Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Drums

Old 01-18-2011, 01:48 PM
Contributing Member

Default Slingerland Radio King Mystery Shell

Hi guys,

I have just bought a 40s Cloud Badge 14x7 RK snare from the states for $250, I have it in the UK now, a couple of extra holes but otherwise in good condition. but I am a bit thrown by the shell construction. I was hoping someone here might be able to shed some light.

It looks to have a thin inner ply of maple with a darker ply(s?) underneath (mahogany? walnut?). Ive uploaded some pics to the link below, showing the different shades of wood throughout the plies and the inner lighter ply. I hope someone can help.

http://gallery.me.com/douglashorner#100112

Best regards,

Doug

http://ukdrums.weebly.com/
http://hindleandheely.co.uk
Old 01-18-2011, 02:27 PM

Default Re: Slingerland Radio King Mystery Shell

I am looking forward t learning something here. I though RKs of the era were solid shells not ply,
Old 01-18-2011, 02:29 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Hi Doug.So do you want the bad news first..or the worst news?Sorry but that drum is most deffinately NOT a true Radio King.True rk's are constructed of a single piece of steam bent maple with maple re rings.They will also have either a clamshell or 3 point strainer.There were some what Slingerland called Student Radio kings but then again Slingerland called a lot of drums radio king,including chrome over brass snares.It does get a little confusing but as far as wood shelled snare drums are concerned ..its not a real radio king unless its a one ply maple shell,and 250 usd would be a steal for an authentic drum.I would look into getting my money back.Sorry my friend.

Steve B
Old 01-18-2011, 03:02 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamadrm View Post
Hi Doug.So do you want the bad news first..or the worst news?Sorry but that drum is most deffinately NOT a true Radio King.True rk's are constructed of a single piece of steam bent maple with maple re rings.They will also have either a clamshell or 3 point strainer.There were some what Slingerland called Student Radio kings but then again Slingerland called a lot of drums radio king,including chrome over brass snares.It does get a little confusing but as far as wood shelled snare drums are concerned ..its not a real radio king unless its a one ply maple shell,and 250 usd would be a steal for an authentic drum.I would look into getting my money back.Sorry my friend.

Steve B
Steve actually that's not true the solid shell is not what defines a Rk snare drum, as you stated, there are other drums with the RK designation, the true Defining point of an Rk Is the extend Bracket's, doug, you may have a student model RK, which would have the shell makeup your showing here post pics of the entire drum if you will.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:26 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

To add more confusion,Buddy had his 1940's "RK" model made up without brackets,so would his drum NOT be called a RK?

Food for thought..........

Blair
Old 01-18-2011, 05:32 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by blairndrums View Post
To add more confusion,Buddy had his 1940's "RK" model made up without brackets,so would his drum NOT be called a RK?

Food for thought..........

Blair
Blair, good point, yes it can even get quite confusing to those of us who have been In it for ever like you and Me!
Old 01-18-2011, 05:37 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagemore2000 View Post
Steve actually that's not true the solid shell is not what defines a Rk snare drum, as you stated, there are other drums with the RK designation, the true Defining point of an Rk Is the extend Bracket's, doug, you may have a student model RK, which would have the shell makeup your showing here post pics of the entire drum if you will.
Sorry but I have to disagree.Radio king snares were also made wth "clamshell "strainers which did NOT have extended brackets(aka Bridges)Clamshell strainers were used more increasingly than 3 point strainers (which DID use extended brackets) from about 1947 on.I know because I'm looking at my Aluminum cloud badge 46-47 Super Gene Krupa 7x14 Radio king with a clamshell strainer and no extended brackets.I think in order to be considered an rk snare other than the student model;the drum can have a 3 point with bridges(except if youre Buddy Rich)or a clamshell strainer without bridges..but the drum must be single ply maple,not withstanding brass snares.

Steve B
Old 01-18-2011, 06:29 PM
Advanced Member

Send a message via AIM to Agopsalott

Maybe not the real Radio King but $250 isn't a horrible price even for a student RC. I had this on. A nice vintage snare IMHO.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:37 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamadrm View Post
Sorry but I have to disagree.Radio king snares were also made wth "clamshell "strainers which did NOT have extended brackets(aka Bridges)Clamshell strainers were used more increasingly than 3 point strainers (which DID use extended brackets) from about 1947 on.I know because I'm looking at my Aluminum cloud badge 46-47 Super Gene Krupa 7x14 Radio king with a clamshell strainer and no extended brackets.I think in order to be considered an rk snare other than the student model;the drum can have a 3 point with bridges(except if youre Buddy Rich)or a clamshell strainer without bridges..but the drum must be single ply maple,not withstanding brass snares.

Steve B
Steve, this discussion is a very old one to us old timers such as myself and blair. Read Rob Cooks bookThe Slingerland Book,, it will set you straight, here is the article about RK's The successor to the Duall and the Broadcaster as Slingerlands top -of -the line- snare drum was the Radio king, to many of today's vintage drum dealers and collectors, any slingerland snare drum that has a solid shell is considered a Radio king, that is Technically Incorrect.
As slingerland produced other models with solid maple shells which were Never marketed as Radio kings, and sold Radio Kings with plied shells, A better way to identify a true Radio King snare drum is by the presence of the snare support brackets on both the strainer and butt ends, these are part of the basis of the patent.
In the patent application of 1937, H.H. slingerland claimed as new and unique the fact that the snares remained active over the entire width of the drum head.Though this certainly was not the first drum to see snares extened off both sides of thte snare head,
Ludwigs super late 20's, Leedy Broadway parallel 1930,and even slingerland duall accomplished this, the same catalog 1936 that Introduced Gene Krupa as an endorsee introduce the Radio King drum, though the patent was not applied for until 1937 and granted until 1939

Last edited by vintagemore2000; 01-18-2011 at 07:06 PM.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:26 PM
Contributing Member

Well it has snare bridges and a 3 point strainer, rk tone control. I know there are true RKs with 3ply mahog shells and without snare gates as I have one. I know Krupa mostly always played the RKs without Snare gates. What is confusing me is the shell construction. Single ply maple inner and mahog (or walnut?) middle/outer?! Anyone seen this kind of configuration before?

http://ukdrums.weebly.com/
http://hindleandheely.co.uk

Last edited by douglashorner; 01-18-2011 at 07:30 PM.