Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Drums

Old 07-25-2011, 10:19 PM

Default Slingerland Slap Shot Parts??

Hello all, first time poster with a question. I have a Slingerland snare drum that my parents purchased new for me in grade school in roughly 1980. It is 14" x 6" with 12 lugs but I am unsure of the model. It has a 501xxx serial number with the Niles, Ill badge. It is a wood shell, fairly thick multiple layers, with a chrome over wrap.

My question is, the slap shot snare mechanism has broken and I am looking for parts (if possible) to fix it. The plastic guide piece that the slap shot slides up and down on has broken. Any ideas if this is repairable? Would a another mechanism work?

Any help would be appreciated. I tried the search feature but did not find anything. If pictures would help, I can take them tomorrow. I haven't played since having kids and now they are wanting me to play again. Would love to get this drum back up and running. Thanks.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:40 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: Slingerland Slap Shot Parts??

Quote:
Originally Posted by stew View Post
Hello all, first time poster with a question. I have a Slingerland snare drum that my parents purchased new for me in grade school in roughly 1980. It is 14" x 6" with 12 lugs but I am unsure of the model. It has a 501xxx serial number with the Niles, Ill badge. It is a wood shell, fairly thick multiple layers, with a chrome over wrap.

My question is, the slap shot snare mechanism has broken and I am looking for parts (if possible) to fix it. The plastic guide piece that the slap shot slides up and down on has broken. Any ideas if this is repairable? Would a another mechanism work?

Any help would be appreciated. I tried the search feature but did not find anything. If pictures would help, I can take them tomorrow. I haven't played since having kids and now they are wanting me to play again. Would love to get this drum back up and running. Thanks.
Hi, Photo's would help Slingerland used a few type's of strainers on the snare drum...I have alot of these parts just need to know what strainer you have on your drum..Your snare shell is 5 ply maple these are great sounding drums...Mikey
Old 07-26-2011, 02:24 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

If that is a 5 ply 12 lug drum,it very well may be a TDR strainer.I have a Slingerland 12 lug laquered brass Spitfire model and it has a TDR strainer on it,which I think is the best strainer Slingerland ever made.But like Mikey said photos please,and welcome to the forum

Steve B
Old 07-26-2011, 02:54 PM
Contributing Member

That plastic piece is the Achilles heel of the whole system. Over time, that plastic either wears down or breaks. Luckily, a TDR throw/butt fits the Slapshot holes perfectly, so see if you can track one down. I thought I saw one on eBay.

I actually have an 8x14 Magnum snare, and when the throw failed, I had Precision Drum install a Tama Freedom throw. I don't regret it for a second!

Dan
Old 07-26-2011, 09:38 PM

Thanks for the replies. Here are some pics I took today.

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...w/IMG_1501.jpg

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...w/IMG_1502.jpg

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...w/IMG_1503.jpg

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...w/IMG_1505.jpg

Hopefully these illustrate the issue. Sorry, I am having difficulty getting the picture to show in the post.

Last edited by stew; 07-26-2011 at 09:41 PM. Reason: Bad picture links
Old 07-27-2011, 02:04 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Hi, I think i have the parts you need and a complete strainer i will look in my shop later today i let you know...Mikey
Old 07-29-2011, 07:56 AM

Excellent, thanks for the help.