Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Drums

Old 04-21-2021, 01:45 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Original Dynasonic Still Valuable

Even though the Dynasonic has been reproduced and offered at, perhaps, 30% of the peak value of the originals, the originals still seem to be holding a pretty good value. Notice this one that is missing the frame, the badge and the original wrap sold for just over $600.

I think this price was high because someone wants to match one to their set without having to wrestle with conscience over the idea of stripping one of its original wrap. Just a guess. Good deal for the seller!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dyna Sold.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	134198  
Old 04-21-2021, 07:00 AM

Default Re: Original Dynasonic Still Valuable

I, along with certainly quite a number of us, was watching that auction and prepared to bid. I think there were too many question marks for it to go any higher. Yes, I agree with you that it likely was a true late 60's Dyna that had been schmucked with along the way. But there are so many stories of fake wood Dyna's built to capitalize on the high-watermark pricing era of the mid 2000's, I'm guessing a lot of us had some doubts. It was tantalizing to think of rewrapping in your color of choice, for that kit that has no matching snare. Or even to just let it be, and work with any kit.

Not certain that the new re-issues in $600-$800 range have affected the values of vintage dynas. To me they are two different animals.

I was comfortable going to mid-$400's, but not above 6 bills. Didn't really need it anyway. But when is that really a concern?

Tama Superstar 81 SAM bop, 81 Mahogany
Rogers Cleveland BDP, Silver bop, Champagne, Black/Gold Duco, WMP; Dayton Blue Strata, Red Onyx
Camco Oaklawn 12 14 20 5x14 Tuxedo WMP
LW 59 SC, 65 Clubdate, Jazzette
WFL Gold Sparkle SC, Compacto WMP
Gretsch 49/50 Broadkaster WMP
70's MIJ Del Ray, my first and fav
Way Too Many Snares, She Says
Old 04-22-2021, 01:34 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: Original Dynasonic Still Valuable

My threshold was $200 knowing it could cost $200 more for a Dyna badge.