Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Drums

Old 11-11-2018, 08:50 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: Is Chroming Nickel Hardware A Detrimental Modification

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaghog View Post
Chris thatís the best point yet , hardware is removed and replaced constantly , I agree no foul here, and nickel is my all time fave and I spend some time polishing it shows very well...
Gary
Good morning, Gary.

If the consensus was that switched period hardware was a serious crime I'd note it (CHROMED nickel parts done NOW would definitely be noted by me). Part of the reason I would not is that when you state it buyers wonder what else you might have done if in fact nothing else was done, hence, scaring buyers off. I do NOT view switching period hardware, especially if it's rusted/dinged/pitted/bent, as turning the odometer back.
Old 11-11-2018, 09:07 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

... forgot to add : that very particular collectors get bladder infections if everything isn't right with Ringo drums/kits ... red mufflers where Ringo's was red, badges in the middle for pre-serial + particular '64 FT's, etc, etc.

So would THESE collectors have a problem with contemporary chromed period-correct hardware?

No idea.
Old 11-11-2018, 09:35 AM

I'm in agreement about preferring nickel also. It just adds a cool mojo to me.
Old 11-11-2018, 10:25 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

In my breath of limited knowledge , I have notice most buyers want the serious mojo about a kit/ drum etc ,
They are not worried about little differences as in hardware lite fade , and there usually professionals that missed it when they were young , and are willing to cough up the coin for catalogue correct kits pies and all so they can recapture there youth and have all bragging rights to there period correct studio. Now on the other hand the collectors who are looking for long term investment do not care about the era as much as the almighty dollar there the scofflaws to the trade and want a nos drum in original packaging and documents they look for the golden ring now t lastly the collectors who just love the eye candy there the ones who enjoy the love of drums .... sorry being long winded
Gary
67 super classy champagne

once the brass ceases to glitter, and the drum looses its luster, and the stage remains dark, all you have left is the timbre of family. E- bay gd1825
Old 11-11-2018, 06:03 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbs View Post
In the chroming process nickel is the penultimate process before chroming is done so seems acceptable to go one step further to chrome since any Ringo nut will pi$$ & moan that it's nickel.

Definitely not a player's FT: 100% collector's.

I guess a Ringo FT will bring more resale, but that drummer with a 63 DownBeat in Nickel without a FT will be sad one day when his option got Chromed.

You can make both happy by getting chromed lugs.

Are the hoops Nickle too ?

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Old 11-11-2018, 06:38 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddBall View Post
I guess a Ringo FT will bring more resale, but that drummer with a 63 DownBeat in Nickel without a FT will be sad one day when his option got Chromed.

You can make both happy by getting chromed lugs.

Are the hoops Nickle too ?
Everything that came with it is nickel. Will more than likely skip chroming but will search for chrome period parts. I really do not like changing from original condition.
Old 11-11-2018, 08:48 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Is this a drum you are looking to sell or a "keeper"?

If you're selling I doubt any potential buyers are going to make a big issue out of the hardware as floor toms in that size and finish are hard enough to find that most potential buyers will probably pay dearly either way. Perhaps they will swap out the hardware themselves if they get the drum and the rest of their set has chrome hardware.

If it's a keeper then do whatever makes you happy but, again, I wouldn't spend the money on re-plating the original hardware when chrome replacements are so readily available.

Personally I'm not part of the "all parts must be original down to the last tension rod washer" crowd as my feeling is that factory made drums consist of interchangeable parts that were slapped together by factory workers using pneumatic tools and were/are not precious works of art lovingly hand crafted by careful artisans. All things being equal 100% originality is always nice but there is really no way to know whether a part or parts have been swapped out on a drum (if the parts are of the correct era). I don't see this as a license to try to deceive someone but rather as a reality of life that "parts is parts" when it comes to factory made items. I would rather have a fully functional instrument, or one that matches the rest of my set, than one that is all original but not playable or that looks bad. That's just my opinion of course, and others may well disagree, but it is your drum to do with as you please.
Old 11-11-2018, 09:58 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O. View Post

If you're selling I doubt any potential buyers are going to make a big issue out of the hardware as floor toms in that size and finish are hard enough to find that most potential buyers will probably pay dearly either way. Perhaps they will swap out the hardware themselves if they get the drum and the rest of their set has chrome hardware.

If it's a keeper then do whatever makes you happy but, again, I wouldn't spend the money on re-plating the original hardware when chrome replacements are so readily available.

Personally I'm not part of the "all parts must be original down to the last tension rod washer" crowd as my feeling is that factory made drums consist of interchangeable parts that were slapped together by factory workers using pneumatic tools and were/are not precious works of art lovingly hand crafted by careful artisans. All things being equal 100% originality is always nice but there is really no way to know whether a part or parts have been swapped out on a drum (if the parts are of the correct era). I don't see this as a license to try to deceive someone but rather as a reality of life that "parts is parts" when it comes to factory made items. I would rather have a fully functional instrument, or one that matches the rest of my set, than one that is all original but not playable or that looks bad. That's just my opinion of course, and others may well disagree, but it is your drum to do with as you please.
No plans to sell. Just want to get it in top notch collector condition. Not going to chrome. Makes more sense to find another pre-serial FT and switch ... but hearing and knowing how much interest there is in this drum of this particular era it seems that any future buyer would buy it with correct MIJ parts so long as nothing was modified.

I am going to polish w/ Cape Cods for now.

On your 100% original comment on washers, etc : I try, try, try to get everything correct especially when the drum/kit is in top collector condition. Its a passion so I take the time and make the strenuous and tedious effort to that end.

Thank you ALL for your comments.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:24 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O. View Post

Only the collectors are that anal about it K.

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i