will be no shrinkage of individual bands of color.
Very interesting.
Old 09-07-2021, 09:52 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Something that I left out of my previous post is that the sparkle flakes are all silver. The transparent colors and the opaque black lines separating the colors are printed on the inside of the top clear ply of the wrap.
Old 09-08-2021, 02:53 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Interesting again. I'd like to visit the factory where the wrap is made. It would probably be a interesting view into the technology.
Old 09-08-2021, 07:46 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Boucher View Post
Interesting again. I'd like to visit the factory where the wrap is made. It would probably be a interesting view into the technology.
Good idea for writing an article for Modern Drummer or Not-So-MD. Similar to previous articles throughout the years that MD has had on drum and cymbal companies. Anyone up to the challenge?
Old 09-08-2021, 08:47 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Boucher View Post
Those two colors look really nice together. I hadn't thought about factory jobs having a shrinkage problem, but it takes a skilled hand to seam it from day one.
Not I said the cat. If I could write I wouldn't be tied down to engineering.