Vintage Drum Forum

Vintage Drum Forum (https://www.vintagedrumforum.com/index.php)
-   Vintage Drums (https://www.vintagedrumforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Show us your Satin Flame drums (https://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=67523)

leedybdp 03-19-2022 12:18 PM

Show us your Satin Flame drums

3 Attachment(s)
This topic is for those of us who like Satin Flame drums or whatever the various manufacturers called this type of drum wrap. I have owned several sets of Satin Flame drums over the years. I currently have two sets. You have probably seen my 1968 Slingerland Lavender Satin Flame set and my re-wrapped Leedy orphans set with original Camco snare drum. Let's see yours--past or present.

johnnyringo 03-19-2022 05:48 PM

Re: Show us your Satin Flame drums

1 Attachment(s)
I had this Slingerland a few years ago.

leedybdp 03-20-2022 08:35 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Although I don't really have seller's remorse for selling or trading away drums that i once owned, I do miss my Red Satin Flame Leedy set with an extra matching Slingerland snare drum. My set had drum sizes of 20-12-14-and 5 x 14 snare drum. Yours looks like 22-13-16. Is that right? Unfortunately, I don't have pictures of all of the drum sets I have owned. The Slingerland Charcoal Satin Flame drum set picture is from the Internet. It is just like the set I once used as my gigging drums. The Walberg & Auge Salmon Satin Flame set was so effing ugly that it was gorgeous. The "Clown Barf" set of orphan drums was fun to create with leftover scraps of Satin Flame wrap. I was stunned when I found out that my friend's drum shop sold these very quickly. The bongos are still mine. They will soon be wrapped in Lavender Satin Flame to match my recently-acquired Slingerland set.

skins_in_the_game 03-20-2022 10:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
been posted before but I still use them today.
64 1N krupa set with 13,16,20 and 14 1ply snare.

i'm second owner and all hardware and cymbals original. had all original Slingerland heads as well (except on snare)

leedybdp 03-20-2022 10:47 AM

That White Satin Flame Krupa set is beautiful. I hope that you enjoy playing it for many more years.

idrum4fun 03-20-2022 02:00 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are my Satin Flame snare drums! I gathered them up this morning for a "family" photo! I recently removed the hardware from the Gold Satin Flame shell to re-install on a Slingerland COB GK shell, but the included picture shows what it looked like assembled.

-Mark

Delorso 03-20-2022 06:30 PM

I'm really enjoying this thread. Honestly, I'd never paid much attention to Satin Flame wraps, but the ones I'm seeing here are really cool!

leedybdp 03-20-2022 07:22 PM

The Avocado Satin Flame is very interesting. I almost pulled the trigger on a Gretsch five- piece-set in that wrap.

leedybdp 03-23-2022 02:42 PM

As I had guessed, we Satin Flame drum fanciers are a small community of off-kilter drummers. I think that there must still be some more of us in this forum who might be reluctant to let everyone else know of their weird drum proclivities. Be brave....show us your current or former Satin Flame drums.

nopork 03-23-2022 03:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Okay lets try this 1966 Slingerland bop kit.

idrum4fun 03-23-2022 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nopork (Post 472265)

nopork!

Now, that is just too cool!

-Mark

idrum4fun 03-23-2022 09:55 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Seeing nopork's Blue Satin Flame set reminded me that I completely forgot about my set from 2003! Here's my catalog set; Cusatis 4N. Just like the catalog picture, mine had the optional 9x13 substituted for the 8x12 at no additional cost! I regret letting the 4N go!

-Mark

robyn64 03-23-2022 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nopork (Post 472265)

Wow! sweet looking lit'l kit there.

DionneDrummer 03-24-2022 08:18 AM

2 Attachment(s)
They aren't vintage but here are my son's Mapex red satin flame drums. First pic without the flash and the second with the flash on! Eye Ball

These were given to us free from a family member!

Jeff

Warrenwood 03-24-2022 10:41 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I have a 1966 Slingerland Yellow Satin Flame double bass. But I've realized I can't play double bass, so I have it up for sale on Reverb.

leedybdp 03-25-2022 12:01 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The 1961 Slingerland 7 x 14 snare drum that i acquired with my 1968 Lavender Satin Flame set had been repainted in black lacquer. I bought the closest match to the original satin flame wrap material from Canal Plastics in New York City. It's fairly close to the other drums. It was easy to wrap over the painted shell. Here it is after I installed the badge that is original to the drum.

drumfx 03-29-2022 08:28 AM

3 Attachment(s)
A few drums, i am a sucker for satin flames. Along with sparkles, agates and diamond pearls. Heck i love em' all. Hhaha.

idrum4fun 03-29-2022 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drumfx (Post 472293)
A few drums, i am a sucker for satin flames. Along with sparkles, agates and diamond pearls. Heck i love em' all. Hhaha.

Looking good!!

-Mark

sksmith2500 04-02-2022 01:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
These were my rewrapped Gretsch set. Original 3 piece (13/16/20) with Pearl style mount holes in the tom & bass. The original wrap on all was cracked or missing. Added the 2nd 16 and the 6 lug snare. Both needed a lot of love. Filled the holes & rewrapped them all to match. Sold them to a guy in Jacksonville. FL in 2013, with him knowing they were rewrapped. Amazingly, everything was there for all of the drums, except the bass badge and a couple of dampeners that I bought from Cherie Willoughby way back at the turn of the century. They were really a great set of drums. The snare is not in the photo.

leedybdp 04-03-2022 09:38 AM

sksmith2500...That Gretsch set looks beautiful. You righted a major wrong by replacing the plumbing pipes with the rail consolette. Thank you.

sksmith2500 04-09-2022 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leedybdp (Post 472355)
sksmith2500...That Gretsch set looks beautiful. You righted a major wrong by replacing the plumbing pipes with the rail consolette. Thank you.

