Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Drums

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 12-12-2019, 09:47 PM
DrumBob DrumBob is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NW NJ
Posts: 877
Default Re: My Christmas Present

Yours is a common problem, and it used to perplex me, and it's why I generally don't use bass drum mounting hardware. Mount your rack toms on a snare stand and buy and attach Booty Shakers to the ends of the arms the stand. These allow the tom to ring to its full potential. These things work beautifully. Mounting hardware tends to choke the resonance on rack toms. You can get Booty Shakers online. Google the name.
__________________
'01 DW Collectors, Oyster White, 10/12/14/16/22
'64 Slingerland, 13/16/20/22 (to be restored)
'65 Leedy, Blue Sparkle, 12/14/20
'67 Ludwig, Burgundy Sparkle, 12/13/16/22
'73 Slingerland, Sky Blue Pearl, 12/13/16/22
'72 Slingerland, Red Tiger Pearl, 12/13/16/16/22
'74 Slingerland Gold Sparkle, 13/14/18/24
'72 Rogers, Black Strata, 13/16/22
'60's Stewart, Gold Glass Glitter, 12/13/16/22
'60s MIJ Apollo/Majestic, Red Sparkle, 13/16/20

Author, "Great Rock Drummers Of The Sixties."
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 12-12-2019, 10:56 PM
johnnyringo johnnyringo is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 4,693
Default Re: My Christmas Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumBob View Post
Yours is a common problem, and it used to perplex me, and it's why I generally don't use bass drum mounting hardware. Mount your rack toms on a snare stand and buy and attach Booty Shakers to the ends of the arms the stand. These allow the tom to ring to its full potential. These things work beautifully. Mounting hardware tends to choke the resonance on rack toms. You can get Booty Shakers online. Google the name.
I have no problem with my tom on the rail mount. It's sounds great just the way it is, but thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 12-13-2019, 12:02 AM
DrumBob DrumBob is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NW NJ
Posts: 877
Default Re: My Christmas Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyringo View Post
I have no problem with my tom on the rail mount. It's sounds great just the way it is, but thanks.
Whatever floats your boat. I have found that the second generation Slingerland Set o Matic holders I have don't choke the rack tom's tone at all. Those are OK, but a lot of the usual other suspects choke the drum.
__________________
'01 DW Collectors, Oyster White, 10/12/14/16/22
'64 Slingerland, 13/16/20/22 (to be restored)
'65 Leedy, Blue Sparkle, 12/14/20
'67 Ludwig, Burgundy Sparkle, 12/13/16/22
'73 Slingerland, Sky Blue Pearl, 12/13/16/22
'72 Slingerland, Red Tiger Pearl, 12/13/16/16/22
'74 Slingerland Gold Sparkle, 13/14/18/24
'72 Rogers, Black Strata, 13/16/22
'60's Stewart, Gold Glass Glitter, 12/13/16/22
'60s MIJ Apollo/Majestic, Red Sparkle, 13/16/20

Author, "Great Rock Drummers Of The Sixties."
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 12-13-2019, 06:00 AM
johnnyringo johnnyringo is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 4,693
Default Re: My Christmas Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumBob View Post
Whatever floats your boat. I have found that the second generation Slingerland Set o Matic holders I have don't choke the rack tom's tone at all. Those are OK, but a lot of the usual other suspects choke the drum.
I don't know dude, both of my kits have the clip mount and both toms sound fantastic.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 12-21-2019, 09:08 PM
marko52 marko52 is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 619
Default Re: My Christmas Present

This is a great kit--really like the black lacquer, the sizes, & the rail mount. I'd love to gig it for a nite. Happy for you.......marko
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 12-22-2019, 02:57 PM
DownTownFarmer DownTownFarmer is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Toronto Canada
Posts: 1,963
Default Re: My Christmas Present

Sweet drums (congrats!), interesting thread, with everyone getting along...that's the Holiday Spirit!


[edit] I meant to comment on the groovy tall rims on the toms, batter side anyway. Do you think they're Rogers tall-boys, Kents, or did Camco use this type of rims? Either way I love em!

Last edited by DownTownFarmer; 12-22-2019 at 02:59 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2009 VSDwebdesign