Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > General Drum Questions

Old 03-24-2011, 01:29 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Drum sticks

There is one "Topic' over on Pearl Drums.com on this

Just trying to fine the right drum sticks for me ..I have a sorta kinda of bad 'Cond::

I have carpel tennel and arthrites in my hands and in both arms

when i play or just practicing the sticks kinda of ' Just, slip out of my hand .Just can't hold on to them .I can't play very long my hands wants to tighen up

I been playing with Pro marks for ,i say a good long while now ..think there are skinn 5a or 7a's .or something like that ....On the Pearl drum.com site drummers been telling to ditch thoes that i have been playing with and start playing with liter sticks ...I been have the pians like these for years ...Surgery " NO way .people telling that know some one who hed it done and they had no problems with it .and i had some people telling me it came back on them ...

Please any "Comments" on this post ......I just might have to get rid of my Oak Pro Marks sticks and fine something i can hold on to a little bit better ...So what do you think about .....

Thanks

Last edited by Nsra65; 03-24-2011 at 03:46 PM.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:51 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Exclamation Re: Drum sticks

Please any one the can "Comment" on this post go ahead
Old 03-24-2011, 09:25 PM

Default Re: Drum sticks

Try experimenting with different woods; try something lighter.
Also I would recommend taking some lessons... the right teacher might be able to offer some technique that may improve your ability to retain the sticks with your symptoms.

Last edited by Hoppy; 03-25-2011 at 10:24 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-24-2011, 10:13 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Oak is dense and heavy. You might do better with a lighter wood -- something that will have a larger diameter for a given weight. That way, your hands can be a bit more relaxed. And whether or not you've got carpal tunnel, arthritis, tendinitis, or whatever... Relaxation is absolutely crucial for drummers.

The three most common woods for drumsticks are hickory, maple, and oak. Maple is the lightest of the three, but also the least durable. Oak is the heaviest and possibly the most durable. Hickory is between the two, but usually closer to oak than maple in both weight and durability.

Technique is definitely something that should be looked at as well. It's probably a much bigger factor in this situation than your choice of stick.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:23 PM

Don't change your favorite sticks! There is a litttle gagit you can buy that will keep the sticks in your hand. It is simply a piece of rubber tube tied into two loops. One loop goes on the stick and one loop on your finger. You could try out the idea with a couple rubber bands before you make a set or buy a set. Good Luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsra65 View Post
There is one "Topic' over on Pearl Drums.com on this

Just trying to fine the right drum sticks for me ..I have a sorta kinda of bad 'Cond::

I have carpel tennel and arthrites in my hands and in both arms

when i play or just practicing the sticks kinda of ' Just, slip out of my hand .Just can't hold on to them .I can't play very long my hands wants to tighen up

I been playing with Pro marks for ,i say a good long while now ..think there are skinn 5a or 7a's .or something like that ....On the Pearl drum.com site drummers been telling to ditch thoes that i have been playing with and start playing with liter sticks ...I been have the pians like these for years ...Surgery " NO way .people telling that know some one who hed it done and they had no problems with it .and i had some people telling me it came back on them ...

Please any "Comments" on this post ......I just might have to get rid of my Oak Pro Marks sticks and fine something i can hold on to a little bit better ...So what do you think about .....

Thanks
Old 03-24-2011, 10:36 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

I, too struggle with this from time to time.
Check out the following potential solutions.

http://www.heartbeatpercussion.com/H...rumSticks.html

There was another stick manufacturer in Canada that did something similar, but the name escapes me.

The point here is that these give you a bit of beef for the muscles of your hand to work and yet there is still a nice thin and light shaft and tip for a lighter touch. Was that a run-on sentence?
The fatigue and pain stems from a thin stick which forces your hand muscles to work harder to maintain grip and control. With the shaped grip, it solves that issue. They really are sweet.
Give 'em a whirl and see if it doesn't help a bit.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:07 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Well people over on Pearl drums.com

is telling me to ditch my heavy oak promark sticks and go ahead with something liter then the ones i am playing with now .Think they are the old 7as skinn's heck i had them so long about i say 10 years or more .You wouldn't believe how long i can keep a drum stick with me breaking and just trash them up . got one set that i had over 18 years .,Remember i don't play as hard like the rest of the drummers do out there .I just don't have it in me like i use to have . Called something like a light player but not so heavy at times . If you would like to check out my post over there

In the Gen session section .My name over there is Bad95chevy .topic is Pro Mark sticks , Or drum sticks

Thanks guy for your comments on here ....I am just trying to fine the right stick that fit me the best way that i know how to play
Old 03-25-2011, 10:59 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

i have that problem it happens as you get older and the arthritis dont help either
wallgreens sell these flesh colored nylon half gloves that seem to help try that ive been trying different gloves the thinner the more natural it feels and it seems i have better control , the old days i used a rosin bag it works too
good luck
1964 pioneer nob snare obp that's b for black
1965 downbeat snare cob obp ditto
1962 blue note in sbp
Old 03-25-2011, 11:27 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

You said wearing a 'Glove , might change's my hands a little bit ..From not hurting so bad when i practice ..or what ever ...when i try to actually play a few songs with a Radio ' or with my friends .i just can't sit there and play an hour or 2 ....Might can play about 30 or 40 mins .after that my whole arms and hands start to hurt .I just thow the sticks down and just walk away from the kit for a little bit and then come back and start playing again ...

You said something about a Thinner glove ...Is it a Drummer gloves or what .where can i get me a set of them .....

Thanks
Old 03-26-2011, 10:47 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

hi ive been trying different thin gloves and they sell them at wall greens of all places and i notice a difference there a 1/2 glove like motorcycle gloves except flesh tone and really light weight they seem to work for people with pain. the other day i was doing some work with those disposable gloves not the doctor ones the blue or black and i set down on my kit and played a little and notice a real difference less pain more stick control maybe im imagining this or wishful thinking ,try different configurations of gloves and see what works i also have a pair of real long skinny sticks (very old no # mite b old cadence sticks )the right hand i use a little longer and im not all over the place i play more centered on my small kit and i seem to have more stamina and it works for me but im always changing it up at this age i need all the breaks i can get ,,,hope this helps also try a elbow brace for tendonitis fish oil for the lube on joints etc etc good luck

"if it wasn't for pain id feel nothing at all"
1964 pioneer nob snare obp that's b for black
1965 downbeat snare cob obp ditto
1962 blue note in sbp