Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Drums

Old 06-10-2021, 06:55 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Obp price

I thinking Iím way to old to be doing this any more, just passed on a 66 kit in nickel super Classic for 1800 on face book
Then he sold it not even 5 minutes after I said no for 2 k
am I loosing it ?
or what , I thought it was too high for a delaminated bd ,(scarf was broke open )looked like a drop
or someone sat on it
maybe Iím just too old.
First time in a while I was even thinking on buying another kit .
I just donít have it any more
Hope someone here bought it and we donít see it on the bay fir 25 k lol
Gary aka houndog

once the brass ceases to glitter, and the drum looses its luster, and the stage remains dark, all you have left is the timbre of family.
Old 06-10-2021, 09:49 AM
Contributing Member

Default Re: Obp price

I saw that also, Jaghog. What surprised me was the all-nickel hardware on an early-1966 kit. (Badge numbers were 292xxx - 293xxx.) Would this have been a special order? I had no idea that nickel hardware was available as late as 1966.

Regards, MB
Old 06-10-2021, 11:11 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

If the kit was damaged and in need of major work, then I'd say the price was high. The fact that vintage OBP kits are highly desirable, means you're less likely to find any kind of bargain on them. Thank God, I'm not partial to that wrap.

I'm not sure who would have special ordered nickel hardware in 1966 -as chrome was the more desirable option by then...but anything is possible with vintage Ludwig.

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Old 06-10-2021, 11:17 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Marty

The latest that I have seen nickel on Ludwig is '67. There seem to be quite a few 66 kits with nickel. I imagine that Ludwig realized that nickel was on a downturn and was pushing them out.

Mike
Old 06-10-2021, 01:48 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks O-lugs and MLayton for that info. I too wouldn't have wanted nickel hardware once COS was available.

Re: the damage to that OBP kit, it appears to my untrained eye, that some strong wood glue and the proper clamping device could repair the bass drum split....but a nickel-plated kit ain't a Ringo kit even with the wrap being Ringo-correct.

And except for the Ringo connection, I too was never thrilled with the OBP or its cousin Black Diamond Pearl. The Sky Blue was more appealing to my eyes.

Give me Silver Sparkle or Champagne Sparkle any day!

But beauty is certainly in the eyes of the beholder. In the 1970s, I thought Butcher Block Cortex was really cool, but a lot of drummers would disagree.

To each his own! Enjoy our Big Boy Toys!

Regards, MB
Old 06-10-2021, 07:26 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

I Still prefer my pink champagne Hollywood kit
Maybe my instincts are still on cue!

once the brass ceases to glitter, and the drum looses its luster, and the stage remains dark, all you have left is the timbre of family.
Old 06-11-2021, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Black View Post
Thanks O-lugs and MLayton for that info. I too wouldn't have wanted nickel hardware once COS was available.

Re: the damage to that OBP kit, it appears to my untrained eye, that some strong wood glue and the proper clamping device could repair the bass drum split....but a nickel-plated kit ain't a Ringo kit even with the wrap being Ringo-correct.

And except for the Ringo connection, I too was never thrilled with the OBP or its cousin Black Diamond Pearl. The Sky Blue was more appealing to my eyes.

Give me Silver Sparkle or Champagne Sparkle any day!

But beauty is certainly in the eyes of the beholder. In the 1970s, I thought Butcher Block Cortex was really cool, but a lot of drummers would disagree.

To each his own! Enjoy our Big Boy Toys!

Regards, MB

I still have my 70's butcher block kit. Got it when I was 14 because it was the closest to Ringo's Maple kit I thought I would ever get. Still think they are cool.
Old 06-11-2021, 09:48 AM
Contributing Member

Agree MPC ! This is a photo taken about 3 years ago at a gig. My 1976 Butcher Block Cortex that I ordered/purchased new way back then. That band played a few Cheap Trick songs, so I would don my Bun E. Carlos disguise! (I play lefty; the photo ain't backwards.)
Enjoy your still-cool kit!

Regards, MB
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Me as Bun E. Carlos - 1.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	151.8 KB
ID:	134512