Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > General Drum Questions

Old 03-06-2019, 05:34 PM
Advanced Member

Default Ludwig P-88/P-35 vs Blackrolite

So I decide that the new strainer/butt would be a good upgrade for my '00 Blackrolite that I use with my Breakbeats.

Get it in the mail & start to put it on, well, this ain't gonna work...

The screws that come with it are #8, the originals are #6. "No big deal" I think, "I have the tools, I'll just drill out the holes."

Not so fast hoss, there's 2 sets of holes on the butt, one of which is tapped for the #8 screws but they don't line up with the stock holes.

No problem, there's another set that does line up, but they're not tapped!

No way am I going to go to the trouble of drilling new holes (I'm not worried about the value of the drum, it's a Blackrolite) it's just too much hassle.

Ludwig advertises that it's a drop-in replacement for the P-85/P-32, yeah right....
Old 03-06-2019, 05:42 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: Ludwig P-88/P-35 vs Blackrolite

Funny that you mentioned this upgrade! I just did the same to a custom NOB Worldmax shell I purchased and transfered the hardware from my Blackrolite. I got around all the mounting issues. Not too difficult, but tough if you don't have the proper tools. I've already taken lots of pictures of the P88/P35, but still need to resize them for posting here on VDF. I was planning a full report on it!

-Mark
Old 03-06-2019, 05:47 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

BTW, Ludwig only states that it is a replacement for the P-85/P-33, NOT the P-32. If you need to replace the P-32, you have to tap the existing holes on the new P-35 to 8-32. Here's a link that gives some information about this... https://drumsonsale.com/parts/throwo...plate-set.html

-Mark
Old 03-08-2019, 12:40 PM
Advanced Member

To heck with it, I really don't want to hassle with it, even though I have the tools. I'll save it for a possible future project.