Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Cymbals

Old 08-07-2009, 08:32 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Probably been asked before, but.....Ringo's cymbals....

Ok, I've got the Beatles Gear book, and studied the man, the legend, the pictures over the years......but.....what sizes of cymbals did Ringo generally use in his Beatles days? I know early on he played Zyn, then Paiste, then Zildjian.....everyone seems to know that, but what were the sizes? And while we're at it, what MODELS of Paiste did he use in the early days? What weight Zildjians were they? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller? Anyone? (a moment od silence for the passing of director John Hughes please)
Old 08-07-2009, 10:06 PM
Advanced Member

Send a message via AIM to GiantBeater
Default Re: Probably been asked before, but.....Ringo's cymbals....

Dude-
You will have to ask Bernard Perdie. OK ha ha ha

Ringo used stanoples for the paistes in the early days... 18'' and 20''. you can see them on some early photos since their bells are hugggeee UFO type things. There also is a rumor that he used 14'' Arbiter 602 hats on the Please Please Me album. Anyways, It is still under speculation but Ringo definitely used 15'' Avedis hats... really hi pitched magical pair. But some speculate he also had a 14'' pair. He owned a few Zildjian 18''s. the earlier ed sullivan one was a bit pingier than the "Help!" 18''.. the latter being another magical cymbal, I bet it wobbled. Ringo used a 20'' zyn with rivets all the way through A Hard Day's Night when he started using an Avedis 20''. My bet is that when he received his thermo gloss maple hollywood kit which were dated 1967 and sometimes used on the White Album, he recevied at least one 20'' Paiste 602 because it is obvious he uses a 602 on the rooftop, and he probably kept in with his 3 cymbal set up through abbey road.
By the way, i portray Ringo Starr in numerous tribute acts across the country so i've studied this stuff in detail.
Old 08-08-2009, 06:31 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantBeater View Post
Dude-
You will have to ask Bernard Perdie. OK ha ha ha

Ringo used stanoples for the paistes in the early days... 18'' and 20''. you can see them on some early photos since their bells are hugggeee UFO type things. There also is a rumor that he used 14'' Arbiter 602 hats on the Please Please Me album. Anyways, It is still under speculation but Ringo definitely used 15'' Avedis hats... really hi pitched magical pair. But some speculate he also had a 14'' pair. He owned a few Zildjian 18''s. the earlier ed sullivan one was a bit pingier than the "Help!" 18''.. the latter being another magical cymbal, I bet it wobbled. Ringo used a 20'' zyn with rivets all the way through A Hard Day's Night when he started using an Avedis 20''. My bet is that when he received his thermo gloss maple hollywood kit which were dated 1967 and sometimes used on the White Album, he recevied at least one 20'' Paiste 602 because it is obvious he uses a 602 on the rooftop, and he probably kept in with his 3 cymbal set up through abbey road.
By the way, i portray Ringo Starr in numerous tribute acts across the country so i've studied this stuff in detail.
Cool, that gives me a start......any idea on the weights? You know, Medium, medium-thin, thin?? Crash/rides, crashes, rides?
Old 08-08-2009, 10:31 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludwig-dude View Post
Cool, that gives me a start......any idea on the weights? You know, Medium, medium-thin, thin?? Crash/rides, crashes, rides?
Based on pitch comparisons that I've done with 18" A's of known weight, I guesstimate that his 18" was somewhere in the lower 1400 gram range. But it seems to play like its thinner that. I surmise that would be due to a slightly flatter than average profile.
Old 08-08-2009, 10:35 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumaholic View Post
Based on pitch comparisons that I've done with 18" A's of known weight, I guesstimate that his 18" was somewhere in the lower 1400 gram range. But it seems to play like its thinner that. I surmise that would be due to a slightly flatter than average profile.
so 1400 grams would be the equivilent of what range? medium-thin, thin?
Old 08-08-2009, 10:37 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludwig-dude View Post
so 1400 grams would be the equivilent of what range? medium-thin, thin?
In the mid '50's that would have been considered to be a thin. I'm guessing that was probably the era for his, but I'd love to know for sure.
Old 07-21-2012, 03:15 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

This is an old thread, but I'm bringing it back around. LOL. I've been wondering about his old hi hats. I'm thinking that his hats may have been the kind that pre-dated the new beats, but instead may have been the kind with similar matched weights on top and bottom from the earlier days (as opposed to the heavier bottom cymbal). Any thoughts?