Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Drums

Old 07-22-2021, 11:31 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: Some old non-descript Ludwigs

Those look like "Standard" lugs, yes?

Also, based on the little bit of the inside of the bass drum shell I can see, it looks like there is no "Granitone" interiors and might be maple?

These could be good drums if cleaned up and tuned properly. You could always cut down the depth of the rack toms.
Old 07-22-2021, 07:28 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

If they are the 4 ply shells, they'd sound good. I'd clean them up and try them. Play them as a 4 pc set, with the tom on a snare stand, so you can move it out a bit and get it lower.
I like toms lower, and have had to do that. This was a 24" bass. With that, and the wood hoops, had to make it comfortably playable.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2053.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	134791  
Old 07-23-2021, 07:40 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Cut down the smaller mounted tom to REAL classic tom depth and put floor tom legs on the larger mounted tom. If they were mine, the only snare stand would be the one holding the snare drum.
Old 07-29-2021, 01:46 AM

Oh, sure, they are good shells. But once you go through the trouble to cut down the toms, you might as well just completely resto-mod them. Get some nice wrap, polish all the chrome, replace the damaged bass hoops, upgrade the worn-out hardware... This set can be made into something really nice and I have done it in the past, when I was younger and had more time for such projects. I have learned that by the time you're done, you'll have spent too much time and more money than an inherently better set could have been had for. It's not that these are bad drums, it's just that they need too much to become desirable drums. There are so many better sets out there going begging that something like this is basically not worth the effort anymore.