Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Drums

Old 08-26-2006, 04:38 AM
Advanced Member

Default Cleaning white marine pearl wrap

Hi, what can i use to clean white marine pearl wrap finish to restore its colour. Its a premier royal ace snare drum thats yellowed considerably over the years. I remember reading an artical once suggesting such a method, but i cant remember what it was! Any help most appreciated- especially and product available in the UK. Thanks!
Old 08-31-2006, 04:26 AM
Advanced Member

Default Re: Cleaning white marine pearl wrap

Hey Guys! Please! Someone must know how to clean marine wrap! Any help at all most appreciated!
Old 08-31-2006, 09:29 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

You can shine up the WMP with Novus #2. There is almost nothing that can be done about yellowing...this has been discussed at length on other forums. Some folks have used a solvent like acetone or lacquer thinner to actually melt the outer layer of the pearl and then re-lacquered the shell. I think this is over doing it and usualy will destroy the drum. If your drum is yellowed, enjoy the cool look of it...
Old 08-31-2006, 10:06 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

I agree...Its vintage,leave it alone and enjoy the aging process.After all,we,re all getting older.
Old 09-01-2006, 07:21 PM
Advanced Member

Cant argue with that!! Thanks.
Old 09-03-2006, 04:16 PM
Advanced Member

It's funny, but I just recovered a 1965 slingerland kit in WMP, and I am looking foward to the yellowing proccess to add to the actaul vintage date of the kit. Call me crazy.
Old 09-03-2006, 08:24 PM
Super Moderator

PK Drums...

If you just recovered those '65 Slingerland's with one of TODAY'S WMP wraps, you're going to be waiting a real long time for them to yellow... as in pretty much never! :-)

The chemical make-up of today's wraps is completely different, especially with WMP... it no longer yellows over time. About the only thing it will do though, is shrink. You will have to keep an eye on your seams as they will shrink back and start to lift... that's pretty much an absolute. The old/original WMP NEVER shrank or lifted, but it ALWAYS yellowed to some degree, and it was quite a large degree if the wrap was subjected to UV, as in sunlight.

The original/old WMP was called pyralin and was a nitrate/cellulose based type material, it really didn't shrink, but always yellowed. Today's WMP is a PVC based material, colorfast, but it will shrink over time. Today's adhesives also play a role in this... they're just not as tough as the old solvent based adhesives, which are no longer approved or available. But man did those solvent based adhesives hold the wraps on tight! The pyralin wraps are extremely flammable!, the PVC wraps of today are not. Actually, if one wants the old yellowed/antique look of the original WMP after years of exposure, you can now BUY "Antique WMP" wrap material. It replicates the "look" of older/yellowed WMP. I have a snare drum done in this material and it looks like authentic older/slightly yellowed, WMP. Anyway,

Enjoy your re-wrapped Slingerlands!... but don't bet on them yellowing anytime soon! :-)

Tommyp

Last edited by Tommyp; 09-03-2006 at 08:54 PM.
Old 09-08-2006, 10:37 PM
Contributing Member

Leave 'em Yellow!
Old 09-09-2006, 09:25 AM

I love the yellowed wrap..makes them actually look vintage. Rewrapping perfectly fine wrap that has yellowed is (in my opinion) as stupid as putting a honda engine in a MG Midget. (I saw one on ebay like that.)