Vintage Drum Forum

Vintage Drum Forum (http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/index.php)
-   Vintage Drums (http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Ludwig Black Panther (http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=67060)

Black Label 06-11-2021 04:50 AM

Ludwig Black Panther

1 Attachment(s)
Hi there - here's a pic of a set that I just purchased from a friend of mine (along with a 1963 Premier outfit 54 kit with original cases - will post some pics of this one later). I hope to receive it soon and I will then post some more detailed pics. All keystone badges with 1969 serial numbers. The rail was removed and the L arm was retrofitted to the Bass drum. All else appears original. Only condition issue is a small tear in the wrap on the bass drum. I am super excited about this kit.

I will report more once I receive it.

Have an awesome day.

Cheers
Erik

idrum4fun 06-11-2021 02:49 PM

Re: Ludwig Black Panther

Hi Erik!

Very nice! I'm sure the big question, and one that many others might ask, is what are the possibilities that there Citrus Mod underneath the Black Panther wrap!

-Mark

Black Label 06-12-2021 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by idrum4fun (Post 468244)
Hi Erik!

Very nice! I'm sure the big question, and one that many others might ask, is what are the possibilities that there Citrus Mod underneath the Black Panther wrap!

-Mark

Thanks Mark👍Maybe Iím missing something but why could there be Citrus Mod under the wrap?

DRUMR69 06-12-2021 10:00 AM

I believe it would be on later kits due to this is a Keystone Badge and The Citrus Mod just came out in 69. After early 70's when the Psychedelic wraps weren't selling well is when they started covering them with the Panther wraps.

Wayne

idrum4fun 06-12-2021 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRUMR69 (Post 468247)
I believe it would be on later kits due to this is a Keystone Badge and The Citrus Mod just came out in 69. After early 70's when the Psychedelic wraps weren't selling well is when they started covering them with the Panther wraps.

Wayne

Hi Wayne!

Thanks for reminding me about this. I completely forgot that a Keystone Badge Black Panther kit would most likely NOT have Citrus Mod underneath!

-Mark

thin shell 06-12-2021 06:09 PM

I seem to recall reading a thread somewhere, where someone bought a keystone badge black panther kit that had Citrus Mod under the black wrap. It never hurts to check.

O-Lugs 06-12-2021 08:38 PM

It's doubtful, but it should be easy to see some kind of telltale evidence after that many years IF it has been wrapped over. Look at the scarf joint....Look at the edges of any screw holes....Look for any fraying around the bearing edges....etc.

Talk about how miserly Ludwig was -that they would think to just wrap another wrap over an already-wrapped drum! LOL! Sheesh! :)

O-Lugs 06-12-2021 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black Label (Post 468246)
Thanks Mark👍Maybe Iím missing something but why could there be Citrus Mod under the wrap?

When Citrus Mod wrap was introduced back in the day...very few people liked it. With the psychedelia of the times, Ludwig gambled that many drummers would like its but when Ludwig realized it was a flop, they decided that the easiest fix would be to stretch the thin Black Panther material over the already-wrapped Citrus Mod shells....But no one like the bLack Panther wrap, either. Inevitably, both were discontinued...

...And so here we are decades later, looking for that elusive Citrus Mod wrap - as well as seeing a new-found popularity (with some folks) for the Black Panther wrap.

idrum4fun 06-12-2021 09:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a picture of a Ludwig 1971 floor tom, showing the Citrus Mod underneath the Black Panther.

-Mark

Black Label 06-12-2021 11:17 PM

Wow that’s incredible. I really hope I don’t find tha wrap under the black panther wrap - how the heck do you decide which one to keep especially if the BP wrap is in perfectly good shape�� Thanks for the input guys����