Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > General Drum Questions

Old 09-06-2019, 03:15 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Burswood Drums

About an hour ago, my wife informed me that she had seen a set of Burswood Drums at our local Goodwill. I did a bit of googling but, could find very little info. Does anyone know anything about these drums? I might take a look tomorrow. Thought I'd check with you guys first. Thanks.
Brian
Old 09-06-2019, 04:47 PM
Advanced Member

Default Re: Burswood Drums

I haven't heard of them, but from what I'm seeing, they are pretty cheap drums. The shells I can see look like MIJ shells with vertical Phillipino Mahogany.

Somebody on another forum said his Burswood bass drum measured 21.5 ", not 22", and he couldn't buy a new drumhead for it! I think that says it all!

But hey, it doesn't hurt to check them out.
Old 09-06-2019, 04:51 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Hi Brian!

A quick Google search shows lots of pictures for Burswood drums! They appear to be inexpensive MIT drums. I'd pass on them! Well, let me re-state that; I'd go look at them out of curiosity. If they look something like those in the first two pictures, I'd MIGHT pay up to $25 just to fool around with them. Check out those floor toms. They appear to have 5 lugs per side! The rack toms have 4 per side!

-Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Burswood-1.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	127365   Click image for larger version

Name:	Burswood-3.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	127366   Click image for larger version

Name:	Burswood-2.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	127367  

Last edited by idrum4fun; 09-06-2019 at 04:54 PM.
Old 09-06-2019, 08:45 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Hi all, Yes Mark is right these drums are on the lower end of drums..Floor toms 5 lugs,mounted toms 4 lugs..
These are MIT if I recall new 5 pc sets sell for about 200.00..
I would buy them if the price is 25.00 to 40.00....
Then I would fine a young drummer who does not have a set and give them away...
Even if you got them for 25.00 you maybe would get 75.00 for them...
mikey777
Old 09-07-2019, 05:35 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Thanks very much, guys! I suspected as much but, will probably take a look just out of curiosity. As always, I really appreciate your expertise!
Brian
Old 09-07-2019, 08:40 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty 1322 View Post
Thanks very much, guys! I suspected as much but, will probably take a look just out of curiosity. As always, I really appreciate your expertise!
Brian
Brian!

I completely forgot about this kit that I purchased at a thrift shop...for $25!! It was a Sound Percussion kit, wrapped in cheap black pvc. 14x20 6-lug, 8x12 4-lug and a cool 13x15 5-lug. My girlfriend wanted it wrapped in a beautiful Dark Abalone Pearl from Jammin Sam. Well, there goes the $25 bargain! But, the finish sure is beautiful! Next, I just had to make a 4.5x14 snare drum, with a Keller shell...and wrapped in the same finish. More $$$. Now, the kit just looked too generic with those Pearl-style lugs. Swapped them all for Gretsch-style lugs that fit with no modifications. Now, even more $$$$$$

So, there you have it. Rush down and buy that "bargain" kit, but don't say that I didn't warn you!!

I don't have pictures of the kit with the Gretsch-style lugs. Too bad, because they really make that $25 kit look great!
-Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1819-2.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	127391   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1828-3.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	127392   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1831-2.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	127393  
Old 09-07-2019, 10:42 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Well, guys, you were right! I just returned from our local Goodwill after viewing this set. There was no batter head or hoop on the bass. One of the legs was missing on the floor tom. The rack toms only had four lugs on each and the heads were composed of really cheap plastic. There wasn't even a snare. They wanted $100.00!!! The manager saw me looking and asked if I were interested. I was polite but, told him what I thought and how I arrived at my conclusions. I respectfully told him that I didn't think the drums were worth $20.00 unless someone wanted them for parts and that wasn't very likely. I hate to call any musical instrument garbage so let me just say that this set was not appealing to me.
Brian
Old 09-07-2019, 11:02 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Brian!

It really sounds like you made the right call! $100?!! Insanity, I tell you! Seriously, though, you can't fault your wife calling them to your attention!

-Mark
Old 09-07-2019, 12:42 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrum4fun View Post
Brian!

It really sounds like you made the right call! $100?!! Insanity, I tell you! Seriously, though, you can't fault your wife calling them to your attention!

-Mark
Naw, you're right, Mark! Over the years, she has developed her own type of appreciation for my hobby. She'll let me know if she finds a new "treasure" although I doubt if she's really keen on having me fill up more of the house with my acquisitions! She wouldn't complain though if it were something I really wanted. Hey, my friend, that topic might make an interesting post! Something like: " The Role of Wives to a Vintage Drum Enthusiast". LOL!
Brian
Old 09-07-2019, 05:31 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty 1322 View Post
Naw, you're right, Mark! Over the years, she has developed her own type of appreciation for my hobby. She'll let me know if she finds a new "treasure" although I doubt if she's really keen on having me fill up more of the house with my acquisitions! She wouldn't complain though if it were something I really wanted. Hey, my friend, that topic might make an interesting post! Something like: " The Role of Wives to a Vintage Drum Enthusiast". LOL!
Brian

I think you're on to something, Brian!

-Mark