Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Drums

Old 02-12-2020, 09:17 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: Why Play Vintage?

It’s the smell ,the nostalgia ,the remembering ,the first gig at 16 with new kit, first time singing and playing out live behind the kit of brand new Ludwig pink champagne holly woods and new zildjians , the whole experience is nothing like today why vintage drums because there still the best in
mho
Gary aka houndog

once the brass ceases to glitter, and the drum looses its luster, and the stage remains dark, all you have left is the timbre of family.
Old 02-12-2020, 10:22 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Just substitute a brand new 1961 Black Diamond Pearl set of Rogers Holiday drums and new A. Zildjian cymbals, and I share the exact same set of fond memories.

Last edited by leedybdp; 02-12-2020 at 11:43 AM.
Old 02-12-2020, 01:56 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheElectricCompany View Post
Shells got thicker, hardware got heavier, drums got deeper, logos got bigger, and bass drum resonant heads went from white to black. The drums of the '80s were louder and projected better, but they lost a lot of character.

People got too focused on isolating the perfect note, rather than capturing the shell make up and head choice and tuning style along with the note itself.

It's like a computer trying to sing the blues. It can hit the right notes, but it can't make them come alive.
Thanks for coming back and clarifying.

Your last paragraph about a computer singing the blues is spot on.
Old 02-12-2020, 02:01 PM

I was mostly broke, and bought older drums because I could afford them.
Old 02-12-2020, 05:07 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by leedybdp View Post
Just substitute a brand new 1961 Black Diamond Pearl set of Rogers Holiday drums and new A. Zildjian cymbals, and I share the exact same set of fond memories.
Wtf
it went by so fast
man those were the best days of our life’s

once the brass ceases to glitter, and the drum looses its luster, and the stage remains dark, all you have left is the timbre of family.
Old 02-12-2020, 10:08 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

When I had nothing but my original Slingerland set, I wanted new drums, so I bought a great set of Pearl MLX drums in power sizes that I kept for several years, then two sets of Tama Starclassics, both of which had birch shells. When I realized I hated the sound of birch drums, those were sold. By that time, I had discovered DW drums and finally bought a set directly from DW, then another DW set from Sam Ash on sale. Sold those, bought another DW set from Guitar Center on sale, then another DW set directly from the company. By that time, I was an endorser. I still have the set I bought from GC, and those are keepers.

A few years ago, I got the vintage bug again and started buying up vintage sets. The first was the sky blue pearl Slingerland set for $550. Then, more sets were added, one by one.

Why do I like them? They have a sound, look and vibe that reminds me of when I started drumming in the 60's. Those were the drums I ogled at fourteen and fifteen. I sent away for all the drum catalogs like we all did. I love the classic look of vintage drums and I like the broken in character of drums with those old growth wood shells that have mellowed with age. I guess it's partially about nostalgia. If so, I have no shame about it.
'67 Ludwig, Burgundy Sparkle, 12/13/16/22
'73 Slingerland, Sky Blue Pearl, 12/13/16/22
'72 Slingerland, Red Tiger Pearl, 12/13/16/16/22
'74 Slingerland Gold Sparkle, 13/14/18/24
'72 Rogers, Black Strata, 13/16/22
'60's Stewart, Gold Glass Glitter, 12/13/16/22
'00's Tama Swingstar, White Satin Flame, 12/13/16/22

Author, "Great Rock Drummers Of The Sixties."

Last edited by DrumBob; 02-12-2020 at 10:10 PM.
Old 02-13-2020, 12:18 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

My first kit was a new Pearl Export kit in the mid 90's. I didn't know much at all about drums as I was a beginning drummer. I played snare drum in band and heard about "pep band". So I jumped on the kit and loved it! Didn't have a clue what I was doing but knew I wanted to buy a drum kit of my own So, after about 20 years I bought a couple more shell packs/kits and after that, I was bit by the bug to collect drums! This is where vintage drums came into my life....the price was the first thing that caught my attention and the fact that they were much better than the new "entry level" kits. Now, I'm not talking about Ludwigs or Rogers or anything, I'm talking about MIJ kits from the 60's. I found a couple sets for less than $100. So the low price was what got me interested and the sound is what made me want to by more. I now have 15 kits (old Ludwigs, MIJ's, Rogers, Gretsch etc.) and only a handful were bought new. Since I was born in the 80's I even consider kits from the early/mid 80's to be "kinda vintage", lol.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	drumRoom.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	129841  

Last edited by ardrummer; 02-13-2020 at 12:21 PM.
Old 02-13-2020, 01:48 PM
Advanced Member

Vintage Pros: Usually lighter shells and not an overkill on the bulky, tank-like hardware - Tone controls (I personally love them, some hate them) - wraps are a lot more unique - more visually appealing - aged wood - each set has a slightly different characteristic even within same brand, construction and era, making it exciting to find a set and knowing you can have two sets that are alike and sound totally different.

Vintage Cons: Mounting hardware - scarcity/expense of parts.

That said: 1) nostalgia and type of music (I play 60s-70s style funk/soul) play a role in wanting to capture a vibe. 2) Living in NYC I end up playing crappy backline kits most times anyway and only really gig with vintage sets for van tours or at events at venues with no backline. 3) There are modern sets with vintage characteristics I'd gladly play (Sonor Teardrops) but for what they charge you're better off finding an old Teardrop and keeping an eBay watch saved and some ear marked funds for spare parts. You still come out spending half of what the new ones go for.
Old 02-13-2020, 08:02 PM
Advanced Member

I just think it's cool to be a part of an instrument's history.
Old 02-13-2020, 08:03 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

My modern DW Collector’s Exotics are great drums. They sound and look good, they always bring compliments on both when I play them out, and they’re built very well!
My vintage kits have a sound all their own! Each different from the other in sound, tone, and looks, similarly to the modern DW’s.
So why play vintage?
It’s like taking a classic car out on a sunny Sunday with the top down. The smell of the gas rich fuel, the exhaust bellowing a loud, full tone, the ability to squeal the tires whenever your foot pleasures to, the color, style, and model of the car.
There is nothing else like it being behind that kit!
1966 Ludwig Downbeat Burgundy Sparkle
1966 Rogers BR Headliner, Factory Original
1969 Ludwig BB Blue Oyster Keystone Clubdate
Early 60's Camco Champagne Sparkle
Snare Drums
A huge pile of 'em! Several rare and one offs!