Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Non-USA drums

Old 01-19-2017, 01:33 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Anyone ever see this tom mount before?

I found this on sleazebay.

My MIJ "Olympian" (not to be confused with "Olympic"-Made by Premier/England) bass drum has this same exact mounting plate shown attached to the shell, but is missing the post/long tube with the "baseball bat" apparatus. The curious thing is, my rack tom has the exact same mounting plate on it as well. That means the tom post/arm would be the exact same diameter as the one shown with the baseball bat.

Do you think a post/tube of that same size would fit on the open end of the baseball bat apparatus? It seems like whatever is supposed to fit in there has a smaller tube diameter to me.

Anyone else see this mount style before? Can anyone provide photos of what the arm/tube is supposed to look like that supports the actual tom (again, the mounting plate is exactly the same on the tom, so it stands to reason that the tube diameter of the actual tom arm should be the same as what's shown on the long tube baseball bat part).

Thanks!

V
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600 (1).jpg
Views:	83
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	105985   Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600 (2).jpg
Views:	87
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	105986   Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	105987  
Old 01-19-2017, 10:31 AM
Contributing Member

Default Re: Anyone ever see this tom mount before?

I used to have a MIJ that had that same mount on both the tom and bass drum. The hardware that mounted the tom to the base was 2 identical tubes about 6 inches long connected in the middle with a nut and bolt with course teeth that kept the joint from slipping. Similar to the modern pearl tom mount. I believe that the one you have pictured is for a spade mount. Sorry no picture of my part though as I sold the kit well before I knew what vintage drums.
Old 01-19-2017, 10:36 AM
Contributing Member

I think what you need is is similar to the tom mount in this picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mount.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	106000  
Old 01-19-2017, 10:45 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasehirshiii View Post
I think that looks like it! Thanks for the photographic evidence. I'll have to measure the diameter of the mounts of both the tom and bass drum. It's definitely smaller than traditional "Pearl Style" 7/8".

Does anyone happen to have one?
Old 01-19-2017, 11:18 AM
Contributing Member

If I recall correctly the tube was 5/8" or possibly 3/4" on both sides
Old 01-19-2017, 01:14 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyacheslav View Post
I found this on sleazebay.

My MIJ "Olympian" (not to be confused with "Olympic"-Made by Premier/England) bass drum has this same exact mounting plate shown attached to the shell, but is missing the post/long tube with the "baseball bat" apparatus. The curious thing is, my rack tom has the exact same mounting plate on it as well. That means the tom post/arm would be the exact same diameter as the one shown with the baseball bat.

Do you think a post/tube of that same size would fit on the open end of the baseball bat apparatus? It seems like whatever is supposed to fit in there has a smaller tube diameter to me.

Anyone else see this mount style before? Can anyone provide photos of what the arm/tube is supposed to look like that supports the actual tom (again, the mounting plate is exactly the same on the tom, so it stands to reason that the tube diameter of the actual tom arm should be the same as what's shown on the long tube baseball bat part).

Thanks!

V
The mount you show is a made up one..Out of pieces.The tom mount that you need is two tubes that are 5/8s it think in round...Mikey777
Old 01-19-2017, 02:39 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEY777 View Post
The mount you show is a made up one..Out of pieces.The tom mount that you need is two tubes that are 5/8s it think in round...Mikey777
I was thinking the same thing. And...good to have you back Mikey!

-Mark
Old 01-24-2017, 11:04 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Great idea .......

ROGER's
1964 Cleveland,.18/14/12 in WMP
1966 Cleveland, 20/14/12 O'natural.
Fullerton,...20/16/13/12 Silver Glass

WFL
1957 B/R Super Classics In WMP

Snares..
Wood & COB Powertones,
Wood & COB Dynasonics,
57 Jazz Festival

Zildjian avedis cymbals.
40s/60s era.
Old 01-31-2017, 11:52 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Thanks for chiming in everyone, and it's certainly great to have you back, Mikey!

Upon closer inspection, the bass drum mount accepts a 3/4" tube, but the tom mount receiver accepts a 5/8" tube. Weird!

I didn't think I was ever going to find an arm like that, so I just decided to go ahead and go with a 3/4" "Pearl Style" L-Arm for the bass drum, and I'm going to use a (decidedly un-vintage looking) suspension mount on the tom. Although Gibraltar sells a 3/4" "Pearl Style" tom arm, they do not sell the accompanying bracket. I thought I was going to have a heck of a time trying to find a 3/4" bracket but I actually found a NOS (New Old Stock) Dixon, still in the package, for $10 on the bay. If I recall correctly, I think some of the older, red label Yamaha arms were also 3/4" tubing, so if all else failed I could go with that, but it would probably be just as hard to find an older Yamaha arm than it would be a 3/4" bracket! Lucky thing I don't have to now. I hope my somewhat faded blue sparkle kit looks OK with a "Pearl Style" tom arm and suspension mount. I've rarely ever seen MIJ kits with that mounting system. Oh well, I guess mine will be more unique, right? I'll post pictures once I get all the parts I need.

Last edited by vyacheslav; 01-31-2017 at 11:58 PM.
Old 02-01-2017, 12:01 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasehirshiii View Post
Curiously enough, the arm in that picture looks like one "tube" is a little bigger than the other, just like what I would have needed. A rare mount for sure.