Thanks leedybdp!
That was a great set of tubs. Hopefully the guy that bought them is still enjoying them.

gwm 04-10-2022 07:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My one and only venture into satin flame land.

ludwig402 04-18-2022 04:05 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Finally something I feel I can chime in on :)

All are re-wraps using products from Canal, and all look better in person.

leedybdp 04-18-2022 07:01 PM

Those are three beautiful drum sets that you should be proud of giving new life.

ludwig402 04-20-2022 01:37 AM

Thank you Leedybdp!

Kenwood 05-01-2022 11:37 PM

5 Attachment(s)
One authentic Gretsch round badge kit one jelly bean group with an authentic Sonor tear drop bass drum surrounded by Star made Sonor tear drop knock off drums and a few 100% Japanese made kits

DionneDrummer 05-02-2022 08:48 AM

Nice collection Kenwood!Clapping Happy2

leedybdp 05-02-2022 10:49 AM

It looks like Kenwood has the Satin Flame sickness. Welcome to the club.

Kenwood 05-02-2022 03:03 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by DionneDrummer (Post 472620)
Nice collection Kenwood!Clapping Happy2

Thank You kindly DionneDrummer, I have been at it for a while now. Here are two seller's pics of my white satin flame "Black Jacks" by Star, missing only the bass drum inlays. These blue flame Apollos also by Star are the first satin flame kit in my display. The re-wrapped Ludwig rockers were purchased in pieces, I brought the shells into my shop, but left the lugs and other bits, in the car. A few days later, someone stole the car, with the rocker parts as well. Eight months later, the car was recovered, heavily vandalized and partially stripped, but the rocker hardware was right where I left it. So I was finally able to re-assemble them. The final pic is some distressed Premere 75th anniversary drums in marmalade satin flame. They were a practice kit for a local working drummer who had passed. I have them fleshed out with hardware and cymbals and alternate between them and a few others. Coffee Break2

DionneDrummer 05-05-2022 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenwood (Post 472626)
Thank You kindly DionneDrummer, I have been at it for a while now. Here are two seller's pics of my white satin flame "Black Jacks" by Star, missing only the bass drum inlays. These blue flame Apollos also by Star are the first satin flame kit in my display. The re-wrapped Ludwig rockers were purchased in pieces, I brought the shells into my shop, but left the lugs and other bits, in the car. A few days later, someone stole the car, with the rocker parts as well. Eight months later, the car was recovered, heavily vandalized and partially stripped, but the rocker hardware was right where I left it. So I was finally able to re-assemble them. The final pic is some distressed Premere 75th anniversary drums in marmalade satin flame. They were a practice kit for a local working drummer who had passed. I have them fleshed out with hardware and cymbals and alternate between them and a few others. Coffee Break2

OK - Now you're just showing off!!! Laughing H
Amazing that you got those parts back form the stolen car!

red66charger 05-23-2022 05:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Early 60s Camco 20/12/14/701 Super

DrumBob 05-23-2022 10:37 PM

I have always shied away from satin flame drums, because they scratch so easily and almost always come used with terrible cracks and splits. I'd love a set though. I don't use cases on my gigging drums, just load them carefully in the car, and satin flame drums are too prone to damage.

idrum4fun 05-23-2022 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by red66charger (Post 472757)
Early 60s Camco 20/12/14/701 Super

Wow!! An absolute beauty! Wasn't this the make and color played by Dennis Wilson of the Beach Boys?

-Mark

leedybdp 05-24-2022 07:45 AM

Bob...I understand the avoidance of cases for your "working" drums. I have always used cloth drum bags. I still have the Mackintosh cloth drum bags that I used for my 1961 Rogers set when I bought them new following my high school graduation. When we sold our last house to move to our present house, our belongings had to be in storage for a month. I had acquired cloth bags for all of my vintage drum sets (thirteen complete drum sets). There were no drum casualties. Many of the bags were the original vintage type bought for a pittance on eBay. If I was still gigging, I would still schlep my drums in cloth bags.

DrumBob 05-24-2022 04:45 PM

Howie, I have a set of bags that will basically fit any of drumsets. I'm just too lazy to deal with them after a four hour gig! All of my sets are working kits. It depends on my mood at the moment.

I did a few dates a few years ago on the road with a Neil Young tribute band in VA and NC, and didn't even bring the bags out for those. I'm just very careful transporting the drums to and fro. I stayed in hotels and brought the drums up to my rooms at night, much to the amazement of the hotel staff. I couldn't leave them in the car.

red66charger 05-27-2022 03:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by idrum4fun (Post 472760)
Wow!! An absolute beauty! Wasn't this the make and color played by Dennis Wilson of the Beach Boys?

-Mark

I've read opinions that Dennis had more than one Camco kit. Someone even had an opinion he never had a Blue Moire kit, rather, it was White Moire. I can believe that he had more than one and potentially different colors of Moire. Many of the Beach Boys photos of that era are black and white, but this one appears to be an authentic color photo.

hardbat 05-28-2022 10:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's one:
Attachment 136655

Dan Boucher 05-29-2022 05:51 AM

Two Camcos in a row! Looks like red66charger's set is blue and this last one is aqua. Both beautiful.