Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Drums

Old 05-22-2021, 08:26 PM
Advanced Member

Default Found a gem in paradise!

Im in Hawai’i to play a show and I was browsing through the only music store in Kona and came across this Camco kit and scored it. Now packing it up and shipping it to mainland. To restore or not to restore?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8930D8F7-F84D-4920-B3DB-CE70D3008525.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	134416   Click image for larger version

Name:	DD7A7DAC-1013-4A51-BBE2-A8FFC69A085A.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	134417  
1970's MIJ tempro pro snare
Old 05-23-2021, 01:16 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: Found a gem in paradise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanlawrence View Post
Im in Hawai’i to play a show and I was browsing through the only music store in Kona and came across this Camco kit and scored it. Now packing it up and shipping it to mainland. To restore or not to restore?
My vote is for restoration! Pretty cool that you found a Camco kit in Hawaii! Keep us updated!

-Mark
Old 05-23-2021, 02:32 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Sweet find.

Try to determine if a famous band left it there. If you only had a three-piece, I have suggested Doug Clifford and Creedence. But with the extra one small tom, it probably wasn't him. If it was just owned by drummer X, I'd restore it.

Start looking right away for the double tom mount if you didn't get it. It's a rare bird.
Old 05-23-2021, 04:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Boucher View Post
Sweet find.

Try to determine if a famous band left it there. If you only had a three-piece, I have suggested Doug Clifford and Creedence. But with the extra one small tom, it probably wasn't him. If it was just owned by drummer X, I'd restore it.

Start looking right away for the double tom mount if you didn't get it. It's a rare bird.
I spoke to Rick the shop owner and he mentioned a local drummer had owned the kit for as long he could remember.
Upon removing the hardware I noticed the serial number 02 on the kick drum reinforcement ring. Maybe I have something rare.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EE8C52BF-72D8-47C1-B6BE-20B90C801204.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	134420  
Old 05-23-2021, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

There were a couple of Camco endorsers that played mostly in Hawaii (Morgan Grant and Frank Kim).
1926 Super Ludwig 5x14
1960-ish Ludwig COB 5x14 Super Sensitive
1960-ish Ludwig COB 6.5x14 Super Sensitive
1970 Ludwig COB Cut-Badge 5x14 Supra Phonic

Looking for a Camco Aristocrat SD in Blue Moire!!
Old 05-23-2021, 01:01 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

That drum set looks to like a great candidate for piano black lacquer finish. If not painted, I would wrap it in Slingerland version of large pattern Vintage White Marine Pearl.
Old 05-23-2021, 04:25 PM
Advanced Member

DO NOT REFINISH THESE DRUMS! For the love of god they are only original once. The patina is charming and tells the story of a well loved and played drum set. Just clean and detail the chrome.

Your kit is VERY special and is the earliest production kit I have ever seen. It is the SECOND kit that was ever made in the Los Angeles era. I spoke with the owner of Camco during the Los Angeles era by phone, Tom Beckman. Among other things he told me that the numbers inside LA Camco shells are in fact production numbers and were sequential from the beginning of the run (1973-77).

Your kit made of Keller maple shells 6&6 shell/rings - as opposed to the Oaklawn and Chanute eras both being Jasper shells. If you feel like selling please let me know but I would really beg you not to strip and refinish. This kit looks cool and to me and other Camco fans is extra cool being such an early example. If you can share any posts inside the shells I would love to see them.

Hey and CONGRATS! Killer score
Old 05-23-2021, 07:17 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

The title of this thread checks out.

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Old 05-23-2021, 08:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariosdrums View Post
DO NOT REFINISH THESE DRUMS! For the love of god they are only original once. The patina is charming and tells the story of a well loved and played drum set. Just clean and detail the chrome.

Your kit is VERY special and is the earliest production kit I have ever seen. It is the SECOND kit that was ever made in the Los Angeles era. I spoke with the owner of Camco during the Los Angeles era by phone, Tom Beckman. Among other things he told me that the numbers inside LA Camco shells are in fact production numbers and were sequential from the beginning of the run (1973-77).

Your kit made of Keller maple shells 6&6 shell/rings - as opposed to the Oaklawn and Chanute eras both being Jasper shells. If you feel like selling please let me know but I would really beg you not to strip and refinish. This kit looks cool and to me and other Camco fans is extra cool being such an early example. If you can share any posts inside the shells I would love to see them.

Hey and CONGRATS! Killer score
Thank for the input! I’ll definitely leave it be and just clean up the hardware as best I can. I packed it all carefully and shipping it tomorrow to the mainland then I will unpack and post some photos! I didn’t know it was that rare! Wow.
Old 05-23-2021, 10:00 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanlawrence View Post
Thank for the input! I’ll definitely leave it be and just clean up the hardware as best I can. I packed it all carefully and shipping it tomorrow to the mainland then I will unpack and post some photos! I didn’t know it was that rare! Wow.
I'm glad this information came to light! I would never have known any of this! Yes, by all means, just clean them up, play them, and enjoy the historic nature and mojo of your Camco kit. Congrats on a great find!

-Mark