Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 114.83090%

entertaining the idea of installing an internal tone control (a la Gretsch Pratt) on my 20 and 22 inch Rogers BDs (Tower and Holiday respective). These are players that came to me with extra holes (that I have since repaired) so the "violation" is minor and in service of, well, greater control.

I currently have (2) 2" felt strips stretched internally across the batter heads of both. This is ok(ish) but for the fact that the effect is fixed and the silhouette kinda bugs me.

My questions are to the Rogers folks out there (but not necessarily limited to):

- thoughts on whether a standard Rogers internal tone control would suffice and if so, front and back or just batter?

- just use the single, larger Pratt furnished to Gretsch kicks?

Very much appreciate the feedback. Warm regards,

Posted on 1 year ago

Pete!

While I like the Gretsch Pratt muffler, I tend to keep muffling on my vintage bass drums period correct. Here's a picture of my 1966 Rogers Headliner with period-correct bass drum heads on the batter and reso-side. I use muffling strips front and rear, in the same location they came from the factory, and the sound is great!

-Mark

1 attachments
Posted on 1 year ago

In my experience a standard Rogers tone control used in toms and snares would prove to be inefficient in providing enough muffling on your bass drums. I've owned vintage Premier 50's and early 60's bass drums with front and back shell mount tone controls which are larger and have larger felt pads used with calf heads front and back and found those inefficient as well, at least for contemporary music. Slingerland years ago also mounted a large "two way" bass drum internal muffler mount employing two large pads which muted both front and back heads simultaneously with the turn of a wing screw on the side of the shell. Of course, sound and taste is subjective, and music styles of yesterday favored and accepted far different bass drum sounds than we are used to today.

As regards the Gretsch Pratt bass drum mufflers, I have used them and never liked the result; finding the tone too "flat" and "dry" to my liking. Even so, I've heard and seen many Gretsch players using them. Similar internal controls were installed on older Sonor and Trixon kits and I was never happy with the result. All internal mufflers of this type also affect the "feel" and response of the head. Hope my views are of some help in your decision.

Posted on 1 year ago

Absolutely helpful! Thank you!

Posted on 1 year ago

On my Rogers kits, I keep the standard felt strip on the reso head, and a rolled-up hand towel wedged between the batter head and the pedal. Very adjustable, I just push it around with my stick if it needs a little tweek. There's nothing like the openness of an Ohio Rogers bass; I try to use as little muffling as possible.

John/Levelpebble

Tama Superstar 81 Aqua bop
Rogers Cleveland BDP (x2), Silver bop, Champagne, Black/Gold Duco, WMP, Blue sparkle; Dayton Red Onyx;
Camco Oaklawn 12 14 20 5x14 Tuxedo WMP
LW 59 SC Blue Sparkle, WMP
WFL Gold Sparkle SC, WMP Compacto
Gretsch 49/50 Broadkaster WMP
Fibes Copper Forte
Remo MasterEdge Bop, Gold Crown, Mondo
Slingerland Conway Black Satin
70's MIJ Del Ray, my first and fav ok I'm lying here
Way Too Many Snares, She Says
Posted on 1 year ago

Thanks for the feedback! Your tubs are gorgeous! I played a kit reputed to have once belonged to Bill Reichenbach at Charlie Byrd’s place out on the Eastern Shore that looked exactly like that (sans hardware) few years ago. Best regards,

Posted on 1 year ago

Thank you! Yeah, I’m definitely not tryna choke off the sound. Just got it into my head that it might give me just a slosh of versatility/control more easily. I guess there’s always “practice” and developing greater “technique” and control in my actual playing… dang it.

Posted on 1 year ago
Action Another action Something else here