Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Drums

Old 01-15-2013, 06:34 AM
Contributing Member

Default 60's Slingerland help

Hi Everyone -
can anyone identify these shells as to how many plies and type of wood? I believe they are 3 ply maple-poplar-maple but I'm not sure.
It is a mid 60's Slingerland kit in red sparkle. The lugs are the center mounted type with the long tension rods. That's all the info I have. There is one for sale - 22-12-13-16 for $400. The kit is in fantastic condition. Is it worth it? Thanks so much.

Dave
Old 01-15-2013, 09:01 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: 60's Slingerland help

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsansone View Post
Hi Everyone -
can anyone identify these shells as to how many plies and type of wood? I believe they are 3 ply maple-poplar-maple but I'm not sure.
It is a mid 60's Slingerland kit in red sparkle. The lugs are the center mounted type with the long tension rods. That's all the info I have. There is one for sale - 22-12-13-16 for $400. The kit is in fantastic condition. Is it worth it? Thanks so much.

Dave
Hi Dave,

I'd suggest having a look at the VDF "Vintage Drum Guide" site. Once you're there, click on "Slingerland Drums", then "Slingerland Wood Shells". I believe that the information and pictures input there by Dr CJW will provide you with everything (and more) that you'll need regarding your shells. Have fun!
Old 01-15-2013, 09:13 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Thumbs up Re: 60's Slingerland help

Doing some quick skimming in Rob Cook's, The Slingerland Book, it appears mid 60's 3 ply shells are likely the maple interiors.

I love the look of center lug drums..Slingerland called that line "Stage Band" and those thin chrome lines on red sparkle look really great.. IMHO.

Obviously difficult to judge value from your short description but if the drums are in good shape and complete then $400 is a reasonable price.

Best of luck..
Old 01-15-2013, 10:28 PM

I have a 1966 Slingerland kit . After consulting CJW s pages and the Rob Cook book , if your kit was built after 1964 the shells should be maple interior ,poplar in the middle and mahogany on the outside ,then the wrap.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:48 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks everyone!