Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 114.83090%

Recently Purchased Vintage Drum

Hello,

My husband is a drummer and loves to collect vintage drums. I just found a practically mint condition vintage 30-40s era Premier snare drum - wood body, heavy metal fixtures, real cowhide heads (you can literally see the pores of the skin), and metal snare wires that are individually tied (you can see where they are tied on the side with the excess hanging off). The seller is asking quite a hefty price for it considering it's in such great condition. I just wanted to see if anyone knew what it was actually worth or how I could find out that information? Again, it's a gorgeous drum. I just don't know if it's worth what they are asking. Thank you!

Posted on 9 years ago

Hi,

Welcome to the forum. Folks here will best be able to help if you post a picture. Any problems just let us know. Very cool that you are getting him a snare. I have to sneak the new ones in the house :-)

Creighton

Nothing special here but I like them.
Posted on 9 years ago

Oh ok! Well I've only got one picture saved so far. Hope this provides some more clarity. Thank you!

1 attachments
106.1 kB
Posted on 9 years ago

Holly smokes that is one very nice drum. You should get some help soon.

Creighton

Nothing special here but I like them.
Posted on 9 years ago

Hi and welcome to the forum. Premier Drum Company have always made fine drums and are very respected by vintage drum collectors. Your husband will surely appreciate owning this gorgeous drum. I'm very familiar with Premier, but marching drums are not my expertise. There is not a huge demand for marching drums so by and large they do tend to go for a lot less than say a snare drum for drum kit from the same era made by the same company, but a drum a nice as this one here will always attract the attention of any vintage drum collector. If indeed your husband does collect marching drums then this is one that he will no doubt want to own. As for prices, well, I can't appraise this drum, but I personally would be willing to pay as much as $300 if somebody offered it to me and would be more comfortable closer to $200, but to the right person who collects marching snares it's surely worth a lot more. Just don't pay too much, after all it is a marcher and Premier although they are highly regarded and make fine drums, they generally go for a bit less than the more desirable American drums.

Just my two cents. I could be proven wrong so maybe get a few more opinions before you make an offer. Hope this helps. Best of luck

Posted on 9 years ago

Is there a market for marching percussion? I am totally unfamiliar with this sector of the drum community.

Posted on 9 years ago

I haven't seen anything like the interest us kit drummers have in vintage drums among the marching community. Typically marching drummers play the gear purchased by the band, so there's less opportunity for feelings of ownership or sentiment. Marching bands typically try to stay ahead of the curve with their gear--especially the competitive bands--so old gear is seen as more redundant than charming and deserving of respect. I bought two marchers in the last while, a nice old Carlton snare and an even nicer Premier Royal Scot for less than $150 between them. Unlike my other snare drums, they aren't particularly gig worthy, so they are more a personal amusement than an investment.

Posted on 9 years ago

Now if it is civil war era that is typical th collectors market

April 2nd 1969 scarfed pink champagne holly wood and 65/66 downbeat snare, and , supra same year very minty kit old pies
66/67 downbeat with canister
Super 400 small round knob
1967 super classic obp

once the brass ceases to glitter, and the drum looses its luster, and the stage remains dark, all you have left is the timbre of family.
Posted on 9 years ago
Action Another action Something else here