Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Drums

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #11  
Old 04-23-2022, 01:26 PM
Tommyp's Avatar
Tommyp Tommyp is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,383
Default Re: Fibes Crystalite snare hoop questions.

[QUOTE=pgm554;472527] Probably in some church basement.


🤔 ….. 😎👍🏻😎
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-28-2022, 11:15 AM
pgm554 pgm554 is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 525
Default Re: Fibes Crystalite snare hoop questions.

Just noticed the shell is seamless.
I thought Fibes didn't make a seamless acrylic shell back ib the day.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-04-2022, 12:48 PM
4MoreYearsOhNo 4MoreYearsOhNo is offline
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 224
Default Re: Fibes Crystalite snare hoop questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm554 View Post
Thanks for the post.
For a minute there ,I thought you might have had the orchestral holy grail Fibes with the Spiraltone snares.
I would love to get my hands on one.
Sorry, but what are “spiraltone” snares? Can’t find any info on it?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-04-2022, 06:11 PM
Tommyp's Avatar
Tommyp Tommyp is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,383
Default Re: Fibes Crystalite snare hoop questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4MoreYearsOhNo View Post
Sorry, but what are “spiraltone” snares? Can’t find any info on it?
4MoreYearsOhNo!

This is all you will probably find/see regarding the Fibes Concert/Orchestral snare drum WITH the Spiraltone snares/wires. As mentioned, in all my years of buying, selling, and playing Fibes .. 49 years! .. I have NEVER seen this model or those wires. Same with pgm554. The “Holy Grail” in that, does one even exist? 🤔 I’ll attach a Fibes Price List showing this model. It’s at the bottom.

Tommyp
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	62517AAF-6301-49DC-A5B7-03B5BAE2A9B0.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	136581  
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-05-2022, 09:47 AM
pgm554 pgm554 is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 525
Default Re: Fibes Crystalite snare hoop questions.

Just saw a Fibes interview with Maxwell drums and Arthur Press with the Boston Symphony Orchestra used one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	b76842b6281950ea5d0706c324e0f901.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	136582  
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-05-2022, 02:35 PM
Tommyp's Avatar
Tommyp Tommyp is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,383
Default Re: Fibes Crystalite snare hoop questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm554 View Post
Just saw a Fibes interview with Maxwell drums and Arthur Press with the Boston Symphony Orchestra used one.
Forgot all about Arthur Press! .. and .. non standard Fibes lugs. Those would stick out immediately if you saw them. Still haven’t ever seen one “in the flesh” personally. Don’t know that I ever will!

Tommyp
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-06-2022, 09:31 AM
pgm554 pgm554 is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 525
Default Re: Fibes Crystalite snare hoop questions.

Anyway,the reseller on Reverb who sold this described it as in very good condition.
Went to get it polished at a local plastics shop and the manger said it in poor condition as it had many microfractures and scratches.
Dealer said it was in very good condition for being so old.
What a load.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	136586  
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-06-2022, 10:01 AM
leedybdp leedybdp is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,700
Default Re: Fibes Crystalite snare hoop questions.

It took me quite a while to figure out that the picture is a close-up of a "clear" Fibes shell.
__________________
No matter how far you push the envelope, it is still stationery.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-08-2022, 09:52 AM
Tommyp's Avatar
Tommyp Tommyp is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,383
Default Re: Fibes Crystalite snare hoop questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm554 View Post
Anyway,the reseller on Reverb who sold this described it as in very good condition.
Went to get it polished at a local plastics shop and the manger said it in poor condition as it had many microfractures and scratches.
Dealer said it was in very good condition for being so old.
What a load.
Yeah .. unfortunately .. we have ALL been there to some degree on a purchase. Still ... I'd say an easy 6 incher! ... meaning ... looks KILLER from 6" and back. No one would even really see the micro fractures/scratches. But I hear you. Still a bit disheartening that the seller wasn't more forthcoming on condition. That said, all back up and running, should sound GREAT! I had a 1973 Fibes clear Crystalite that I bought NEW in 1973. That drum covered every style asked of it. I NEVER should have sold it. SIGH. I'll attach a pic!

Tommyp
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1973Fibes_clear.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	136593   Click image for larger version

Name:	1973Fibes_clear2.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	136594  
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-09-2022, 11:17 AM
pgm554 pgm554 is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 525
Default Re: Fibes Crystalite snare hoop questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommyp View Post
Yeah .. unfortunately .. we have ALL been there to some degree on a purchase. Still ... I'd say an easy 6 incher! ... meaning ... looks KILLER from 6" and back. No one would even really see the micro fractures/scratches. But I hear you. Still a bit disheartening that the seller wasn't more forthcoming on condition. That said, all back up and running, should sound GREAT! I had a 1973 Fibes clear Crystalite that I bought NEW in 1973. That drum covered every style asked of it. I NEVER should have sold it. SIGH. I'll attach a pic!

Tommyp
I remember Hillery Jones having a smoked Fibes acrylic snare that she swore by.
Fantastic female drummer ,but got canceled for espousing her Ayn Rand point of view
(unlike Neil Peart).
Lost her DW endorsement.

Last edited by pgm554; 05-09-2022 at 11:50 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:07 PM.


Copyright 2022