Old 06-21-2021, 05:24 PM

Default Is this normal?
When I was stripping down my Ludwig Auditorium to treat the shell with mahogany restore a finish I noticed that the bowtie lug wasn't centred (like I assumed it woud be). On the 6 1/2" deep shell, the top hole is 2 1/2" fron the edge and the bottom hole is just 2" from the edge.

Is this normal? I did notice it before when the head was on, but I put it down to being an old stretched reso head.

Can someone enlighten me?
Attached Thumbnails
Old 06-21-2021, 09:07 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: Is this normal?
Unfortunately, it is more common than you might think! I've got quite a few vintage snare drums exhibiting this issue! Most recently, I just did a complete detailing of a mid-60's Slingerland Deluxe Student snare drum and a 60's MIJ snare drum. The shells for both drums were drilled so the lugs are more towards the top! It really bothers my OCD! I need to take pictures and post them.

-Mark
Old 06-21-2021, 09:17 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Here's the drum in question... a beautiful 1964 Deluxe Student in a rare Sparkling Green Pearl wrap! Check out the top/bottom spacing of the lugs!

-Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Old 06-22-2021, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrum4fun View Post
Unfortunately, it is more common than you might think! I've got quite a few vintage snare drums exhibiting this issue! Most recently, I just did a complete detailing of a mid-60's Slingerland Deluxe Student snare drum and a 60's MIJ snare drum. The shells for both drums were drilled so the lugs are more towards the top! It really bothers my OCD! I need to take pictures and post them.

-Mark
Thanks - but is there a reason for it? Is it just an error or is there a sonic reasoning behind it? If it was an error then surely differnt lugs would be spaced differently. Or did someone in the factory in 1959 drill the first hole in the wrong place then need to follow through with the other holes?
Old 06-22-2021, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Here's the drum in question... a beautiful 1964 Deluxe Student in a rare Sparkling Green Pearl wrap! Check out the top/bottom spacing of the lugs!

-Mark
Nice drum - this one is more aligned to the batter head!?! There must be a reason!!!!!

(can you tell this is bothering me!?!)
Old 06-22-2021, 09:06 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by khmerali View Post
Nice drum - this one is more aligned to the batter head!?! There must be a reason!!!!!

(can you tell this is bothering me!?!)
Yes, it's a beautiful drum...even with the misaligned lugs! To answer your question, there is really no other reason than just pure mistake! All the shells were drilled on a jig and little attention seems to have been paid as to accuracy of placement. In the same respect, I've got plenty of snare drums that should measure 5.5" in depth, but can actually range anywhere from a little over 5" to a bit over 5.5". I just never understood how the depths were so off from drum to drum! Most of these drilling jigs were set up for a 5.5" shell, but when the shell was a different depth, the lug placement from top to bottom wasn't changed.

Another recent addition to my Slingerland Deluxe Student snare drum collection is a beautiful example wrapped in Light Blue Pearl. The shell should be 5.5" deep, but is only 5" deep. It's very noticeable when compared to my other snare drums. Fortunately, this drum was properly drilled to center the lugs on the 5" deep shell. I'll try to get some pictures posted!

-Mark
Old 06-22-2021, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Yes, it's a beautiful drum...even with the misaligned lugs! To answer your question, there is really no other reason than just pure mistake! All the shells were drilled on a jig and little attention seems to have been paid as to accuracy of placement. In the same respect, I've got plenty of snare drums that should measure 5.5" in depth, but can actually range anywhere from a little over 5" to a bit over 5.5". I just never understood how the depths were so off from drum to drum! Most of these drilling jigs were set up for a 5.5" shell, but when the shell was a different depth, the lug placement from top to bottom wasn't changed.

Another recent addition to my Slingerland Deluxe Student snare drum collection is a beautiful example wrapped in Light Blue Pearl. The shell should be 5.5" deep, but is only 5" deep. It's very noticeable when compared to my other snare drums. Fortunately, this drum was properly drilled to center the lugs on the 5" deep shell. I'll try to get some pictures posted!

-Mark
Yes the jig being set up for the more standard 5 1/2" drum would make sense.

Thanks Mark
Old 06-22-2021, 07:13 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Here are two more examples of shell depth. The White Marine Pearl drum has a date stamp of Apr 65, while the Light Blue Pearl drum is date stamped Apr 66. The WMP shell is 5.5", while the LBP shell is 5". At least the person drilling the shells got the lug locations correct for each shell!

-Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Old 06-23-2021, 05:13 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Interesting topic and photos. Having mostly had Rogers drums, that is one issue I haven't run across (though Rogers had their issues too).
Old 06-30-2021, 02:51 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:

-Mark
Mark ..that green sparkle is a beautiful drum indeed... but to me it appears that maybe?? the badge may be centre'd but it's the lugs are not ?? I am just looking at the tension screw threading,,, ?

Cheers Mate..

Last edited by longjohn; 06-30-2021 at 02:53 AM.