Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 114.83090%

Vintage Trap kit project

Having these pieces of a trap kit for years, I’ve decided to start putting it together. I’ve put it off because of some of the issues it has and now that I have more knowledge about it, I’m willing to tackle it. One issue is the painted calfskin reso head of the 14x28” bass drum. It is split in a couple places bad. I don’t think it can be saved. I could maybe cut out the picture and stick it to a new head to keep the look, was an idea.

I need to make a trap table which should not be difficult. I have many items that can mount to it once I make the table and mount it to the bass drum.

Posted on 1 year ago
Posted on 1 year ago

That looks like a fun and challenging project.

Good luck!

Josh

Posted on 1 year ago

Beautiful scene on the head!!

Cheers

1976 Ludwig Mach 4 Thermogloss 26-18-14-14sn
1978 Ludwig Stainless 22-22-18-16-14-13-12 c/w 6-8-10-12-13-14-15-16-18-20-22-24 concert toms
1975 Sonor Phonic Centennials Metallic Pewter 22-16-13-12-14sn (D506)
1971 Ludwig Classic Bowling Ball OBP 22-16-14-13
1960's Stewart Peacock Pearl 20-16-12-14sn
1980`s Ludwig Coliseum Piano Black 8x14 snare
1973 Rogers Superten 5x14 & 6.5x14 COS snares
1970`s John Grey Capri Aquamarine Sparkle 5x14 snare
1941 Ludwig & Ludwig Super 8x14 snare
Posted on 1 year ago

Thanks jmcohan and grantro. It will be a challenge.

Posted on 1 year ago

Does anyone know the dimensions of a standard vintage trap table?

I measured what I think would work and it’s like either 13 or 14” deep, 20” wide.

Any input greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Nevermind, I just found an old Leedy catalog page that mentioned it being 14” x 20”.

Posted on 1 year ago

I will follow along..I agree it will be a fun project..Look forward to seeing as it moves along..I like projects of all types, not just Drums..And enjoy doing them..

Posted on 1 year ago

Cool project, I really like that badge.

If it were me I would mend the painted

Head from the backside and hang it on the wall.

Have you looked for a period correct table?

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 1 year ago

From jccabinets

Cool project, I really like that badge.If it were me I would mend the paintedHead from the backside and hang it on the wall.Have you looked for a period correct table?

Thank you Carbineone and jccabinets.

I just may do that with the reso head. I have the batter side calfskin head I could use pieces from to try and mend it. I wonder if getting the head wet with the painting on it will be an issue?

I plan on just putting together a table myself and do not plan on polishing up everything just yet but giving it all a good cleaning. So far I’ve been collecting some sound effects for the table. A few I have are vintage the rest are new.

I purchased a slide whistle, tambourine, kazoo, wood spoons, train whistle, and a few other items. This kit came with a few Ludwig Chinese temple blocks and stand that will hold 5 so I plan on using half of the stand for now. A slap stick and castanet stick. Other misc. hardware for wood blocks, cow bell and cymbal mounting. I will provide some pictures later.

Thanks again.

Posted on 1 year ago

I am too lazy to get out my trap table and measure it but recommend making your table as large as will fit on the bass drum because the "toys" will expand to fill the space. The table I bought did not have the mounting hardware so I used two hoop clamp cowbell holders and two tom mounts screwed to the bottom of the table to secure it to the beater side bass drum hoop. It works pretty well. (I don't see how to attach a jpg file so I will have to figure that out.) I hope you get a nice gig with a motion picture palace orchestra!

Posted on 1 year ago
Action Another action Something else here