Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Wanted to Buy

Old 08-06-2018, 11:17 AM

Default Desperately seeking Low Boy!

Hello there! I just missed my chance to round off my very, very vintage drum kit (mostly 1918!), because there was a Walberg and Auge low boy hihat stand on eBay - but darn it, it's gone!

If anyone has one of these that they don't use, please message me! It would complete the kit and is the final bit of the puzzle! I'm trying to wean myself off hihat!
Old 08-07-2018, 10:35 PM
Contributing Member

Default Re: Desperately seeking Low Boy!

I found low boys usually priced way above what I was willing to pay for them so I bought a normal height Walberg and Auge high hat stand for much less money and cut the tube down to make a low boy for a bass drum pedal history display. If you are not concerned about 100% authentic gear, then this makes a much less expensive alternative. I did the same thing with snowshoe pedals, I could not justify the price, so I made some from oak and springs. I added a leather strap on the snowshoe since this picture. I did pop for one of the new DW low boys though. Does that make me a hypocrite? Hope this helps, Joe (my low boy file did not upload, I will do that later if you like, sorry)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Snowshoe_3.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	120658  
Old 01-23-2019, 09:44 PM

Love your home made snowshoe. Well, I finally found a Mr Turner who has a stunning collection of vintage drums and he agreed to sell me his low boy - so my search is over! My kit is complete!

(Maybe just one more cymbal...)
Old 01-24-2019, 10:30 AM
Contributing Member

Congratulations on finding a real low boy. That is quite an accomplishment. Did it include the cupped cymbals? I have found small Chinese cymbals from Steve Weiss Music an excellent substitute. I don't understand the concept of a complete kit. You will have to explain one that to me. I just keep using a drum kit (especially an older one) as an excuse to buy more things that I really don't need and can't justify. That policy has worked out well so far. The only limitations besides money are storage space and my wife's patience. Now we need to find a source of those Duncan vertical cymbal floor high hats that appear to me to be an evolutionary stub in high hat development.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Duncan_Hi_Hat.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	10.1 KB
ID:	123580  
Old 03-09-2020, 07:37 PM

and how much would you be prepared to pay for one of those i wonder.,.,...?? cheers
Old 03-10-2020, 09:51 AM
Contributing Member

I would be prepared to pay a fair price depending on the condition and completeness. They are extremely rare. Is that a rhetorical question or do you have one for sale? Here is another odd high hat I found, no height adjustment and no folding. Thanks, Joe
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Unknown_HH_1.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	130115   Click image for larger version

Name:	Unknown_HH_3.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	130116  
Old 04-09-2020, 07:14 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedal_Pusher View Post
I don't understand the concept of a complete kit. You will have to explain one that to me. I just keep using a drum kit (especially an older one) as an excuse to buy more things that I really don't need and can't justify. That policy has worked out well so far.
"COMPLETE" KIT.....That's hilarious!
20's CONN kit
Vintage traps

Tags
hihat , low boy