Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Cymbals

Old 03-20-2017, 03:39 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: Vintage UFIP 20" Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilnar View Post
About the metals scarcity - that doesn't happen from day to day and all over Europe. The cymbal could've been made earlier. The war oficially started in september 1939 by Germany attacking Poland, but I think Italy didn't join any actual fighting until spring of 1940, in France. And AFAIK, UFIP was quite state-subsidized in the fascist era. So it's not all so simple.
Your assessment that it's not simple is echoed in the Luca Luciano book. He suggests that there were shortages at the beginning of the war which were later remedied because the Italian Government decreed that cymbals were important for the war effort and should get their tin and copper. I simplified the account because I was just mentioning what Luca had to say about the time close to 1939. Apologies for over simplifying or quoting too short a passage.
Avedis Zildjian gallery and timeline click here
Old A prices and weights click here
Old 03-21-2017, 12:52 PM

Now I have to go get this Luca Luciano book.
Old 03-21-2017, 04:55 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
You may be correct. im really not sure. Just from what i knew of family history, i knew him to be the owner of this cymbal and knew he immigrated here feom Italy in 1939. It was over 25 years ago when i was trying to gain info on the cymbal after gaining possession of it. It then sat in a case for probably 20+years.
Did he bring anything else related to drums and cymbals? Was he a professional musician. If he just brought that one cymbal among his personal possessions it seems an odd choice for someone leaving for ever with a limited amount of baggage.
Old 03-21-2017, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BosLover View Post
Did he bring anything else related to drums and cymbals? Was he a professional musician. If he just brought that one cymbal among his personal possessions it seems an odd choice for someone leaving for ever with a limited amount of baggage.
I agree and Ive thought about that but I have no idea. He died in 1971. I never knew him. I have though seen pictures of him holding a guitar .