Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Restoring Vintage Drums

Old 08-11-2022, 10:23 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Muffler felt. Can you wash it? :)

Hello all, has anyone out there ever washed a muffler? I'm talking about the felt itself. In this case it's a Ludwig baseball bat with white felt. The trouble is, the white felt looks as if if has absorbed some engine oil or something. I was considering putting it in the dishwasher. Yay or nay?
Thank you much.
Old 08-12-2022, 06:18 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: Muffler felt. Can you wash it? :)

Yay it should be fine
1967 super classic obp

once the brass ceases to glitter, and the drum looses its luster, and the stage remains dark, all you have left is the timbre of family.
Old 08-12-2022, 07:23 AM

Yes, it will be fine...but it does shrink a bit in the dryer: Like a sweater would, since it is made of wool. So next time I wash my muffler, in forty years, I will air dry it. This was the first and last time I ever used the Woolworth (name?) special detergent for wool clothing.
Old 08-12-2022, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member

I clean dirty felt bass drum beaters with Clorox bleach pens (pedal collector). Engine oil may be too tough to remove. I don't know why that would not work on a white internal muffler. It takes a little while to dry and be careful not to get any on your clothing. Who would have thought that drummers could develop such practical domestic skills...
Old 08-12-2022, 06:45 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

That's for all the replies, fellas. I soaked the muffler in hot water and some dish soap. I kind of just rubbed the soap into the felt / wool. It's certainly a lot better now. Not perfect, but good enough.
Old 08-13-2022, 12:16 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeo View Post
That's for all the replies, fellas. I soaked the muffler in hot water and some dish soap. I kind of just rubbed the soap into the felt / wool. It's certainly a lot better now. Not perfect, but good enough.
Sounds like a pretty good solution to your issue! Kudos! Any before and after pictures?

-Mark
Old 08-14-2022, 07:55 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrum4fun View Post
Sounds like a pretty good solution to your issue! Kudos! Any before and after pictures?

-Mark
It never even occurred to me to take a before and after pic. I'm happy enough with how it turned out. It seemed like maybe the muffler might have gotten dunked in a puddle of DW40 or something. It was real greasy and kind of brownish. It's now more of an off white. Close enough.