Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Drums

Old 03-11-2014, 01:28 AM

Default Vintage Ludwig experts, help! B/O badge COB Supraphonic

Hi guys!

I'd love it if you could lend me a hand with this;

One of my relatives has passed me a very rare item that I am not going to use and so I'm considering the possibility of selling it. It is a vintage 1971 Ludwig B/O badge COB Supraphonic snare drum. Yes, you read well: a COB Supraphonic from 1971

These are the specifications:

- Vintage Ludwig Supraphonic snare drum. It's model ML406 (yes, there is no official Ludwig information on this model!).
- Blue Olive badge (the cut version, without serial number).
- Round knob tone control.
- Date: Nov 17th 1971 (it appears on a sticker in the inner side of the shell).
- Size: 14" X 5".
- COB shell (it weights 8.4lb or 3.8kg, the chrome has no pitting at all and there is a "B" stamped above the tone control).
- Everything appears to be original except for the heads and the snare wires, perhaps.
- The overall condition is above great (see pictures).

I am well aware this is not a common configuration and as of now I have not seen another Supraphonic like this one, although I have heard about them. As David from vintagedrumguide.com said in one of his articles, "We all know there are anomalies and situations that do not apply to the general rules of vintage drums. There are 70's brass Supras and the rumor is that they were special order or endorser drums".

So, with all this in mind, what do you think a good price would be? 600$? 700$? 800$? 900$, maybe???

Thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited by Tommyp; 03-11-2014 at 02:34 PM.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:40 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: Vintage Ludwig experts, help! B/O badge COB Supraphonic

congrats on acquiring that. don't see too many of those at all. I bought one just like it in the last year, but had to pass it along in a big trade deal. yours is in superb condition. mine was the first one that I had run across.

mike
Old 03-11-2014, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlayton View Post
congrats on acquiring that. don't see too many of those at all. I bought one just like it in the last year, but had to pass it along in a big trade deal. yours is in superb condition. mine was the first one that I had run across.

mike
Thanks Mike, it is indeed a beautiful rarity!
Although you passed it along in a big trade deal, would you have any idea of how much this one could go for?

I wouldn't sell something like this under normal circumstances, but at the moment I have another 60s Supraphonic and a 60s Jazz Festival that I am using for my Beatles tribute band. I don't need any other snare drums, but some money to restore my vintage drums!!!
Old 03-11-2014, 11:38 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

sent you a private message..

mike
Old 03-11-2014, 12:46 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

I think you could get 1K for it.
Old 03-11-2014, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramon_Lopez View Post
Hi guys!

I'd love it if you could lend me a hand with this;

One of my relatives has passed me a very rare item that I am not going to use and so I'm considering the possibility of selling it. It is a vintage 1971 Ludwig B/O badge COB Supraphonic snare drum. Yes, you read well: a COB Supraphonic from 1971

These are the specifications:

- Vintage Ludwig Supraphonic snare drum. It's model ML406 (yes, there is no official Ludwig information on this model!).
- Blue Olive badge (the cut version, without serial number).
- Round knob tone control.
- Date: Nov 17th 1971 (it appears on a sticker in the inner side of the shell).
- Size: 14" X 5".
- COB shell (it weights 8.4lb or 3.8kg, the chrome has no pitting at all and there is a "B" stamped above the tone control).
- Everything appears to be original except for the heads and the snare wires, perhaps.
- The overall condition is above great (see pictures).

I am well aware this is not a common configuration and as of now I have not seen another Supraphonic like this one, although I have heard about them. As David from vintagedrumguide.com said in one of his articles, "We all know there are anomalies and situations that do not apply to the general rules of vintage drums. There are 70's brass Supras and the rumor is that they were special order or endorser drums".

So, with all this in mind, what do you think a good price would be? 600$? 700$? 800$? 900$, maybe???

Thanks in advance for your help!
Ramon!

Had to DELETE your pics. File size was way TOO LARGE, plus you embedded within the text box. Result? Impossible to navigate the thread.. and .. no way for us to save/archive your pics. Please DO post em back up as an ATTACHMENT. THANKS!!!

Tommyp
Old 03-11-2014, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommyp View Post
Ramon!

Had to DELETE your pics. File size was way TOO LARGE, plus you embedded within the text box. Result? Impossible to navigate the thread.. and .. no way for us to save/archive your pics. Please DO post em back up as an ATTACHMENT. THANKS!!!

Tommyp
No probs Tommyp! Here they are:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	67919   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	67920   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	153.0 KB
ID:	67921  
Old 03-12-2014, 12:26 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Aren't these the ones specially made for Pro Drum in Hollywood? I have one! Cool drum!
Old 03-16-2014, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage drum bug View Post
Aren't these the ones specially made for Pro Drum in Hollywood? I have one! Cool drum!
Really, vintage drum bug? I never heard about that! Do you know anything else about that? Would love to hear it!