Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Non-USA drums

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 09-27-2019, 04:21 PM
idrum4fun idrum4fun is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,195
Default Re: Possible buy...what is it worth? Tiger's Eye Crest kit

Yes, Crest labeled drums were built by Pearl! The kit in question looks nice from what I can see. It's a cool wrap with a matching snare AND 12" and 14" toms! I wouldn't be surprised if they're asking upwards of $500, but I wouldn't pay more than $350. I'd really want to see the integrity of the shell and bearing edges, to be sure there is no delamination going on.

-Mark
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-28-2019, 06:32 AM
ardrummer ardrummer is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 724
Default Re: Possible buy...what is it worth? Tiger's Eye Crest kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrum4fun View Post
Yes, Crest labeled drums were built by Pearl! The kit in question looks nice from what I can see. It's a cool wrap with a matching snare AND 12" and 14" toms! I wouldn't be surprised if they're asking upwards of $500, but I wouldn't pay more than $350. I'd really want to see the integrity of the shell and bearing edges, to be sure there is no delamination going on.

-Mark
I'm pretty excited to get it! Hopefully they ship it out to me soon . They have it listed as 13,16,22....hard to tell for sure what setup it is by the pic.

Last edited by ardrummer; 09-28-2019 at 06:35 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-28-2019, 08:04 AM
DrumBob DrumBob is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NW NJ
Posts: 1,009
Default Re: Possible buy...what is it worth? Tiger's Eye Crest kit

Crest was the house brand of a musical distributor here in New Jersey. Don't know the name of the company. Good luck with them.
__________________
'01 DW Collectors, Oyster White, 10/12/14/16/22
'64 Slingerland, 13/16/20/22 (to be restored)
'65 Leedy, Blue Sparkle, 12/14/20
'67 Ludwig, Burgundy Sparkle, 12/13/16/22
'73 Slingerland, Sky Blue Pearl, 12/13/16/22
'72 Slingerland, Red Tiger Pearl, 12/13/16/16/22
'74 Slingerland Gold Sparkle, 13/14/18/24
'72 Rogers, Black Strata, 13/16/22
'60's Stewart, Gold Glass Glitter, 12/13/16/22
'00's Tama Swingstar, White Satin Flame, 12/13/16/22

Author, "Great Rock Drummers Of The Sixties."
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-28-2019, 07:45 PM
ardrummer ardrummer is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 724
Default Re: Possible buy...what is it worth? Tiger's Eye Crest kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumBob View Post
Crest was the house brand of a musical distributor here in New Jersey. Don't know the name of the company. Good luck with them.
Cool! Didn't know that
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-29-2019, 10:47 PM
DrumBob DrumBob is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NW NJ
Posts: 1,009
Default Re: Possible buy...what is it worth? Tiger's Eye Crest kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardrummer View Post
Cool! Didn't know that
The distributor was located in Irvington, NJ. I should do a Google search to find out who they were. I had a BDP Crest set for years that I finally sold last year. They weren't bad drums, all in all; 12/14/20. The guys I play with liked them, but the toms lacked resonance and had hardly any ring at all. They were dead, regardless of what heads I tried, or whatever tuning I utilized.

I bought this set for $120 years ago from some guy in Stroudsburg, PA. As he and I were carrying them out to the car, he had an attack of seller's remorse.

"I shouldn't have sold them for so little! What did I do? You should give me more money for them!"

I said, "I made you an offer, you accepted it. The deal is done. Goodbye."

And I drove away.
__________________
'01 DW Collectors, Oyster White, 10/12/14/16/22
'64 Slingerland, 13/16/20/22 (to be restored)
'65 Leedy, Blue Sparkle, 12/14/20
'67 Ludwig, Burgundy Sparkle, 12/13/16/22
'73 Slingerland, Sky Blue Pearl, 12/13/16/22
'72 Slingerland, Red Tiger Pearl, 12/13/16/16/22
'74 Slingerland Gold Sparkle, 13/14/18/24
'72 Rogers, Black Strata, 13/16/22
'60's Stewart, Gold Glass Glitter, 12/13/16/22
'00's Tama Swingstar, White Satin Flame, 12/13/16/22

Author, "Great Rock Drummers Of The Sixties."
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-30-2019, 11:21 AM
ardrummer ardrummer is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 724
Default Re: Possible buy...what is it worth? Tiger's Eye Crest kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumBob View Post
The distributor was located in Irvington, NJ. I should do a Google search to find out who they were. I had a BDP Crest set for years that I finally sold last year. They weren't bad drums, all in all; 12/14/20. The guys I play with liked them, but the toms lacked resonance and had hardly any ring at all. They were dead, regardless of what heads I tried, or whatever tuning I utilized.

I bought this set for $120 years ago from some guy in Stroudsburg, PA. As he and I were carrying them out to the car, he had an attack of seller's remorse.

"I shouldn't have sold them for so little! What did I do? You should give me more money for them!"

I said, "I made you an offer, you accepted it. The deal is done. Goodbye."

And I drove away.
If you agree on a price and that's it...no take backs Hopefully my kit will have good sounding toms....I have had other MIJ kits that sound great...so fingers crossed!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-03-2019, 12:12 PM
ardrummer ardrummer is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 724
Default Re: Possible buy...what is it worth? Tiger's Eye Crest kit

Haven't got a chance to setup them up/play them. But, here are a few pictures....the kit is in in pretty nice shape! Sorry about the out of focus pics...I didn't realize they were crappy until after I took them. I thought these would be re-rings but obviously they are not. Late 60's probably right? I will get better pics later on, but this is what I have for now
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	127816   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	152.1 KB
ID:	127817   Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	127818   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	127819  

Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-03-2019, 01:18 PM
deansdrums59 deansdrums59 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Lancaster PA
Posts: 435
Default Re: Possible buy...what is it worth? Tiger's Eye Crest kit

Hey, that is a pretty nice shine on that wrap! Looks much nicer than the GC pic. The wrap is really nice. Edges and interior wood looks very clean. I'd say you did good! Were they 12 & 14s for the toms or bigger? Look forward to more pics.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-03-2019, 01:29 PM
ardrummer ardrummer is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 724
Default Re: Possible buy...what is it worth? Tiger's Eye Crest kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by deansdrums59 View Post
Hey, that is a pretty nice shine on that wrap! Looks much nicer than the GC pic. The wrap is really nice. Edges and interior wood looks very clean. I'd say you did good! Were they 12 & 14s for the toms or bigger? Look forward to more pics.
Yes, I'm pretty happy with them They had them listed correctly...22 13 16
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-04-2019, 10:55 AM
ardrummer ardrummer is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 724
Default Re: Possible buy...what is it worth? Tiger's Eye Crest kit

A few more pics....the wrap does have some scratches, but there are no cracks or major damage When I get some more time I am going to set them up and play them (record a demo), and takes some pics with them setup. I was pretty certain these were made by Pearl...but the floor tom leg brackets took out any doubt
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	__.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	127829   Click image for larger version

Name:	_____.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	152.4 KB
ID:	127830   Click image for larger version

Name:	___.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	150.2 KB
ID:	127831   Click image for larger version

Name:	_.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	127832  

Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2009 VSDwebdesign