Old 12-01-2014, 02:21 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Where have all the bargains gone?
You can sing that to the tune of "Where Have All The Cowboys Gone" by Paula Cole.

Seriously, I know this is considered a buyer's market, but each time I look at Cragislist or ebay, I am constantly saying "WTF??"

So many average kits, or kits in poor condition are priced WAY more than they are worth. I know "worth" can mean many things to many people. But I think we can agree that a six lug Luan MIJ snare in blue sparkle wrap for $250 is not "worth" it.

I like getting good deals (who doesn't?), but it seems more and more that they are getting harder and harder to come by.

What do you think is the cause of this? Is it TV shows like "Storage Wars" or "American Pickers", so people think that just because something is old, they can charge a fortune for it? Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's valuable.

I hate to say this, but I think greed has a lot to do with it too. Look at all the people on ebay who part out drum kits to make more money. Don't get me wrong, when I sell gear and want to get a fair price, but it's just that: A fair price that is fair for both parties. Anytime I sell anything on ebay, whether it's tension rods or a full drum kit, I always start the price at $1. Fair Market Value allows the price to be bid up to that "Fair" price. Plus, I believe it encourages more people to bid or watch if the price is low or more reasonable. I have never been disappointed in a bigger ticket item's final sale price. There are times that I thought I could've gotten more, but most people think that way. But that would distort the "fairness" of that price to the buyer, in theory.

I guess I just wish people would be more like they are here............put greed aside and offer your stuff for a fair price and derive enjoyment from providing a fair deal so that someone else can enjoy drums and drumming.

Thoughts?

Last edited by vyacheslav; 12-01-2014 at 02:26 PM.
Old 12-01-2014, 02:32 PM
Contributing Member

Default Re: Where have all the bargains gone?
All round the world young players are looking out for old vintage drums as they have some sort of mystical charm - the market is much larger and more informed than it ever was - thanks to the internet. The classified ads are full of worthless chinese childrens junk sets or ruined broken stuff. If anything good turns up it gets grabbed pretty fast.
Old 12-01-2014, 02:39 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

They're still out there. Picked up a 5 piece Pearl Export with DW5000 pedal, hardware, hi-hat cymbals, splash, crash, ride and other goodies for $200.00 the other day.....
Old 12-01-2014, 02:46 PM
Contributing Member

I blame non-playing collectors for driving prices much higher than their worth as playable instruments.
Old 12-01-2014, 03:56 PM
Contributing Member

I picked up a Ludwig Super Classic with a Jazz Fest snare in White Marine Pearl in almost new condition in Nashville for 900.00 with cases! I consider that a steal given the immaculate condition of the set. I have been offered much more that I paid for the set, but I think I will hang on to it for a while and just enjoy looking at it!
Old 12-01-2014, 06:59 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

its the information highway every time you enter a search, the vdf comes up, when you enter a search it hilarious, just 5 years ago 800 was a average price for a obp jazzfest now the cheapest i saw one was on reverb and it was sold as fast as it was listed it was going for 2500 if i remember right thats cheap for that drum
1967 super classic obp

once the brass ceases to glitter, and the drum looses its luster, and the stage remains dark, all you have left is the timbre of family.
Old 12-01-2014, 07:26 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to Kenwood
I buy entry level taiwan made drum kits any time I see one for fifty dollars or less
Right now I have at least a dozen five piece drum kits none costing more than fifty dollars

I have also bought some really beautiful intermediate level gear for very reasonable prices
some friends of mine who are drum kit resellers have for sale right now
a beautiful Yamaha stage custom kit with Zildjian cymbals for 700.00
I coincidentally bought the identical stage custom kit with stands and a mixture of decent cymbals for 120.00

earlier I bought a PDP CX maple kit in awesome white onyx just the five drums
better than new in that they are mint
and have had all batter and reso side heads upgraded .....all for just two hundred
I had to hunt for the double tom mount and that cost 35.00 but wow are these beautiful tubs
I have a couple other PDP kits one is a CS maple and the other is LX birch I think?
they are dinged up here and there but each kit was fifty dollars with limited hardware and no cymbals
I have a Sonor force 2001 kit 5 pieces in a flat redwood stained finish for 150.00
I sort of go a little Koo koo with the stencil kits
I buy full kits partial kits and orphans just about any time I see them and can get to them
Sometimes or more often than not I always make out well price wise ..but I have also knowingly overpayed because I enjoy collecting them so much My latest find was a little Zim Gar bass drum and mounted tom in (small chip) blue marine pearl
No resonant side head hoop rods or claws on the eight (stage band style) lug bass drum
the mounted tom has the knock off stick savers with a moderate amount of pitting $40.00 and a ride out to Hingham Mass

Some might think what? just a bass and tom? ...What the heck good is that ?
well I have a whole wall filled with bass drums with matching mounted toms in a nice varity of colors
just for display purposes and for the simple fun of collecting
now on most of these I do have matching snare drums also, but on many it is just the bass and mounted tom

I have a small assortment of vintage american drums but nothing super duper nice and/or expensive
save for a 70s Slingerland kit in black with 16"and 18" floor toms and 24" bass drum

So far pricing in my area is moderate to good and usually workable
but I do see lack of knowledge and/or greed on some stuff mostly on the bay
Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Kenwood; 12-02-2014 at 09:50 PM.
Old 12-01-2014, 08:27 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

I just picked up a 70s all original Gretsch concert tom set for $150, pretty nice!
Old 12-03-2014, 12:46 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidh View Post
All round the world young players are looking out for old vintage drums as they have some sort of mystical charm - the market is much larger and more informed than it ever was - thanks to the internet. The classified ads are full of worthless chinese childrens junk sets or ruined broken stuff. If anything good turns up it gets grabbed pretty fast.
+1 to davidh`s comment.Todays market is internet driven and hopefully we`re all a little bit smarter as a result of that.Sure supply and demand will always dictate the bottom line-that`s a given.But i agree with vyacheslav-the good deals are definately on the decline,and the lucky few who find them will become fewer.

Wayne
1966 Rogers cob 7 Line Dynasonic Snare.
1967 Rogers "Humberto Morales" Timbales.
1980 Ludwig B/O badge 14x 6.5 Black Beauty Snare.
1980 Ludwig B/O badge Red Cortex
1988 Sonor "Horst Link" HLD 590 14x8 Bronze Snare
Old 12-03-2014, 10:33 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

That's why on museum quality drums they hold a price point of no other
1967 super classic obp

once the brass ceases to glitter, and the drum looses its luster, and the stage remains dark, all you have left is the timbre of family.